It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 08:45 AM   #31
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User
Re: BYSTOLIC (Nebivolol) - New Hypertensive(Beta Blocker)Medication

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntbd View Post
Hi, Ace. Earlier in this thread you mentioned knee pain from the nebivolol. What particular knee structure was involved... tendons, cartilage? And what is the mechanism for the knee damage?

Hi ntpd,

To clarify the knee pain, I did not get an official MD evaluation. The pain was more of a sore/joint pain. I've become accustomed to the various ache and pain side effects of medications. With most prescriptions, I keep track of cause and effect before I get an official dignosis. It appears that after about a month, my body must have adjusted to the med. because the knee symptoms are much better.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:29 AM   #32
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
ACE,

thanks for the update. It's nice when you can (or HAVE TO) try different medications to see which one works best. It"s even nicer when you can try several within the same drug class.

I am glad to hear that Bisoprolol is considered the strongest beta blocker by some. I wonder why. There are tables comparing the various beta blockers in one of my books with only the clinical data. I'll try to find out more. I read anything I can about the drugs I have to take and always learn something new.
Do you combine the beta blocker with another blood pressure medication? Sorry, I don't remember. Whatever the case, I am glad it's working.

flowergirl
Hi Flowergirl,

Being I had prescriptions from several beta-blockers, my doctor gave me the OK to see which one I feel better taking. ( As long as they are were in the same beta-blocker class, which is BETA1.) He was not to keen on COREG, he believes COREG is excellent, mainly for heart failure. I have prescriptions for BETAXOLOL (Kerlone), BISOPROLOL (Zebeta), NEBIVOLOL (Bystolic)and METOPROLOL (TOPROL) and in both Generic and Brand forms. I find a big difference between certain generic versus brand meds. For ex. the Generic Bisoprolol seems so much milder than the brand drug ZEBETA. When I took the ZEBETA tablets, I felt completely exhausted and weak for several days. My blood pressure was also much lower. The generic brand was much milder and not as potent. Do potent side-effects always equate to better blood pressure control??? Maybe.. But some of these side effects I can live without.. The BETA1 blockers are all mostly the same, they slow down the heart-beat, cause fatigue, raise cholesterol and Triglyceride levels, lower HDL cholesterol etc. My Total cholesterol was about 25 points higher and my HDL 5 points lower on my last checkup 2 weeks ago. It appears all beta blockers negatively affect cholesterol levels, as do many other medications. The benefits of beta-blockers are numerous in most large research studies. (It's a double edged sword) The main reasons I am remaining on the Bystolic is for the better heart rate control, no GI/bowel issues and better sleep.

P.S My other medications are 4mg of Perindopril (ACEON), 20 mg of PRAVACHOL and 3000 mg of IR NIACIN.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #33
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
I had prescriptions from several beta-blockers
I wonder how well this arrangement might work. I think it's rather uncommon to be allowed to experiment with several drugs on your own, and given prescriptions for them. (Our doctors are usually the ones doing the experimenting ) My main concerns with this approach would be:

Who performs periodic evaluation of each drug's effectiveness?
Is sufficient time allowed for each medication to reach its maximum therapeutic effectiveness?
What if there are residual effects of the previous medication in the system at the time of starting a new one? This would make the new medication appear more effective than it really is.
Can peak effectiveness be achieved without titrating the drug? (e.g. on the same low starting dose)

Well, I am glad to hear you have tried them all and found one that's perfect for you!

Quote:
I find a big difference between certain generic versus brand meds
So many of us would agree with you! There is not supposed to be any difference - say the pharmacists - but we know better!

Quote:
It appears all beta blockers negatively affect cholesterol levels, as do many other medications. The benefits of beta-blockers are numerous in most large research studies. (It's a double edged sword)
Do you find that the Pravachol corrects your cholesterol levels? Is it worth taking? Have they returned back to normal?

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 05-16-2008 at 11:33 PM.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:40 AM   #34
Senior Veteran
(male)

Flowergirl,

My doctor believes that almost all beta blockers are similar. TOPROL being the best. He believes TOPROL is the most prescribed, the most popular, the most researched, is highly effective, positive results in almost every major trial, works excellent with every major class of heart medication, All side-effects are well documented through-out the span of over 20 years. (Should I say more about his beta-blocker preference??). I think he let me sample the various beta-blockers for several reasons, mainly because he is happy about the fact that I'm taking a blood pressure medication and trying to better control my blood pressure. Also, about 5 years ago I stopped taking my beta-blocker TOPROL along with ALTACE (He was very reluctant about me dropping the TOPROL) though he switched me to only DIOVAN. Also, my blood pressure readings for the past few years have been mostly normal, or ranged from mild to moderate. Lastly, I requested the beta blocker this time due to occasional anxiety/tension/stress/agitation etc. (maybe he thinks I'm neurotic) Anyway, he wrote me a prescription for TOPROL and later for the others. He gauges my blood pressure by my frequent periodic checkups and blood tests for Cholesterol/LIPIDS and Liver checks to monitor the NIACIN/PRAVACHOL.

In regard to PRAVACHOL, Yes - It definitely controls my cholesterol levels. To be honest, I do not always take the Pravachol daily (as prescribed). Especially, if I feel any sign of muscle soreness or pain. It appears that statins make the soreness worse (perhaps, the statins are what's causing the muscle soreness to begin with) When I took LIPITOR (10 mg) approx 6 years ago, my neck and shoulder soreness had become almost intolerable. My doctor told me to stop the LIPITOR and suggested either PRAVACHOL or LESCOL.

P.S. I have my next blood test in about 5 weeks. Let's see if my daily diligence to taking Pravachol lowers my sudden increase in cholesterol since starting BYSTOLIC. If not, I may have to live with the nightmares and switch back to TOPROL. My doctor would be ecstatic.... and then I would have to hear the "I told you so's"

Old 05-19-2008, 11:05 PM   #35
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi ACE,

thanks for clarifying your beta blocker prescriptions. Your doctor sounds like someone you can really trust with your health (in spite of his pharmacological preferences). Your normal blood pressure and cholesterol levels speak for themselves. The drugs taken to get such good results are really not important - only the end result is.
How interesting that Toprol had no effect on your triglyceride and HDL levels and Bystolic has altered them! According to my book about cardiovascular drugs, it is mostly the non-selective beta blockers that raise the triglycerides and lower the HDL levels. My personal experience is slightly different. My cholesterol levels were great on a non-selective beta2 blocker. Not so on a beta1 blocker. Perhaps other factors or meds have contributed to the changes. Just goes to show how different we all are. I am glad your cholesterol levels are back to normal!

FG

Old 05-20-2008, 06:08 AM   #36
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Flowergirl,

To clarify -- When I took TOPROL, my HDL dropped on avg.more than 10 points (from about 50 to a low of 39) and my Trigs. increased from about (150 to 250) My doctor could not believe TOPROL could change my numbers so much. When I dropped the TOPROL my HDL jumped to about 47 in three months and my TRIGS around 200.

Taking NIACIN and PRAVACHOL without a beta blocker for the past few years my HDL was always about 52 - 58, and my TOTAL chol. about 200 - 215. While on beta blocker's recently (mainly BYSTOLIC) my TOTAL chol on my last checkup was 266 and my HDL 49.... Though I must admit, I also gained approx 7 pounds since last year, and being my blood test was shortly after EASTER, I may have over-indulged on holiday cakes and sweets etc....

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-20-2008 at 06:11 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 05-21-2008, 10:11 PM   #37
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ace,

I think you mentioned staying on Bystolic. Will you keep taking both Niacin and Pravachol and hope for best? What if they are not strong enough to counteract the effects of your beta blocker? Are you prepared to either try another medication or increase the dose of Niacin and Pravachol? It seems that adjustments to our drug regimens are necessary on an on-going basis, because nothing stays the same for long.

Besides the beta blockers, Hctz also affects the cholesterol levels negatively. I take both of these meds. I'd be very surprised to see any improvement in my cholesterol levels since last tested.
I read that the beta blockers with ISA (intrinsic sympathomimetic activity) such as Sotalol, Acebutolol and Pindolol, do not seem to have adverse effects on the blood lipids. Maybe the low level of agonist activity they exert, in addition to acting as receptor site antagonists, somehow keeps them from interacting with the metabolism of fats. Losing those extra pounds might help a little.
Sugar, NOT fats, is the number one bad guy and causes the most damage to our bodies.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 05-21-2008 at 10:13 PM. Reason: typo

Old 05-26-2008, 08:58 AM   #38
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User

ACE28,
You mentioned you are splitting the 5mg Bystolic and taking 2.5mg. Do you have any problems splitting the pill?

Old 06-02-2008, 07:29 AM   #39
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
ACE28,
You mentioned you are splitting the 5mg Bystolic and taking 2.5mg. Do you have any problems splitting the pill?

Yes - The 5 mg pill can be split, but it is very inconvenient. The pill shape is triangular with no score line. BYSTOLIC supposed to be offered in a 2.5 mg size in the U.S. in the near future. At least the pill is offered in tablet form as opposed to capsule or gel form......

Old 06-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #40
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User

ACE28
I did manage to get the 2.5mg Bystolic and it is reducing my BP as much as the 5mg dosage was with lessor side effects. It would be much cheaper to split the 5mg but, as you mention, the shape makes splitting a little difficult.
BTW, my new MD said that the 2.5mg wouldn't do enough. LOL, shows you what doctors know. The 2.5 has brought my BP from 145/80 down to my last reading of 115/66.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:42 AM   #41
Senior Veteran
(male)

Donsabi,

I just checked with my mail order prescription plan, they now stock the 2.5 mg tablet. The 2.5 and 5 mg tablet are the same price for 90 days, so it would be cheaper to purchase the 5 mg and split the tablet. You are getting excellent BP control on 2.5 mg. On my last MD visit my BP was about 145/85 and that is while taking both ACEON 4 mg and BYSTOLIC 5 mg. In order to lower my dosage of the BYSTOLIC to 2.5 mg, my numbers will need to be better, or I can raise the ACEON dosage. I don't like the idea of taking a higher dose of any BP medication (especially beta blockers). Beta blockers are harder to stop taking (dependancy), they weaken the heart over time and they negatively effect cholesterol/glucose levels. BYSTOLIC is supposed to be much better than the older beta-blockers, and not have these negative effects, but I am not convinced of this. As I mentioned in a previous thread,
BYSTOLIC provides fantastic heart rate control, as for other side-effects such as fatigue, weight gain, sexual function etc.. it appears no different perhaps a bit worse than BISOPROLOL.

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-09-2008 at 07:31 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 06-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #42
(female)

victoria27519 HB User

Hello
I am new to the forum and found this thread as I was doing a search for bystolic.

I had high blood pressure after the births of both my sons (C-sections). The first son, it stayed up for 6 months and went back to normal. My second son was born 8/4/06 and my blood pressure never dropped.

They put me on Dyazide and HCTZ in Jan 07, but I was so itchy, felt sick and found out I was allergic to sulfa drugs. So, they switched me to spironlactone around August 2007. It was about that time that I started having really weird sensations in my left leg. Back to spiro. Talk about HORRENDOUS drug! Every month during my cycle I had the most wicked headaches ever. Also, my HDL dropped and my cholesterol shot up.

I was switched to bystolic in Feb 2008. I am on 5 mg (I wish I could find the 2.5 mg!) I hate taking meds, but I like bystolic though-I have anxiety and it seems to keep that at bay. I was very tired and the first few weeks I took it, my sleep was horrendous and I couldnt breath properly. Now, I am fine for the most part. The best news of all is that my cholesterol went from 263 to 206, HDL went up from 42 to 58, and my LDL went from 187 to 122!!! I am also taking fish oil, but I was before when my cholesterol was bad, so I think this drug is helping me.

The one thing I wanted to share that is driving me nuts (mentioned above): In my left outer leg and left lower leg, I feel a squeezing weird sensation that comes and goes. Sorta like my leg is tired and needs to be stretched, but it comes out of nowhere. It is not pain, but more like a pressure. It just feels like my leg has plaster on it or is very tight. It scares me to death. I asked the doc about it and of course, they blow me off. I had an MRI, an ECG and a CArdiolite stress test and all were normal (Praise the Lord!).

I wonder if the sulfa drugs started this. Somedays I get it so badly that it feels like I have bugs on my legs. Other days its just mild and feels like somene is squeezing my leg or it is stiff. It really affects me though b/c Im so anxious when I do get that feeling. Sigh.

Anyone else get this? I get it with the diuretcs and nwo with this beta blocker. I just pray something isnt wrong with me b/c I dont see much posted about this. Is that what muscle soreness is? Again, I Dont feel pain, so Im not sure I would call it that!

Great thread and helpful-thanks

Last edited by victoria27519; 06-07-2008 at 07:36 PM.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:27 AM   #43
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Victoria,

BYSTOLIC appears to be a tolerable medication from several others on the boards who responded. Always keep in mind that HBP meds. affect everyone differently. Side effects can be very unique to some and not others. Interactions with other meds. and supplements etc... BYSTOLIC does cause fatigue as other beta blockers do. BYSTOLIC has caused me side effects such as knee, joint and muscle pains. If you can tolerate some of these leg side effects, give it some more time to see how you feel. I have experienced some loss of libido and sexual function. It's very possible that most of these side effects will improve over time, but on the other hand they may also get worse. It appears your cholesterol has greatly improved, mine worsened. I also noticed some weight gain. I think BYSTOLIC is working pretty good for you. It may prove to be one of the better pills on the market due to the many excellent effects on targeting artery and heart functions. As I mentioned in an earlier post, It seems to be the best pill on the market for heart rate control.

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-09-2008 at 07:31 AM. Reason: removed quote

Closed Thread