It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2003, 08:47 AM   #1

Jerilyn HB User
Post systolic and diastolic too close

What does it mean when the systolic and diastolic numbers are very close? I was told by RN that these numbers need to be 30 points different. My pressure stays high on bottom (diastolic is 92 - 105) and keeps getting lower on top. This morning it was 112/98. Does anyone know what this can mean. Currently I am taking HCTZ 50 mg a day.

Thanks!

Old 08-31-2003, 10:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Hi Jerilyn- The HCTZ is obviously bringing down your systolic pressure beautifully. It would be ideal of course, to see your diastolic # get lower.

However, it seems like you have what they call 'isolated diastolic hypertension' where the upper # is normal and only the bottom # is high.

In many studies,isolated diastolic hypertension was associated with no significant increase in risk for stroke or heart disease/kidney disease.
In fact, the conclusions of a study I read recently were that isolated diastolic hypertension, as assessed by home BP measurements, carried a low risk of cardiovascular mortality, similar to that found in subjects with normal BP.

This seems to suggest that the prognosis of hypertension would be improved by treatment focused on systolic more than on diastolic measurements.

Still, next time you see your doctor, you should discuss this with him/her...I don't know your history or health in general, so the above info is just informational....something to discuss with your doctor.

zuzu xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread