It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User
BYSTOLIC (Nebivolol) - New Hypertensive(Beta Blocker)Medication

Several weeks ago my (Cardio) doctor prescribed a new beta blocker which was just released in the U.S. (and currently in use in 50 other countries) called BYSTOLIC the generic name is Nebivolol. I can say after just a few weeks, that the many side-effects I experienced in the first few weeks with many other beta blockers and HBP medications such as (dry mouth, cold hands, exhaustion, confusion etc.) have not ocurred with this medication.
I have had side effects with numerous medications over the years (too many to mention)

The only other medications which I'm currently taking or have taken in the past with minimal side effects is BENICAR, ACEON and BISOPROLOL. BYSTOLIC (so far) definitely tops the list. Unfortunately, medications which work great for one person may not necessarily work well for others, especially when higher doses are concerned. As side effects can sometimes take months/years to develop, I guess only time will tell. (So far so good)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User
Re: BYSTOLIC (Nebivolol) - New Hypertensive(Beta Blocker)Medication

I am very glad that you have found something that works for you

Is this the only medication that you take for HBP?

Vanessa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa74 View Post
I am very glad that you have found something that works for you

Is this the only medication that you take for HBP?

Vanessa

I'm currently taking ACEON 2 mg and BYSTOLIC 2.5 mg (I break the pills in half). Luckily, my doctor likes to keep the dosages low and in combination, than he can work his way up. My first 2 pill combination about 8 years ago were TOPROL XL 25mg and ALTACE 5mg. (According to my doctor he said these 2 pills were the best of the best. I never felt well while taking these 2 pills, I had a dry mouth, cough, skipped heart beats, poor memory, poor sleep, nightmares (occasional insomnia or waking up during the night)
among others. I thought I would adjust to the meds.. Once he added 10mg of LIPITOR to the mix, I had neck and shoulder aches and a frequent bloody nose.

Were many of these sysmptoms related to the meds?? Probably. I was then switched to DIOVAN and TOPROL. I felt alot better... I eventually dropped the TOPROL and my pharm.company switched me from DIOVAN to COZAAR.
COZAAR gave me an almost constant tickle in my throat... I then went to BENICAR and a low dose of BISOPROLOL. I switched the BISOPROLOL to try the new BYSTOLIC med, and ACEON in place of BENICAR...

Old 01-30-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Hi Ace

I am glad that you have found good control -- and more importantly - FEWER side effects with these meds - that is GREAT!

Old 01-30-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE28 View Post
... I never felt well while taking these 2 pills, I had a dry mouth, cough, skipped heart beats, poor memory, poor sleep, nightmares (occasional insomnia or waking up during the night)
among others. I thought I would adjust to the meds.. Once he added 10mg of LIPITOR to the mix, I had neck and shoulder aches and a frequent bloody nose.
I really appreciate your taking the time to mention the side effects...not too many people mention poor sleep, nightmares and occasional insomnia although they are listed as known side effects.

Quote:
...Were many of these sysmptoms related to the meds?? Probably.
I would be willing to think so, too. I blamed these symtoms on the sleeping disorder that I was diagnosed with, but surprise, surprise, now that I am med free, I sleep just fine (providing my cpap is working properly, ).

I'm pleased to learn that the new med is working well for you...and it sounds like you've got a doctor who understands the importance of dosage that's low and slow. Do keep us up to date with the new med!

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 01-31-2008 at 06:42 AM.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Ace,

Your doctor was right. Altace and other drugs in this class help treat several conditions and have been shown to be very effective for blood pressure control, especially in combination with diuretics. Thank goodness I can tolerate this medication. I am on 20mg and had the ugly cough initially. It went away after a while.
Sounds like you've had your share of side effects or, more accurately, adverse reactions (as Beth pointed out they are called now) with prescription medications. As helpful as Lipitor is supposed to be, I can't get over the feeling that it is damaging my muscles. I get the weirdest aches and pains. Most notably in my calf. My joints hurt, especially the right hip, knee and leg, so much so that I have to take the pain medication I was given for it. I am also on an antibiotic at the moment which made me extremely fatigued and sleepy after I took it with the pain meds at work. I don't remember ever feeling so tired. Somewhat concerned I stopped at the pharmacy after work to ask about any possible interactions. According to the pharmacist, (a new one I don't like) none of my meds are supposed to interact. Yeah, right! I happen to know of SEVERAL interactions even before these two new additions........ so will have to check for interactions myself. I think Lipitor is causing the muscle aches you and many others experienced as well. Why is it we always end up discussing our adverse reactions (side effects)? Could it be because they are much more common than our doctors believe?
I hope your low doses of medication will prove to be high enough for a good blood pressure control. Because the side effects are usually dose related, it is in our best interest to remain on the lowest doses of medication possible.
Thank you for sharing your experiences with both the old and the new antihypertensives. Good luck with Bystolic!

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 01-30-2008 at 08:14 PM.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
Hi Ace,

Your doctor was right. Altace and other drugs in this class help treat several conditions and have been shown to be very effective for blood pressure control, especially in combination with diuretics. Thank goodness I can tolerate this medication. I am on 20mg and had the ugly cough initially. It went away after a while.
Sounds like you've had your share of side effects or, more accurately, adverse reactions (as Beth pointed out they are called now) with prescription medications. As helpful as Lipitor is supposed to be, I can't get over the feeling that it is damaging my muscles. I get the weirdest aches and pains. Most notably in my calf. My joints hurt, especially the right hip, knee and leg, so much so that I have to take the pain medication I was given for it. I am also on an antibiotic at the moment which made me extremely fatigued and sleepy after I took it with the pain meds at work. I don't remember ever feeling so tired. Somewhat concerned I stopped at the pharmacy after work to ask about any possible interactions. According to the pharmacist, (a new one I don't like) none of my meds are supposed to interact. Yeah, right! I happen to know of SEVERAL interactions even before these two new additions........ so will have to check for interactions myself. I think Lipitor is causing the muscle aches you and many others experienced as well. Why is it we always end up discussing our adverse reactions (side effects)? Could it be because they are much more common than our doctors believe?
I hope your low doses of medication will prove to be high enough for a good blood pressure control. Because the side effects are usually dose related, it is in our best interest to remain on the lowest doses of medication possible.
Thank you for sharing your experiences with both the old and the new antihypertensives. Good luck with Bystolic!

flowergirl
My doctor is well aware of medication side effects. When I mentioned the TOPROL occasional nightmares and vivid dreams, he commented that these side effects are not typical. When I did further research, I discovered that beta-blockers (as TOPROL) cross the blood and brain barrier which can cause these type of symptoms. When I mentioned the neck and muscle aches he said this is a rather common side-effect and told me to stop LIPITOR. He later switched me to 10mg of PRAVACHOL which worked better for me.

Drug Interractions (as you mention) are very common, they are the cause of most drug related fatalities. The more drugs you add to the mix the greater the sid-effects. No Doctor or Pharmacist can state with certainty that pill combinations are 100 % safe. They will always say "To the best of my Knowledge" Which means they really don't have a clue......

P.S. Remember the LIPITOR Interraction with Grapefruit Juice about 8 years ago? The LIPITOR blood levels increased enough to cause severe muscle aches and damage.. It was later discovered that approx. 500 + medications have this negative interraction. Are there any other Interractions we are not aware of??

Old 01-31-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

ACE,

you've raised several good points.
I don't think anyone can be fully aware of all of the existing interactions between prescription and non-prescription drugs. They exist and people are experiencing them every day. They are not always recognized as such and are attributed to other causes - aging, ANXIETY, etc. Few drug combinations have been tested over extended periods of time (years...) and their numbers are very limited. As people age, more health problems arise, making it difficult or even impossible to distinguish a side effect of a medication from a symptom of a developing medical condition.
As far as the safety of prescription drugs - I read an article stating that the number of people dying each year from rx drug use is about the same as the number of casulties of an illicit drug use. It pays to do one's research and be very careful, especially when using multiple drugs.
You don't get any muscle aches on Pravachol? I'll do some reading about it. It seems to me that everytime I mention the wonder drug (Lipitor) as a possible cause of my aches the doctor gets MAD and says they are caused by -what else?-anxiety. I even quit taking it once because of scary muscle/nerve coordination problems and was persuaded to go back on it by my nephrologist. That's why I am not sure I have the option of stopping it completely or switching to another drug (unless it is very effective in reducing cholesterol). Oh well. I am lucky I am not on a high dose, I guess.

flowergirl

Old 02-01-2008, 07:23 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Pravachol (at the 10 mg dose) did not give me the muscle aches. PRAVACHOL ZOCOR, LOVASTATIN are the only (NATURAL - Red yeast) statins proven in Large Research studies to reduce all cause mortality. The FDA has approved PRAVACHOL and ZOCOR for almost every CARDIO-RELATED problem. LIPITOR has not been proven (By far). LIPITOR (Pfizer) marketing has been phenomenol.. Doctors push LIPITOR like crazy. CRESTOR is most similar to PRAVACHOL (except about 5 times more potent) when you add NIACIN to either of these Statins (Regression of Atheromas and CAROTID artery improvement have been noted in many studies)

P.S. You can search out the FDA information on these STATINS. <removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-02-2008 at 12:59 AM. Reason: do not discuss other forums

Old 02-01-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for your response and advice, ACE.

The red yeast rice and related products are not available in Canada.

Many of the Chinese health and medicinal products are being recalled almost daily by our government. (I get e-mail notices with every recall). I can't believe how frequent the recalls are. I think it's safer to consider all of these types of herbal, weight loss and other medicinal products UNSAFE unless proven otherwise! The red yeast rice was not available the last time I inquired, which was several months ago. I am not sure any of the products you have suggested are. I will definitely look into it. Many thanks once again!
P.S. I read many horror stories from former users of Lipitor. It's a Catch 22, taking chances either way.

flowergirl

Old 02-04-2008, 06:30 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
Thanks for your response and advice, ACE.

The red yeast rice and related products are not available in Canada.

Many of the Chinese health and medicinal products are being recalled almost daily by our government. (I get e-mail notices with every recall). I can't believe how frequent the recalls are. I think it's safer to consider all of these types of herbal, weight loss and other medicinal products UNSAFE unless proven otherwise! The red yeast rice was not available the last time I inquired, which was several months ago. I am not sure any of the products you have suggested are. I will definitely look into it. Many thanks once again!
P.S. I read many horror stories from former users of Lipitor. It's a Catch 22, taking chances either way.

flowergirl
Flowergirl,

The Statins I mentioned are all approved FDA drugs. MEVACOR (Lovastatin) was the very first statin drug on the market to be approved by the FDA, It was manufactured from Red Yeast Rice. Then ZOCOR (simvastatin) and PRAVACHOL (pravastatin) followed. They are all red yeast based (synthetic) medications. ZOCOR and PRAVACHOL are now being sold as generic drugs. Only LIPITOR and CRESTOR are not generic.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:40 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa74 View Post
Hi Ace

I am glad that you have found good control -- and more importantly - FEWER side effects with these meds - that is GREAT!
Hi Vanessa,

Yes, I definitely have less side effects with BYSTOLIC. I'm not feeling as tired and I'm not having the TOPROL nightmares. I'm also not getting as many skipped heart beats (PACS etc.) I would sometimes have with TOPROL. In my experience with different beta blockers, I would say that BYSTOLIC is by far the best beta blocker (Though everyone responds to meds. differently and only time will surely tell). Sometimes out of the blue after taking a med. for awhile, all hell can break loose. A close second place to BYSTOLIC (so far) is BISOPROLOL which produces a stronger calming feeling which can be great if your stress level is through the roof.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:49 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Ace,

Thanks so much for keeping us current!!! And again, I am so happy this med is working for you...do stay in touch!

Bethsheba

Old 02-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Ace,

That is really great. I hope that it keeps working GREAT for you for as long as you need it.

I will be trying a diuretic next - so I'm crossing my fingers

Thanks for the update!

Vanessa

Old 02-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ACE,

thanks for volunteering to be a guinea pig.... I am so glad this beta blocker agrees with you. Its side effects are supposed to be less intense than those of other beta blockers. Please keep us posted.

flowergirl

Closed Thread