It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
What's for lunch, dinner or even breaksfast?

Thought it would be fun to exchange menus (B/P healthy) to help add some variety to our daily meals.

Here's what I had today for breaksfast after exercising:

A Smart burger (vegetarian) on whole wheat toasted bread (P. farm) with a slice of Kraft American cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, relish, red onion, low fat Miracle whip.
Along with my sandwich, I had a tasty homemade vegetable soup (no meat, no fat, no salt). For dessert, I quickly microwaved a macintosh apple with 2 tsp brown sugar & 1 tsp flesichman's margarine & a sprinkle of lemon juice. I sprinkled 1/4 cup of homemade granola on top for a very satisfying dessert.

Many of the vegetarian burgers don't have any fat although I add a tsp of olive oil which I smear on the top & bottom. The smart burger only has 90 calories & 12 gms of protein. I also like the chicken patties by Morningstar Farms. There are many varies of vegetarian patties most of which have too many spicies for my sensitive tummy.

The smart dogs are another veggie product that I like.

I eat early in the day because of my acid reflux so that I don't have to take more meds for acid reflux.

Fam

Old 01-23-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: What's for lunch, dinner or even breaksfast?

Your diet sounds interesting and certainly tastier than mine, especially the burger.
I had a handful of nuts in the morning, a slice of dry wholewheat toast for lunch, a plate full of a variety of veggies including asparagus with one slice of meat for my main meal around 5:30pm. My dessert consisted of an orange and a banana at 8.00pm. How does that sound? I am trying to get away from complex carbs and hope this is healthy enough. I read that people should count the nuts, and have no more than 20 a day. I refuse to do that as it sounds somewhat......well.....nutty!

flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

For supper I have 2 cups of milk, a slice of cheese, yogurt & raspberry jam with my evening med. I have to dilute my lebetalol tablets in water because I have a swallowing problem caused my the thyroiditis that I had in the 70's.
Fam

Old 01-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

For supper I have 2 cups of milk, a slice of cheese, yogurt & raspberry jam with my evening med. I have to dilute my lebetalol tablets in water because I have a swallowing problem caused my the thyroiditis that I had in the 70's.
Fam

Old 01-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

FG,

Nuts for breaksfast is probably easier than cooking something & provides some staying power in the stomach for your meds because of the fat. 1/2 cup I would think would be a handful. That's about 400 calories & 40gms of fat. A slice of bread for lunch probably is about 100-150 calories & 2-5 gms fat 7 & 1 gm protein. Then supper probably provides the vegetable group pretty well.

So you probably have just enough protein if you are an average size woman. What I learned is that when calculating protein, one goes by the ideal weight as that is lean body mass that has to be maintained whereas fat doesn't have to be supported.

I'm concerned about the banana with a orange in terms of blood sugar level which I know you said was an issue. It seems to me I remember somewhere learning that one should always have some protein with a high sugar food to help prevent sudden blood sugar surges. The orange would help with the fiber to slow down digestion. On the other hand a orange would increase acid reflux especially right before going to bed.

Do you take your morning meds with the slice of bread or are you taking them before leaving for work.

Where's the milk group? Fam

Old 01-24-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Fam,

My friend, a pre-diabetic, told me to cut out the milk. She had been asked to do this by her dietician. It does something - I forget what- that affects the glucose levels. When I last saw my dietician, she told me to cut back on the yogurt because I was eating so much of it at the time. I stopped buying it altogether.
From the milk group, I sometimes have a piece of cheese or a glass of milk. Not too much, I have to watch my cholesterol levels and the calories. I've been wanting to talk to my other friend who has diabetes about these things but haven't had a chance. I don't know how well informed she is, having been diagnosed just last year. We used to have all kinds of books on this subject, purchased after my hubby's diagnosis of diabetes. I gave them away long ago. I hope I don't have to buy them all over again...
I eat the nuts because I cannot take the meds on an empty stomach. I doubt they would stay down if I did that. Sometimes I have a soft kiwi or an orange instead. These are the things I can eat when I am nauseous, which is every morning. I wake up that way. How's that for being allergic to mornings? A girl from work suggested soda crackers. Of course, they'd have to be salt-free.

I am really confused regarding what I should or should not eat. I talked to a pharmacist today (had to get Nexium and a Norvasc info sheet) who offered conflicting advice. As far as I know I don't have to watch the amount of protein I eat. I am not sure though. I think I need to talk to a dietician again. I had the testing done at the hospital this morning. I won't go back for the results until my next day off. I am thinking of not going back there at all. It would be nice to see my glucose level reduced to normal.
I had bread with butter twice today (bad) and a small strawberry shortcake for dessert which I'd made using no sugar. I cooked salmon fillets for my lunches for work. Fish is good in any diet and always a safe bet.

flowergirl

Old 01-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Famnd and Flowergirl,

I EXERCISED today...walked the dog for 1/2 hour, .

Am anxious to follow this post for ideas.

Want to follow DASH diet strictly and see if I can bring my pressures down some more...reading this am was 133/84.

Although I don't follow the DASH strictly, I have made a concious effort to increase the amount of fruit in my diet---I think it wards off those chocolate and ice cream cravings.

Bethsheba

Old 01-28-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Beth, that's terrific!!! What kind of dog do you have?
Your Dog must be in doggie heaven.

I just found out something that is new to me. My thyroid may share some of the blame for my weight gain. At times I am hypothyroid & apparently one only needs about 800 calories a day so I may have to adjust my diet at those times. I got the info from The thyroid source book which is written by Rosenthal with a foreword by Robert Volpe'. I will ask my Endo next month. At times though I am slightly hyper when the thyroid tissues tear off & put extra hormone into the circulation.

Getting all the food groups in 800 calories would be a feat.

I know I don't get physically hungery very often so it could make sense that I'm just not burning calories very fast especially given my amount of exercise.

I've finally lost 2 1/2 lbs. It has taken me a awhile to get into the groove of writing everything down etc. I went to Staples & got my diet journal put together with a red cover along with a plastic back so I can see it easily. I wanted the inside to look nicer but it was taking too much time to do that so I thought it is better just to get it done. I'm writing all my favorite menus down with the calorie count so I can just write what I eat & not have to calculate.
everything.

I find cleaning out drawers etc. (Lord knows they need it) helps keep my mind off food. I've asked my husband to keep his goodies out of the kitchen area so I don't have to look at them. I don't like what he eats most of the time but might be tempted if it is just sitting there.

Just saw Beth Midler on Oprah today. She is 61 & looks great. I should look like that I said!!!

Martha Stewart has started a get healthy/weight loss portion to her program which is inspiring.

Let us know how the Dash works for you. You probably have to tailor it to your needs. Didn't you get the latest book about Dash? Fam

Old 01-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Beth,

what a great news! Exercise will benefit both you and your pup. It will help you lose those unwanted pounds and improve your breathing and circulation as well as condition many of your muscles, including the heart. Didn't it feel good being outside? (unless it was forty below zero-I hope not!) Your daily walk will come to mean a lot to you and you'll find yourself looking forward to it. So will your dog.
Including more fruit in your diet sounds good and is the right thing to do. How about incorporating more vegetables into your diet? I have successfully done that.
I bring a bag of veggies to work - four or five vegetables of different shapes and colors (pre-cut from home) and arrange them nicely on a WHITE plate. You should see some of my one minute creations. Very appetizing and filling and a pleasure to eat. A bit of meat or cheese or both goes in the middle of it and that's my lunch. (No dressing, just the fresh veggies). I drink a large glass of water with it. Very healthy and calorie-wise. It has not helped me lose weight though but surely would help anyone who is not on several weight-gain promoting drugs. I don't think my inability to lose those extra pounds can be attributed to my bread consumption entirely. The medications I take have a lot to do with it. Oh well. I like bread too much and am not willing to give it up. I don't care what diets I have to follow. If I'll never lose weight because I consume too many carbs, so be it.
I am starting to do some resistence exercises, a few minutes at a time, here and there. Nothing much yet but I'd like to get back into my routine which was 1/2hour a day of this plus all the walking. Well, I'll have to skip the long walks so perhaps can do a bit of the elliptical or a bike or just plain exercises instead.
Good luck with your weight loss and exercise! Way to go!

flowergirl

Old 02-01-2008, 05:11 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
Beth, that's terrific!!! What kind of dog do you have?
Thanks, famnd! I have a little mutt with short legs and a long body. She's an older girl so we move about the same pace. It's difficult to go far because she has to check out the boys at every tree, . But at least we got out for a few minutes...the intense cold is back so it may be another week before we can do that again.

Quote:
My thyroid may share some of the blame for my weight gain. At times I am hypothyroid & apparently one only needs about 800 calories a day so I may have to adjust my diet at those times.
I'm not surprised about your thyroid's role in the weight gain, but I really question the 800 calorie diet. It's been a lonnnng time since I've been in school, but I remember them saying that 1200 calories was the lowest one could go and get the needed requirements...and given the fact we are middle aged, we probably need more nutrients (from food) because our bodies process things differently.

I have little or no knowlege or experience with the thryroid or endocrine system so I'm at a loss as to what to say. I rely on your expertise in this area (and I know it's an important area), but if I happen along any info, I'll pass it along.

I know weight can play a major role in bp reduction but perhaps in your case it may be more beneficial to focus on nutrition. My family has been gone for many years now, but most of them were overweight, some to the point of being obese. As I grew up I watched them eat everything we are told not to--lard crust pies, hearty helpings of pork, bacon daily, and we won't mention the sweets . Despite this they lived long healthy lives (80's and late 90's). Some people may attribute this to "good genes"...but I suspect it had more to do with the fact that although they ate lots of "bad" stuff, there was always a variety of foods, with lots of fruits and vegetables at every meal

Quote:
I've finally lost 2 1/2 lbs.
Famnd, that is absolutely MARVELOUS!!

Quote:
I'm writing all my favorite menus down with the calorie count so I can just write what I eat & not have to calculate everything.
What a wonderful idea! I'm going to do the same, .

Quote:
I find cleaning out drawers etc. (Lord knows they need it) helps keep my mind off food.
Well, I don't know if this is keeping my mind off of food, but I've been doing the same. I'm still trying to recover those "lost" years on bp meds. Famnd, I should have kept a journal of where I've "found" some of my stuff. The latest "find" is the rubber seal/gasket for my blender--I found it on a bathroom shelf underneath a stack of bracelets that I haven't worn in years, . It may be a good thing I'm single...I would have been committed if I had lived with anyone while I was taking those meds...

Quote:
I've asked my husband to keep his goodies out of the kitchen area so I don't have to look at them. I don't like what he eats most of the time but might be tempted if it is just sitting there.
That sounds like a good idea.

Quote:
Just saw Beth Midler on Oprah today. She is 61 & looks great. I should look like that I said!!!
Love Bette Midler!! Wish I would have seen that program.

Quote:
Let us know how the Dash works for you. You probably have to tailor it to your needs. Didn't you get the latest book about Dash? Fam
I don't know if it's the latest book about DASH, but I did buy it (paperback) in the last year. Although I haven't checked the menus, I'm more likely to follow the book because that way, I don't have to write everything down, ...and besides I'm not too fussy about what I eat.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Got a worm on my computer and had to dash stuff off at the library...it's busy there as I was competing for computer time with all the students,

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-01-2008 at 05:13 AM.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:25 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
...what a great news! Exercise will benefit both you and your pup.
Of flowergirl, I know, but your message is inspirational so I will try harder...I feel very, very guilty because I know how hard you and others are working on this despite the odds you work with.

Quote:
I bring a bag of veggies to work - four or five vegetables of different shapes and colors (pre-cut from home) and arrange them nicely on a WHITE plate. You should see some of my one minute creations. Very appetizing and filling and a pleasure to eat. A bit of meat or cheese or both goes in the middle of it and that's my lunch.
That's my idea of a perfect lunch! It sounds wonderful, flowergirl!!! I love the idea of the different shapes and colors!! I'm all for presentation as if it doesn't look good, one isn't going to eat it. I really have to drink more water...I like it with a bit of lemon so perhaps if I buy some lemons I'd be more likely to drink it.

Quote:
I don't think my inability to lose those extra pounds can be attributed to my bread consumption entirely. The medications I take have a lot to do with it. Oh well. I like bread too much and am not willing to give it up. I don't care what diets I have to follow. If I'll never lose weight because I consume too many carbs, so be it.
I would agree, especially if you're eating whole grain breads as they will help control your cholesterol levels.

Quote:
I am starting to do some resistence exercises, a few minutes at a time, here and there. Nothing much yet but I'd like to get back into my routine which was 1/2hour a day of this plus all the walking.
I would, too. Back when I was on the hctz, I was seeing a physical therapist for the pain, and at that time got some good resisence equipment (rubber bands of varying "strength?" I haven't done ANY exercise since (it's been 3 years) so it's back to the basics for me. Would do anything to work with that therapist again as she was fantastic.

Quote:
Good luck with your weight loss and exercise! Way to go!
flowergirl
Thanks for the motivating post, flowergirl! Good luck with your weight loss and exercise, too!

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-01-2008 at 05:26 AM.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:57 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Beth,

It's go good to hear you've taken steps to keep that blood pressure within a healthy range.
I am not so sure about the vegetable component of my diet anymore. Can eating too many vegetables do people harm? I am starting to wonder. As with everything else, one can have too much of a good thing (I think). How much is too much? That's the big question. I know how important including all of the food groups in one's diet is. I do that though I've cut down on dairy products (yogurt & milk) and try to consume less bread (wholegrain). I eat a healthy diet and most people would not see anything wrong with it. I am now less sure than ever about what is right for me to eat and what is not. I am quite confused. I even question the need for a low sodium diet at this point and wonder about its effects on total sodium levels and similar things. All I could think of today while eating my lunch was whether or not I SHOULD be eating it and how it might affect my potassium levels. Isn't anything simple and straightforward anymore?

flowergirl

Old 02-02-2008, 05:48 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
... Can eating too many vegetables do people harm? I am starting to wonder....
No, I think it is safe to say that too many will harm you as long as there is balance and as long as you get your nutrients. Strict vegetarians run into trouble with nutrition because some of the Vitamin B's (which are needed to prevent anemia) can only be gotten from animal sources, so you might want to read up on that. Oh, and just fyi, I found an example in my DASH book that may be of interest. In a study with Benedictine monks and Trappist monks, they found that only 12 percent of the Trappist monks had hypertension versus 30 percent of the Benedictine order. The difference? The Benedictine monks ate meat but the Trappist monks did not.

Quote:
...I do that though I've cut down on dairy products (yogurt & milk) and try to consume less bread (wholegrain).
I hope you have not cut down too much! Calcium and fiber are critical for the control of hypertension. Oh, and I should have made a note of it for you (because I thought of you when I read it) but grapes are very good for hypertension...

Quote:
I am quite confused.
Understandably so. Can you get in to see a dietician again? I think given your diet this would be important to do, if not critical.

Eating should be fun...even when one has limitations. Do try to see a dietician and reduce some of the stress you are feeling about eating. You need to eat and it shoud be enjoyable!

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-02-2008 at 05:49 AM.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:22 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

How very interesting!

Beth, thank you so much for your comments. I was not sure about where to start looking for information or answers. I did some reading this morning about the sodium uptake and regulation. How very complicated...boggles one's mind. I don't think I'll ever understand it completely. Just made myself realize how badly I need a good kidney book. That's where a lot of hypertension (and other) problems originate.
I would like to read the study about the monks and their diet. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I will look it up. I do not plan on eliminating the meat completely. I only stay away from those meats that are high in sodium, or fat or red meat. We have meat maybe twice a week. I only eat a little bit of it because I also have to watch my cholesterol and am not sure whether I should also watch my protein intake.
I happen to like chicken (though my husband HATES it now because that's all I cook (besides wild salmon) when I cook.....so guess what's for dinner? A chicken breast stirfry, of course!
My girlfriends and coworkers also recommend a session with a dietician to help me sort things out. I will wait with that until I know what/if any changes to my diet need to be made. Meanwhile, when I go shopping later today, I will buy some wild salmon fillets for my lunches. Pretty boring but safe.

flowergirl

Old 02-02-2008, 09:51 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
... Meanwhile, when I go shopping later today, I will buy some wild salmon fillets for my lunches. Pretty boring but safe...
Oh, flowergirl, I do not think salmon fillets are boring at all. Quite the opposite...a delicacy, a luxury, a trip to heaven, .

Please, oh please, invite me to supper!

Bethsheba

PS I have read that getting quality sleep lowers one's glucose levels...will have to post my findings when I finish my reading.

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-02-2008 at 09:52 AM.

Closed Thread