It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
I'm going to DASH...anyone want to join me?

I'm going to take the 2 week DASH challenge to see how much more I can lower my pressures (pressures are currently at between 140-122/91-82 give or take) by following the DASH food plan. I'm shooting for a perfect 120/80!

In the next day or two, I'll post how the menu plans break down and I'll post info on where you can find the 2000 calorie menus and recipes (they are on a gov web site). You don't have to use the menus provided, but I plan on doing so for laziness reasons ...also, you'll know exactly what I'm eating (not that you're interested,). I will put together a shopping list of foods for myself (and anyone else who wants to follow the menus), with the intention of starting on Monday.

Anyone with me??

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-08-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Re: I'm going to DASH...anyone want to join me?

I would love to join you, Beth but the last time I attempted DASH I couldn't handle the increased fruit & bread beyond 2 servings each. I'll look at your info to see what I can put into my food plan. Can't wait to see your menus. Fam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

I would love to join you in taking on the DASH challenge-who doesn't need to lose weight and eat a healthier diet? I have to decline for the same reasons as Fam. As for the fruit & veggies intake on the DASH diet, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing for some of us.
Wishing you the best of luck!

flowergirl

Old 02-09-2008, 05:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Fmnd, I certainly understand, , and I thank you for taking time to post. I do hope you'll be there when I need a little (big) push to stay focused.

Also, I see now what you mean about tailoring the diet to my own needs...in our northern climate, given it's winter, it may be more difficult to find the fresh stuff...but I know canned and frozen foods are ok (providing we watch the sodium and sugars).

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-09-2008 at 05:31 AM.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=flowergirl2day;3433552]

Yes, fg, I understand but like I told famnd, I hope you will be there to encourage me as I lack consistency (well I lack many things but we won't go there, ).

For the sake of others, the DASH is not a weight reduction diet, so I do hope I don't gain weight on it....

Am having problems reading pdf files so may have to take info from the book versus the gov website...

Bethsheba

Old 02-09-2008, 05:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, I'm having problems bringing up the website, so I won't be able to tell you exactly where it is except on the link: [url]www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/hypertension[/url]

Don't let the link intimidate you...just click on the picture of the bp monitor for the full report. You should be able to find the dietary recommendations in the table of contents, I would think.

DASH MENU PLAN

Breakfast
Fruits, 2 servings
Dairy, 1 serving
Grains, 2 servings

Lunch
Vegetables, 2 servings
Fruits, 1 serving
Dairy, 1 serving
Grains, 2 servings
Meat, 1/2 serving

Dinner
Vegetables, 3 servings
Fruits, 1 serving
Dairy, 1 serving
Grains, 2 servings
Meat, 1 serving

Snack
Grains, 1 serving
Nuts/seeds, 1/2 serving

The size of the portion is important so do check to see what a normal serving size would be....serving sizes don't have to be exact, but from what I've read, the proportion of some of the nutrients is important.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-15-2008 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Added 2 servings of grains to lunch plan!!

Old 02-09-2008, 07:18 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Well - I took your advice and went out and got a book on DASH - "The Healthy Heart Miracle" - by Dr. Gabe Mirkin.

It outlines the DASH diet, explains how each component helps with specific things (HBP, High Cholesterol, Diabetes, etc.) -- and also gives receipes.

I am going to start the (2) week challenge on Monday. I love salads and fish - so I am excited about that -- but whole grains get old after a while. BUT to get off the HBP meds for good - I will try ANYTHING....

It also discusses the role of regular exercise - so I will be adding that as well.

Good luck to us ALL We will help each other succeed!

Old 02-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa74 View Post
...I am going to start the (2) week challenge on Monday. ...
Oh Vanessa, that's GREAT! You just made my day, !

The book you got is different than the book I have so we'll probably be on different menus which might be interesting. My menu's definitely have a Southern bias, which will make it more challenging to find the foods. I could subsitute, but I'm fond of Southern cooking, and given our harsh winters, I'm going to pretend on on vacation in the warm states, .

I did find a direct link to the DASH diet so will include that here...
[url]http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/[/url]
Again, I'm having problems opening pdf files so I can only assume it has the food plans and recipes that i'll be using.

Found a wonderful government web page on whole grains and how you can incorporate them in your diet...may include that on Famnd's what to have for breakfast, lunch, dinner thread.

Quote:
It also discusses the role of regular exercise - so I will be adding that as well.
Great! I'll try, too!

Quote:
Good luck to us ALL We will help each other succeed!
Yes, good luck to us all! And yes, we will suceed!

Bethsheba

Old 02-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have compiled a grocery list, and menu plans. In doing so, I realize that some of the foods included are seasonal or regional in nature. I'm going to try to stick with the plan anyway (although it is VERY easy to make substitutions based on personal preferences and region of the country.)

I originally intended on including a grocery list, and the menus I'll be using, and I will do this if anyone wants me to...but the list is long and I don't want to waste people's time and space, especially when the info can be found elsewhere.

Let me know if you want the info...otherwise, if you wish to join us, you can follow the about DASH plan with your own preferences.

Do hope you'll take the challenge....I've read that researchers think 1/3 of people with hypertension can get off meds by following this food plan!

Bethsheba

Old 02-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa,

How did you do today?

I did well but made dash acceptable substitutions this evening...also swam for 15 minutes (which I haven't done in over 3 years, .

Thus far so good...but the day/night's not over.

Hope you're hanging in there!

Bethsheba

Old 02-11-2008, 10:07 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

As I said before, we read about the same things. It is very true. The hypertensives that benefit directly and the most by this diet are individuals with mild or moderate hypertension.

Quote:
Do hope you'll take the challenge....I've read that researchers think 1/3 of people with hypertension can get off meds by following this food plan!
Way to go Beth! Glad you went for a swim. Make sure to go again tomorrow! I will do some resistance exercises tomorrow (my day off) as I don't have a swimming pool.

flowergirl

Old 02-12-2008, 06:15 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
... The hypertensives that benefit directly and the most by this diet are individuals with mild or moderate hypertension.
They didn't test people with severe hypertension...I say this because everyone was weaned off their medication and then given a typical American diet for 3 weeks in order to compare apples to apples before comparing the 3 different diets (a typical American, an American with more fruits and veggies, and the DASH diets). It would have been too dangerous for those with severe hypertension to do this.

I don't know, but I would suspect that if people who had severe hypertension didn't benefit by this diet, it would be because they have an untreated or uncontrolled secondary condition...hormonal problems, tumors, or apnea for instance.

Quote:
... I don't have a swimming pool.
Oh FG, I don't have a pool either, . I buy a day pass at the public pool in town...

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-12-2008 at 06:19 AM.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:29 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

My comments on Day 1, yesterday's diet...

Went grocery shopping and bought food I usually buy...except I had to pick up salt free margarine, low fat cheese (oh, and I did so like the fat in my cheese), low sodium tomato sauce, and low sodium bbq sauce. Didn't find any salt free magarine, and had to find a substitute for the bbq sauce as I couldn't find any that was salt free, hmmmm. Usually make my own bbq sauce so may have to go that route.

The menu was easy to prepare and easy to substitute (forgot to get some things on my grocery list).

Felt comfortable full all day...but didn't eat my last veggie...some work needed here.

Peed alot despite drinking only 2 glasses of water...I really need to increase water intake. Veggies must be somewhat diuretic in nature, .

Swam for 15 minutes last night.

Pressures at 7:13 this am (despite an 8 pound relapse) were 135/80, pulse 89 and at 7:37 am were 120/89, pulse 80. I don't quietly wait 15 minutes before taking my pressures, but I do wait 2-5 minutes between readings.

The average of 90 readings since Sept of last year were 132/87, pulse 71. Pressures before meds and cpap treatment, 200/100.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-16-2008 at 05:25 PM.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,

I just read about a study which shows that fewer than 20% of hypertensive patients actually adhere to the DASH diet guidelines, reflecting the national trends. There's been a decline in the number of people following this diet. It is a shame I think since DASH diet has been shown to lower the blood pressure by as much as 11 mmHg in a person.
The Dash diet is rich in fiber and minerals and low in saturated and total fat. The article states that the research has now suggested that this approach (of targeting total fat in a diet) might not be optimal for reduction of cardiovascular risk. A spokesperson for the American Heart Association (which is named) supposedly says that it comes as no surprise. Will try to find out more.

FG

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 02-12-2008 at 10:38 PM.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:07 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
...I just read about a study which shows that fewer than 20% of hypertensive patients actually adhere to the DASH diet guidelines, reflecting the national trends. There's been a decline in the number of people following this diet...
That's not surprising...too many people are looking for an easy fix. Making lifestyle changes/modifications is not always an easy thing to do.

On the other side of the equation, too many people don't know about the DASH diet. My doctors didn't tell me...and there are lots of people on this board who are unaware of the diet and its benefits.

Quote:
...The article states that the research has now suggested that this approach (of targeting total fat in a diet) might not be optimal for reduction of cardiovascular risk. A spokesperson for the American Heart Association (which is named) supposedly says that it comes as no surprise. Will try to find out more. FG
Now that is interesting...do let us know what you learn. I'm wondering if there are any countries (besides the US) who have diets high in fat? Eskimos come to mind, but their fats come from fish...oh well, do let us know if you come across any other info.

Thanks for the insights!

Bethsheba

Closed Thread