It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
(female)

spoed HB User
what can happen if i stop taking lisinopril

what can happen if i stop taking lisinopril

Old 02-03-2008, 05:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: what can happen if i stop taking lisinopril

I don't think anyone has responded to your post because there isn't much info to go by...

what dose are you curently taking?
how long have you been taking that dose?
are you taking any other medications/supplements?
what have been/are your bp readings?
do you have any other medical conditions?
why do you want to stop taking lisinopril?

I would recommend that you check with your pharmacist and/or your doctor before stopping a medication...and then check the literature to see if it says the same thing your doctor/pharmacist says.

My doctor switched me from lisinopril to another bp med without any transition period but I'm not so sure he knew what he was doing.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-03-2008 at 05:33 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
(female)

Storm Moon HB User

I have had to stop taking this drug after having been on it for about 9 months. Basically I started having tongue swelling just out of the blue a couple of days ago, so I went to the ER nearly terrified to tears.. The doctor said that the medicine is what's causing my tongue to swell up. It wasn't too big, but it caused some discomfort when I would lie down to sleep. I'm just wondering too if it's okay to skip it one day since the doctor said to do it anyway. I did make an appointment to my doctor at 10 am tomorrow, so I should be okay right? The ER doc said to just take the hctz (this was a combination drug, HCTZ with Lisinopril).

Old 02-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Moon View Post
... Basically I started having tongue swelling just out of the blue a couple of days ago, so I went to the ER nearly terrified to tears.. The doctor said that the medicine is what's causing my tongue to swell up.
A swelling tongue would be considered an allergic reaction and could become life threatening...you were wise to go to the er!

Quote:
...I'm just wondering too if it's okay to skip it one day since the doctor said to do it anyway. I did make an appointment to my doctor at 10 am tomorrow, so I should be okay right? The ER doc said to just take the hctz (this was a combination drug, HCTZ with Lisinopril).
I think you were smart to question your er doctors advice...but I think he/she was correct in the advice they gave you, especially since the tongue swelling can be a life threatening emergency.

I personally stopped lisinopril overnight and did not notice any problems...nor have I read of anyone with problems discoing cold turkey. That's not to say they can't happen, but some drugs (beta blockers for instance) are known to cause serious problems when withdrawing suddenly. Lisinopril does not have that reputation...

Just out of curiosity, how did the er doctor know it was the lisinopril and not the hct? If I understand allergic reactions correctly, almost any med can cause this life threatening side effect.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-05-2008 at 10:29 AM.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
(female)

Storm Moon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethsheba View Post
A swelling tongue would be considered an allergic reaction and could become life threatening...you were wise to go to the er!

I think you were smart to question your er doctors advice...but I think he/she was correct in the advice they gave you, especially since the tongue swelling can be a life threatening emergency.

I personally stopped lisinopril overnight and did not notice any problems...nor have I read of anyone with problems discoing cold turkey. That's not to say they can't happen, but some drugs (beta blockers for instance) are known to cause serious problems when withdrawing suddenly. Lisinopril does not have that reputation...

Just out of curiosity, how did the er doctor know it was the lisinopril and not the hct? If I understand allergic reactions correctly, almost any med can cause this life threatening side effect.

Bethsheba
I'm not really sure but the moment he looked to my medicine bottle, he asked how long I had been on it, and then told me about the reactions that some people have had to it. I'm guessing it's been published in medical journals or something. He didn't only mention Lisinopril, but the entire class of drugs of ACE inhibitors having this problem in some patients. I was shocked cause I had never heard of it until I read about it in my PDR. He didn't mention the HCTZ though, just to take that until I can see my doctor.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
.... He didn't only mention Lisinopril, but the entire class of drugs of ACE inhibitors having this problem in some patients. I was shocked cause I had never heard of it until I read about it in my PDR. ....
Thanks so much for the info, Storm. I know some people who are currently taking lisinopril so will let them know what you've learned as it is very helpful!
Sounds like you were very lucky to come across an er doc who knew his stuff!

Bethsheba

Old 02-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
(female)

Storm Moon HB User

No problem I really would rather just not take blood pressure medicines of any kind. I've already been through most of the classes of drugs: beta-blockers, calcium-channel blockers, and now ace inhibitors. Is there anything left after that?

I started out on Atenolol back in '04 but it just made my heart beat so slow, so I switched to Norvasc in the middle of that year. I think I was on that with HCTZ for a good year until I noticed that it caused my ankles and feet to swell, so I went off that in '05. After that, I was put on Dyazide. That seemed to work the best for about a year and a half, but my bp started to go up last year in the summer, so then I was switched to Lisinopril/HCTZ. I'm considering trying occasional anti-anxiety drugs for HBP, is that recommended?

Old 02-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
... I've already been through most of the classes of drugs: beta-blockers, calcium-channel blockers, and now ace inhibitors. Is there anything left after that?...
Yes, fortunately (or unfortunately,) there are.

Quote:
I started out on Atenolol back in '04 but it just made my heart beat so slow, so I switched to Norvasc in the middle of that year. I think I was on that with HCTZ for a good year until I noticed that it caused my ankles and feet to swell, so I went off that in '05. After that, I was put on Dyazide. That seemed to work the best for about a year and a half, but my bp started to go up last year in the summer, so then I was switched to Lisinopril/HCTZ. I'm considering trying occasional anti-anxiety drugs for HBP, is that recommended?
Do you have heart problems? If not, why did your doctor start you out on a beta blocker, if you don't mind my asking?

As far as the anti-anxiety drugs, for hypertension, I have read that in some cases they are effective. My personal opinion is that although anxiety can "cause" hypertension, anxiety is a secondary condition...that is to say that some chemical/hormonal/biological condition is causing the anxiety (I know many people attribute it to stress or outside environmental factors but if that were the sole cause, all of us would be experiencing anxiety producing hypertension as some of us have had to deal with some unbelievable obstacles/stressors in our lives). For that reason, in my opinion, the cause of the anxiety should be investigated. That's not to say a cause would be found, but some well known conditions can create anxiety...sleep deprivation or tumors, for instance.

How are your lifestyle habits? Anything you could improve on there? It's not the answer, I know...but it can make a difference in lowering your pressures.

Bethsheba

Old 02-06-2008, 09:58 AM   #9
(female)

Storm Moon HB User

Well.. I am overweight. I weigh around 209 and i've actually lost a few pounds in the last couple of weeks. So that's one there. My diet is probably not the best, but I try not to eat fried foods too much. Money is tight in the household so it's hard to buy healthier foods. When I eat out I try not to get anything greasy.

And here's something interesting. I just got back from my doctor visit, and she does want to cut the Lisinopril and just do the HCTZ. But she went ahead and swabbed my throat.. turns out i've got STREP!!! So that might be what's caused this to swell up and it's scary. I'm waiting now for the antibiotic to come in at the pharmacy. Interesting to say the least! She still thinks I should take Benadryl in case it was an allergic reaction though. We'll see.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Well.. I am overweight. I weigh around 209 and i've actually lost a few pounds in the last couple of weeks. So that's one there. My diet is probably not the best, but I try not to eat fried foods too much. Money is tight in the household so it's hard to buy healthier foods. When I eat out I try not to get anything greasy.
Well, we weigh about the same. If you're only on the one med, I have no doubt at all that if you lose weight you'll be able to go med free...but fried foods are not going to help and using money as an excuse isn't going to help either....not having much money to work with might make it a bit more challenging, but not impossible. Afterall, potatoes are rich in potassium but are "relatively" inexpensive. It's about making the right choices. I would much rather spend the money on good food than on medication! And good food will achieve similar results (for someone on one med). But you will need to educate yourself about what you should be eating and what you shouldn't. The DASH food plan is free and is on line on the government website...you could start there .

Quote:
...And here's something interesting. I just got back from my doctor visit, and she does want to cut the Lisinopril and just do the HCTZ. But she went ahead and swabbed my throat.. turns out i've got STREP!!! So that might be what's caused this to swell up and it's scary. I'm waiting now for the antibiotic to come in at the pharmacy. Interesting to say the least! She still thinks I should take Benadryl in case it was an allergic reaction though. We'll see.
It sounds like you've got one fine doctor!, but then I'm partial to women doctors. I think they have to be twice as good as the men given the discrimination in the medical field, and yes, it does exist.

Thanks for the update. It gives us alot to think about.

Bethsheba

Old 02-06-2008, 08:31 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi Storm,

Dr. McGowan in her book called The Hypertension Sourcebook says that she always tell patient starting on ANY ACE Inhibitor to have some benedryl on hand when they take the FIRST dose. [B]Then she gives a example of a patient calling her at home with a reaction. Apparently, it is only 1 in 1,000 pts experience this allergic reaction.
t
Usually with allergic reactions, one must have had contact with the substance before having a reaction. This is one of those exceptions so there must be something about the patient's body.

There is a general rule about sudden swelling etc anywhere on the neck or above. One should go to the ER whether you think it is from meds, food, or even a bee sting. There is a rich blood supply in this area which can distribute the the offending substance throughout the body plus cause swelling of the airways which would prevent you getting enough oxygen.

This is what I learned when I got stung by about 20 wasps. Luckily they went for my bright pink cotton pants. After I got my life back I ordered white pants for walking in the woods as the insects are attracted by color.
Live & learn. Fam

Old 02-07-2008, 12:33 AM   #12
(female)

Storm Moon HB User

When I saw my doc today, she wasn't really convinced I had a reaction, but she went ahead and took me off it anyway. For now I'm just on a water pill. She even asked if I had eaten anything unusual and I told her that I hadn't. So I'm not completely sure. I did tell her that I had glands swollen up in my neck, mostly on the left, and she swabbed my throat for strep and it came back positive. It's weird because I don't have a sore throat, just some discomfort in my neck and sinus drainage.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:44 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
...This is what I learned when I got stung by about 20 wasps. Luckily they went for my bright pink cotton pants.
Fam
Oh, my word! I can't believe you survived that!

Bethsheba

Closed Thread