It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
(female)

Sally77 HB User
dye free HCTZ

I need to know what company makes a dye free HCTZ 50mg pill. I am allergic to artifical color.

Thank you,

Old 02-06-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: dye free HCTZ

Famnd would be able to help you with that (although someone else may be able to also), but she hasn't been on the boards for a few days. You may want to review some of her old posts as she experienced an allergic reaction to one of the colors in hct.

I'm a bit concerned about the 50 mg dose...have you been on hct before? If not, it is a large dose (in my opinion) to begin with...it's ususally best to start low and go slow. You might want to review some of our posts about hctz.

Good luck, and welcome to the boards!

Bethsheba

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I called all the US manufacturers of HCTZ about 4 yrs ago. None made HCTZ without the dye.

The nurse in the Dr's office at the medical center alerted my to the fact that there was another patient who had the same problem so she had the drug made up at a compound pharmacy. These pharmacies are all over the US-mostly in medical centers or nearby.

At first, I had a liquid solution made up because I have a swallowing problem. This also made it easier for me to titrate the medication. This means I slowly introduced the drug one mg a week at first until I was pretty sure that I wasn't going to have an allergic reaction to the actual drug or active ingredient itself.

I did take an additional precaution of asking the Dr. for an Epi-pen injection of adrenalin just in case I did have an allergic reaction.

I now have the drug made up in a capsule so I can just dump it in applesauce. Cornstarch is the only filler put in the capsule but there are other substances that can be used.

Most people only need 12.5mg according to Dr. M.P. McGowan & others. The more drug you need the more side effects you may have.

You must eat a well balanced diet everyday to keep your minerals particularly potassium in balanced. Also, you need at least eight 8oz of fluid everyday to help prevent Gout. 10-12oz of fluid is even better. Check with your Dr. in case he has a reason that he doesn't want you to drink that much.

My pharmacy gets the drug from China so I'm always concerned about the safety issue but it is crucial for my b/p. With my Dr's help I keep a stock of the capsules just in case the US bars imports from China. Just what a hypertensive patient needs more stress Oh, well that's life!!!

The pharmacy will mail order the drugs but you have to made sure that the drug isn't heat sensitive during the summer months. I had that problem when I got the liquid. I got two bad batches & then the pharmacist said I would have to drive the two hrs to pick up my supply. Luckily, I do have a compound pharmacy in town who was willing to made up the drug even though it was a first for him with that drug.

Dealing with the insurance company is a whole other issue. If you need help with that wirite back.

I've been having computer & internet server problems. But I'll get back eventually. Fam

Old 02-06-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
...I've been having computer & internet server problems. But I'll get back eventually. Fam
Hope you didn't catch those from me, .

Welcome back, famnd. Good to hear you're ok.

Bethsheba

Closed Thread