It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
(female)

me2wired HB User
High Blood Pressure only in legs?

I am wondering if someone has heard of having high blood pressure only in the legs. Both legs are a consistent high blood pressure while the arms are normal? Any ideas what this could be from? I have tried searching everything and can't seem to find any mention of why there could be high blood pressure in the legs and not arms.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: High Blood Pressure only in legs?

Hi,

Quote:
I am wondering if someone has heard of having high blood pressure only in the legs. Both legs are a consistent high blood pressure while the arms are normal? Any ideas what this could be from? I have tried searching everything and can't seem to find any mention of why there could be high blood pressure in the legs and not arms
What tests have you had?

I did some reading about PAD and DVT and think you may be referring to an ankle brachial index (ABI).
In this test, the systolic blood pressure is checked in the ankle area. It is measured before and after an exercise. If the systolic blood pressure after an exercise is not the normal ankle pressure, it indicates intermittent claudication.

Perhaps you had this test:

A Doppler study
This test is used for checking the blood flow in the legs and to assess the severity of lower extremity atherosclerotic disease. Blood pressure cuffs are placed in four locations on the legs, from the top of the leg to the ankle. A fifth cuff is used to measure the blood pressure in the brachial artery in the arm. Then the blood pressures in the arms/legs are compared. Normal blood pressure in the ankle is 90% of the arm pressure. It will be less than that if narrowing of the arteries is present. People with blockages often develop collateral circulation. This results in differences in blood pressure of extremities which is more noticable during exercise.

Blood pressure difference of 20mmHg or more between the upper and lower extremities could indicate coarctation of aorta.

PS. You should look up bilateral subclavian artery stenosis, which results in a higher blood pressure in the legs than arms. It is not very common though.

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 01-31-2008 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Adding PS.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
(female)

me2wired HB User

None of these studies have been done yet. Only Echo's and EKG's. A bit more history. This is about my infant son, 6 months old (3 months adjusted). He developed PPHN (persistent pulmonary hyptertension of the newborn) after a dose of IBprophin to close his PDA. This caused Left Atrial Enlargement, an AP collateral, upper normal LV size and a small L->Rt atrial shunt.

He also has a bilateral cleft lip and palate and this was repaired 3 weeks ago. While in the hospital, obviously laying down, they were consistently getting around 124/74 for a blood pressure in both legs. Extremely high for an infant. His arms were normal blood pressures of 79/45. We know he has heart issues and the nurses continued to overlook this every time they tried to do his blood pressures. I'm just wondering why such a large difference between the arms and legs. We have another Echo scheduled tomorrow so hopefully this can give us an answer.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Sorry to hear about your sons' problems. With the surgical repair over, you can now concentrate on helping him heal.
Is it possible he has had an adverse reaction to whatever drugs were used prior to, during and post-anesthesia? They could somehow be affecting his blood pressure. I hope the echo will shed some light on this.

Good luck to you all!
flowergirl

Closed Thread