It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2003, 09:26 AM   #1

thouserindallas HB User
Post When your medicine stops working....

Does anyone know why a blood pressure medicine can work beautifully for a few months and then just stop working? I have been on Benicar for a few months and it has been working great for me. The last few days I feel like it might not be working anymore - a lot of facial flushing, headaches. I don't monitor my own blood pressure so am not sure. Anyway, I have been on Clonidine, Norvasc and Atenolol and they all seem to "poop out" after a few months to a year. This really scares me because I am only 34. What do they do when they run out of drugs - start back over again from the beginning? Thanks!

Old 10-25-2003, 10:13 AM   #2
Inactive

maxjasper HB User
Lightbulb

Hi Thouser,
The reason your are looking for might be as follows:

HEALING BY MATERIAL MEANS

Yesterday at table we spoke of curative treatment and spiritual healing, which consists in treating maladies through the spiritual powers.

Now let us speak of material healing. The science of medicine is still in a condition of infancy; it has not reached maturity. But when it has reached this point, cures will be performed by things which are not repulsive to the smell and taste of man -- that is to say, by aliments, fruits and vegetables which are agreeable to the taste and have an agreeable smell. For the provoking cause of disease -- that is to say, the cause of the entrance of disease into the human body -- is either a physical one or is the effect of excitement of the nerves.

But the principal causes of disease are physical, for the human body is composed of numerous elements, but in the measure of an especial equilibrium. As long as this equilibrium is maintained, man is preserved from disease; but if this essential balance, which is the pivot of the constitution, is disturbed, the constitution is disordered, and disease will supervene.

For instance, there is a decrease in one of the constituent ingredients of the body of man, and in another there is an increase; so the proportion of the equilibrium is disturbed, and disease occurs. For example, one ingredient must be one thousand grams in weight, and another five grams, in order that the equilibrium be maintained. The part which is one thousand grams diminishes to seven hundred grams, and that which is five grams augments until the measure of the equilibrium is disturbed; then disease occurs. When by remedies and treatments the equilibrium is reestablished, the disease is banished. So if the sugar constituent increases, the health is impaired; and when the doctor forbids sweet and starchy foods, the sugar constituent diminishes, the equilibrium is reestablished, and the disease is driven off. Now the readjustment of these constituents of the human body is obtained by two means -- either by medicines or by aliments; and when the constitution has recovered its equilibrium, disease is banished. All the elements that are combined in man exist also in vegetables; therefore, if one of the constituents which compose the body of man diminishes, and he partakes of foods in which there is much of that diminished constituent, then the equilibrium will be established, and a cure will be obtained. So long as the aim is the readjustment of the constituents of the body, it can be effected either by medicine or by food.

The majority of the diseases which overtake man also overtake the animal, but the animal is not cured by drugs. In the mountains, as in the wilderness, the animal's physician is the power of taste and smell. The sick animal smells the plants that grow in the wilderness; he eats those that are sweet and fragrant to his smell and taste, and is cured. The cause of his healing is this. When the sugar ingredient has become diminished in his constitution, he begins to long for sweet things; therefore, he eats an herb with a sweet taste, for nature urges and guides him; its smell and taste please him, and he eats it. The sugar ingredient in his nature will be increased, and health will be restored.

It is, therefore, evident that it is possible to cure by foods, aliments and fruits; but as today the science of medicine is imperfect, this fact is not yet fully grasped. When the science of medicine reaches perfection, treatment †will be given by foods, aliments, fragrant fruits and vegetables, and by various waters, hot and cold in temperature.

(Some Answered Questions, p. 258)

[This message has been edited by maxjasper (edited 10-25-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2003, 10:31 AM   #3
(male)

hpbguyfromca HB User
I am very curious also to determine how many folks had their BP meds poop out like yourself.

This reality sucks because if you don't monitor it, you could get a spike in BP which could lead to a stroke or worse.

I "strongly" suggest you pick up a BP reader. I got my BP reader for 35 bucks from bloodpreassuremonitors.com free s/h and decent pricing.

Good luck,
F.

Old 10-26-2003, 01:12 PM   #4
(male)

hpbguyfromca HB User
this one works very well, and it's not too expensive..
[url="http://bloodpressuremonitors.com/A&D%20Medical/Blood_Pressure_Monitor/ua-702.htm"]http://bloodpressuremonitors.com/A&D%20Medical/Blood_Pressure_Monitor/ua-702.htm[/url]

F.

Old 10-27-2003, 06:54 AM   #5
Inactive

zip2play HB User
I see it over and over again with BP meds....latest was Cozaar poopout! It seems to me the body just builds resistance to these drugs.

Possible mechanisms abound:
For diuretics, one might suffer cravings for salt.
For beta blocade and angiotensin receptor blockade, the body might simple build more receptors.
Kidneys might grow more sensitive to smaller amounts of renin and the whole body could be re-wired with more catecholemine receptors and the adrenals might produce increasing amounts of adrenaline and noradrenaline to compensate and the medical profession has NO idea what the pituitary might do while orchestrating the whole shebang.

One MIGHT just keep switching around with different classes of drugs to keep the coping mechanisms off balance....or go the route the pharmaceutical companies like best: MORE, MORE, MORE!

Let's face it, a blood pressure spike is a survival mechanism. It gets more nourishment to every cell faster. Low BP simply doesn't get you out of the way of marauding barbarians fast enough. It's just that evolving mankind had no idea it was going to have to keep people alive into their dotage. Evolution never had to deal with a downside to HBP that shows up later in life. Evolution's goal was satisfied after child-rearing.

My answer (current at least) is to take quite small dosages of 3 classes of drug. I'll continue til this too poops out....by then they'll probably have several new (and more hideously expensive) classes to fiddle with. Perhaps an installed perma-pump to measure BP and squirt out just enough of any of 16 drugs...Cost $2 million.

Old 10-27-2003, 07:23 AM   #6

thouserindallas HB User
Thanks for the imformative responses! I just like my Benicar so much that I hate to go off of it. Maybe my doc will just add a beta blocker to go along with my Triamterene/HCTZ and Benicar. I just wish I could get more than a few months out of a drug. Clonidine controlled my blood pressure the longest - almost 2 years. It is just a scary thought that they might run out of medication. My doctor always told me I was a 3 drug candidate. I guess he doesn't expect to control my blood pressure with just 2 drugs. Yuck!

Closed Thread