It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2003, 01:15 PM   #1

myid96 HB User
Unhappy 29, very healthy, but have high blood pressure!

I am a 29 year old male, I eat very well, I exercise regularly, and still have high blood pressure (regularly around 150/85) - it's been elevated for about a year, but only this high as of the past couple of months. I've cut out almost all sodium in my diet, I don't smoke, and I drink only occasionally. Medication is not an option for me at this point, unless nothing else works. Has anyone had a similar experience, and found a natural way to lower their BP? I'm considering yoga, and some natural supplements, but would like to hear some success stories before I try everything under the sun. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2003, 01:35 PM   #2

BlueIsland HB User
I'm a 32 year old male that is healthy as well. B/P soars when I go to the doc., so he put me on meds. Now b/p is under control at 116/66 on average. Get ready for what is next... they will want to test for secondary reasons for hypertension. Don't fear the meds. Sometimes high b/p is genetic. The cause of mine is drinking & smoking...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2003, 12:05 PM   #3

Brit1 HB User
I don't think you should panic and start meds at this point. I would try and lose a few pounds if you need to and make sure you exercise for at least 30mins a day. Also try relaxing breathing exercises. There are several natural supplements like Michaels Blood Pressure Factors and also smileherb.com has a tea but you must be sure and drink 3 cups a day for it to help. Cut out all sodium and eat lots of raw fruit and vegetables and drink raw veggie juices (I use a GreenStar juicer they are great tho expensive). Good luck, mine has been on the high side like yours for a couple of years but mine is mostly white coat hypertension so I try and practice deep breathing and relaxation techniques.
Quote:
Originally posted by myid96:
I am a 29 year old male, I eat very well, I exercise regularly, and still have high blood pressure (regularly around 150/85) - it's been elevated for about a year, but only this high as of the past couple of months. I've cut out almost all sodium in my diet, I don't smoke, and I drink only occasionally. Medication is not an option for me at this point, unless nothing else works. Has anyone had a similar experience, and found a natural way to lower their BP? I'm considering yoga, and some natural supplements, but would like to hear some success stories before I try everything under the sun. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Old 07-10-2003, 01:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Hi- I have a couple of questions:
How was your elevated BP discovered?
How many times has it been monitored in the past year?
And by whom/ At home with your own monitor or at the doc's?

If you are taking it at home what monitor do you use?

Has your doctor run all the necessary tests to rule out secondary causes of hypertension?

At 29, this should be an absolute necessity before BP meds are prescibed, and if lifestyle changes aren't doing the trick.

zuzu xxxx

Old 07-10-2003, 03:27 PM   #5

BlueIsland HB User
Or you can go to my doctor who prescribes meds. right away... no questions asked... no pun intended. I guess white collar doesn't exist either....

Old 07-11-2003, 09:46 PM   #6

myid96 HB User
Thanks to everyone for their responses.
I'll confirm this next week, but I think that my high BP is due to kidney problems - i.e. blockage of a renal artery. I just discovered that my father recently had this. I discovered my high BP from a routine physical, and have been monitoring it every day for about 2 months. I've also had "back" pain for about a year, which no doctor ever mentioned kidney problems about. So, I've had to self-diagnose, suggesting which blood tests and imaging to have done. So...for anyone else out there in my boat...get your kidney function checked!

Old 07-14-2003, 08:39 AM   #7

BlueIsland HB User
150/85 isn't horrible, but I would still be tested, especially if the back pain is right under the rib cage in the back....

Old 07-16-2003, 03:26 PM   #8

bwithka HB User
I am 32 years old, run 25 miles a week, eat right, don't smoke, occassional drinker, in my target weight range and I just started on meds. I am not happy about it.

I have friends my age who don't take care of themselves, are fat, drink too much and do drugs and they have no problems. I guess that is why they say life isn't fair.

Meds are starting to interfer with my workouts. Looks like I might have to try something else.

[This message has been edited by bwithka (edited 07-16-2003).]

Old 07-17-2003, 07:55 AM   #9

BlueIsland HB User
I hear you. I'm 32, male, 5 11" 153. I excercise, eat right+++ & have the same issues. Mine might be white coat, because without meds it was usually 140/80 or so. On the meds, it's 116-120/70 after about 50 readings at different pharmacies over 3-4 months. At the doc. it is tends to be really elevated. White coat. I agree. I have friends that do coc, are fat, & drink like fishes & don't have high b/p. Don't get it.

Old 07-17-2003, 11:14 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Tamsin HB User
Genetics plays a big role in this, boys, don't beat yourselves up!

Old 07-17-2003, 12:15 PM   #11
(male)

hpbguyfromca HB User
"""
I have friends my age who don't take care of themselves, are fat, drink too much and do drugs and they have no problems. I guess that is why they say life isn't fair.
"""

This is so true.. folks around me have no problems and they don't do anything to stay fit or eat right.. it's just not fair..

I bought a BP machine several years ago and noticed how my BP was crawling up to 150/90 starting from 130/75 since I was 24. I am now 30 and have HBP, I am on Diovan 80mg and Toprol 25mg p/day.

At first my workouts were dreadful and I could not reach my regular 3.5 miles a day to save my life.. I was just not springing back even though I felt few to no side effects form the drugs..

after about 3 months of trying, I have been able to attain 3.5 miles per day again.

BP is 124/83 +- a few points.

This is definalty a genetic issue for me since i am not overly heavy and only need to lose 10 pounds or so to be in my optimal weight for my height of 6'2" .

My 2 cents..

Old 07-26-2003, 09:09 PM   #12

Brownsugar HB User
Try pure garlic cloves , one a day to regulate your BP. I am 31/female who dos not drink and works out five times a week. My bp has been as high as 190/ 80. I am taking meds but try to cut out sodium and I drink at least 80 oz of water daily. I try the garlic but am not too consistent with taking it. So far though ewveryone I speek to about my bp tells me about the garlic. I think my bp rose during the time I worked two jobs, both teaching jobs, day and evening.

Old 08-02-2003, 10:03 PM   #13

howie HB User
I too have the same problem. Im a healthy 26 yr old male, who's trying so hard to get into the military. I passed everything in the physical, except for the Bp. It seems that everytime I take my Bp, I start to get nervous, my heart races, which then makes my Bp soar to 190/80. When I take it at home relaxed, its a normal 120/70. I lift weights, do intense cardio, and watch my diet. Im very positive I do not have HighBp.
But everytime I take it in the hospital, its always a different story. It seem I developed a phobia of some sort during Bp tests. IS there any natural rememdies to help me calm dowm during this frightful experience.
My panic attacks during Bp's are intense.... Help!!

Old 08-04-2003, 11:01 AM   #14

myid96 HB User
topic author here again: I've been taking garlic, CoQ 10, and omega 3 fatty acids, doing a little yoga and deep breathing exercises in the morning and evening, and SOMETHING is working. my BP has been around 125/70 lately, although it still spikes now and again. so, i've been taking my BP twice each time...the second one about 10 minutes later, after trying to breathe deeply for at least 5 minutes. i dismissed the possibility of my high BP being whitecoat hypertension (high BP due to anxiety of doctor's office), because i take my BP on my own. but it still could be happening. Try some relaxation techniques 2-3 times/day...keep them up for at least a couple of weeks to see a difference. and try the supplements i've tried. beyond that...i'm still searching and researching for answers.

Old 08-18-2003, 09:09 PM   #15
Veteran

pslam 91 HB User
Hi Howie! You are not alone in your panic attacks at the doctors. Ever since I was told my bp was elevated, I have absolutly freaked out! I left one doctor who wouldnt help me with the anxiety. I was told to monitor my bp everyday, but every time I pass by the machines, I panic! Last time I was at the doc(July) bp was 148/90. My heart was racing! I hate doctors! Especially GPs. I think I will take a xanax everytime I go to the drs.(42 yr female)

Closed Thread