It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2003, 11:50 AM   #1

spinraj HB User
Post Relationship between Pulse Rate and Blood Pressure

Hi you folks out there !!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know the relationship between pulse rates and blood pressure readings. Is there a relationship at all or are they independent off each other. Would really appreciate answers from experienced persons...

Old 10-16-2003, 11:33 AM   #2

sunkarthik HB User
HI Raj..

BP & pulse rate respond to body's need for oxygen.

When u do some physical work muscles increase oxygen demand..heart rate increases to pump more blood through the system..and since the volume of blood sent through the system increases BP increases too..

you must however not that since only the pumping action increases not the volume of fluid the diastolic changes only slightly..

Conversely when ur blood pressure lowers heart rate increases to keep up the circulation at required standards..

These are complex systems heart rate is also independently influenced by stress responses in which case even when u are sitting still watching a horror moive ur heart rate may increase..

and when ur kidneys sense the rise in pressure they flush out fluid from blood as urine reducing the volume in the system thus reducing it..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2003, 02:59 AM   #3

wr6969 HB User
Hi there. I think the short answer is "No". In my personal experience (I'm hypertensive with untreated BP reading of 120/90s), pulse rates and BP do not seem to show a correlation to each other. I took propranolol for my BP and about the only thing it lowered consistently was my pulse which went from an average of the high 70s to the low 60s which got my doctor a little concerned as it a "little slow" for a 35 year old. Even then, my diastolic reading most of the time with the medication was still in the mid 80s to 90. I'm in the process of changing meds now.

However, based on the research that I've read on the Net, typically if your BP is too low, the heart responds by beating faster thereby raising the pulse.

Old 10-23-2003, 07:44 PM   #4
Inactive

maxjasper HB User
Lightbulb

here are my Systolic/Diastolic BP vs Heart Beat. It seems there is not a correlation between either of them:
http://www3.telus.net/maxjasper/bp_s...heart_rate.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/maxjasper/bp_d...heart_rate.jpg

Old 10-24-2003, 01:00 AM   #5

wr6969 HB User
Hi I tend to agree with you. Although I do not have statistical/graphical evidence of this, for example, today I had a resting heart rate of about 99 with a BP of 122/85. While both are related to our state of mind (whether you're anxious, nervous, panicky, not had enough sleep), there appears to be no discernible relationship between the two...

Closed Thread