It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Michael8466 HB User
Blood pressure medication causing hip pain?

Is this possible? has anyone had this side effect before? my doctor switched my blood pressure medication and I now have hip pain on one side. I don't know if it's from the meds or a new problem. Thanks

Old 02-04-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Blood pressure medication causing hip pain?

Michael,

It may be a new "problem" but I would be willing to bet it is from the meds. Many, many different bp meds cause muscle aches and pains, and some cause bone pain.

I most definitely experienced hip pain while on hydrochlorothiazide. The pain would be so bad that it would wake me in the middle of the night and I would have to take a pain reliever (which I have since learned can elevate one's pressures) in order to get back to sleep.

You needn't experience this pain on an hourly/weekly/or monthly basis...if it's a side effect it can come and go....and it can come out of the blue, even if you've been on meds a long, long time.

But best check your package insert info (the manufacturer's info) to see what it says about the side effects, and what to do about them. Then check with your doctor and your pharmacist. You'll probably get 3 different answers, but check anyway!

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-04-2008 at 12:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Michael,

Beth's personal experience matches mine. I have developed hip pain, just the right side at first, recently the left one as well. Sometimes one hip or the other, sometimes both. I have pain medication for that. I too believe it's an effect of one or more of my medications. Additionally, there's constant muscle pain (right calf) and occassional joint pain. Needless to say, none of these were present prior to my starting the drug treatment. All I hear if I dare to mention any aches or pains to my doctor (which I don't anymore) is anxiety...I fail to see any possible connection. In my opinion, there is a very good chance your problems are medication-related.

flowergirl

Old 02-05-2008, 06:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
Michael,

Beth's personal experience matches mine. I have developed hip pain, just the right side at first, recently the left one as well. Sometimes one hip or the other, sometimes both. .... All I hear if I dare to mention any aches or pains to my doctor (which I don't anymore) is anxiety...flowergirl
Oh flowergirl,

I'm so sorry to hear about the developments....you are such a trooper! I can't imagine going back to work under the conditions you deal with.

I've been doing some thinking about your situation but need to think some more. Will address my thoughts in another post.

Bethsheba

Old 02-05-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Guess what I had for lunch? Pizza. Got a couple of surprised looks for sure. I still ate some veggies but not as many.
I am doing fine and had a pretty good day. I am hoping that the electrolyte and other levels will eventually get back to normal. I need to do more reading about this. I think a change in medication is badly needed. Everything I have read so far points to the medication as a likely culprit. The aches, pains and cramps can be a consequence of an electrolyte imbalance or a side effect of medication, as discussed in this thread. The only problem is that any change in medication (especially the diuretics) is going to result in poorer blood pressure control.

flowergirl

Closed Thread