It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2008, 05:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
DASH Results, Week 2....

For the sake of quick reference, I am going to post my daily results here in addition to my thread "I'm going to DASH..."

These are the results thus far on Week 2 of the DASH meal plan:

Day 8
BP 115/91, pulse 84 6:54 am
BP 119/85, pulse 80 7:03 am
Weight, no change
No cpap

Day 9
BP 111/76, pulse 75 5:51 am
BP 116/89, pulse 77 6:04 am
Weight, no change
No cpap

Day 10
BP 119/85, pulse 63 6:20 am
BP 109/83, pulse 75 6:32 am
Weight, no change
Used cpap

Day 11
BP 125/88, pulse 65 5:53
BP 123, 86, pulse 65 5:57
Weight, up a pound
Used cpap

Day 12
BP 122/91, pulse 61
BP 128/92, pulse, 65
Weight, up a pound
Used cpap

Took a sabatical due to the weather and due to lack of mental well being...will officially continue plan on Monday.
BP 119/81, pulse 69
BP 120/92, pulse 85
Weight, I'm afraid to look.
Used cpap

Sun
BP 119, 86 pulse 76 6:07 am
BP 129, 92 pulse 76 6:15 am
used cpap

Mon
BP 134/91, pulse 74 8:08 am
BP 116/86, pulse 80 8:24 am
Used cpap

Day 13...am back and looking forward to continuing my DASH eating...strayed a bit on my days off and numbers show it.

BP 146/85, pulse 73 6:45 am
BP 125/92, pulse 77 6:49 am
Used cpap

Day 14

BP 123/81, pulse 68 6:00 am
BP 128/88, pulse 74 6:12 am
Used cpap

Dash Week 2 Averages:

First Reading: 123/85, pulse 70
Second Reading: 120/88, pulse 73

My goal was to get an average of 120/80....given the fact that I although I didn't tally my servings or my sodium, and I ,for 2 days, ate no no's, this isn't bad at all (in my opinion). However, it looks like I am actually going to have to exercise and lose weight to bring that diastolic down to 80. If I continue DASHING and exercising, I willlose weight and if I take off 60 pounds, I will not have to DASH to keep my pressures under control...but I love the DASH diet so I think it's going to be a keeper, and I hope to be DASHING the rest of my life!

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-01-2008 at 06:42 AM. Reason: added Day 14

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: DASH Results, Week 2....

Why were you able to go without using the cpap for two days?

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 02-21-2008 at 08:05 AM.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids View Post
Why were you able to go without using the cpap for two days?

Hi beerzoids,

I can always go without using my cpap, but it's not a good idea to do this. I'm glad you asked the question because it made me think...

I sometimes go without my cpap because I put the strap for my mask in the wash and I don't always get the wash done that day (you can wash the strap by hand but I'm lazy)...I used to have more "back up" equipment but can't afford to do that right now.

I don't think twice about going without it but I should!!! I love my cpap because I sleep better, don't get up to pee, and have more concentration, more energy, and less anxiety and depression when I use it...

I forget that when I don't use it, my heart has to work too hard. When I had my sleep study done, I would stop breathing as long as a minute before I would "wake up" (you never remember waking up, believe me) and start breathing again. You can imagine what that does to the heart!!!

Just out of curiosity, I should try holding my breath for as long as I can (when I'm awake I can't hold my breath for a minute, I've tried) and then take my blood pressure...

Bethsheba

Old 02-22-2008, 05:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Day 11

Just a quick note here...I'm up in pressures and up in weight...I ate 2 servings of sweet/sour pork which contained lite soy sauce.

I always forget (or don't want to remember, ) that when you have a second serving, you DOUBLE whatever sodium was in the first serving...maybe that's what happened with the pressures today.

Observation....although I"m recording 2 pressures in the am (because that's the only time I can consistently measure), I do take random measurements occasionally during the day. What I've noticed in these past 11 days is that the readings are "closer" together...fewer bounces and no spikes.

Bethsheba

Old 02-23-2008, 06:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Comments on Day 12

I suspect the sodium (in the tomatoes and the bacon) showed up in my figures today...that and I had to get up twice during night due to one very naught kitty!!

Bethsheba

Old 02-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Beth, did you read in the newspaper that people with cats have less strokes & the I think heart disease. So think of your kiddie as medicine. Dogs help too but cats do the best. Guess I will have to get a stuffed kiddie because I have two kids that are highly allergic to cats. Fam

Old 02-23-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
... Guess I will have to get a stuffed kiddie because I have two kids that are highly allergic to cats. Fam
There are kitties that have no fur...they may be expensive but if you really want a kitty that's what I would go for, . I can't explain what it's like to have a relationship with a cat...but I will say that it is a relationship I am no longer willing to live without. Entertainment is one thing, but there are health reasons (other than stroke and heart attack as well). If I had alot of money, I would do some research on cats and sleep apnea...I think cats know alot more about it than we humans do.

It's kind of funny that you mention the connection of cats and the stroke and heart disease reduction thing....I came across an old picture of a precious kitty that I loved, and miss daily, and when I saw the picture of her, my vitals just slowed down...the picture of her just calmed me...seeing her again almost put me in another world. I got up, looked for a frame, framed her picture and put it up on my desk so I would see her every day.

And then I thought of your post about anxiety driven hypertension and going to see the endo...and I thought that if you have a picture (perhaps of your children, a vacation, a happy time in your life) that you could take with you to the doctor's office, you might be able to drop your anxiety quotient somewhat. Just a thought...

I'm off topic and I'm going off the boards, for awhile, anyway. Although I'm not done with my 14 Day Challenge, I'm going to take a couple of days vacation from the boards. I must focus on spring as the winter is taking its toll on me...especially knowing there will be no flowers this spring.

Take care...will talk later.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-24-2008 at 06:36 AM.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Am taking 2 days off...Day 13 will be continued on Monday.

Bethsheba

Old 02-28-2008, 05:25 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Day 13

Finished up bacon that was in fridge and also finished up the quiche...and although I called ahead and ordered a low sodium vegetarian meal when I went out with friends...I don't think the meal was low sodium. So I had some set backs but despite this, I don't think those numbers really "shot up" there...but they are inching up so I'm back on plan and looking forward to it.

Bethsheba

Old 02-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Results for week #1

I lost 1/8 lb surprisely because I ate so much but I felt so tired from all the grains. Having a hiatal hernia probably doesn't help much because in this condition part of the stomach slides up into the chest & makes one feel fuller earlier. I would love to go all out & do the DASH but in the long run it seems that losing some lbs is in my best interest as far as my b/p. Fam

Old 02-28-2008, 10:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Fam,

I am glad you are losing some weight. How in the world do you measure 1/8 of a pound weight loss? It seems like an amount a regular bathroom scale would not even pick up. Which type of a scale do you use to weigh yourself? A digital one? Mine is under the bed and I never use it. I hate it. Have another in the laundry room, also unused. I am sure though that neither of them can measure the weight as precisely as yours. Good going! It's nice to hear from you.
How many vegetable servings do you have per day, and do they aggravate your acid reflux? Which ones do you eat? I have started eating more fruits than veggies. I should limit my sucrose intake and eat more veggies. What do you mean about the hiatal hernia making you feel fuller sooner? That should support weight loss. I'd much rather drink a glass of water at mealtime to aid with the weight control than have to deal with this darn thing...I drink the water anyway.

flowergirl

Old 02-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi FG,

Nice to hear from you. I've been so tired while trying to eat the extra servings from the bread group. Today, I feel so much better only having two servings of bread. I have a Dr's scale which measures in 1/4 Lb so when the pointer is between it is 1/8. I've found having a precise scale very helpful in reminding each morning to keep trying to keep my weight in check. It was especially helpful when I was hyperthyroid & losing a pound a day because I had to pill on the calories to keep from losing too much. I got so tired of eating.

I eat on the average 5-6 veggies a day. Usually I have 3 in my salad. Then I have others with my main dish. I like grape tomatoes, leaf lettuce, shredded carrots (I shred a weeks's worth at once), vegetable soup, peas, rutabacca, sweet potatoes, green peppers, I could go on & on. I can't think at the moment of a vegetable I don't like but some don't like me . Fam

Old 03-01-2008, 06:15 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
...I lost 1/8 lb surprisely because I ate so much but I felt so tired from all the grains.... I would love to go all out & do the DASH but in the long run it seems that losing some lbs is in my best interest as far as my b/p. Fam
Oh Famnd, that is Grrrrrrreat! Way to go! As far as goals go, ideally we would be dieting, exercising, elimintaing alcholol/tobacco, etc all at once....but let's get real here! If you can only do one thing a day, then do it! It's the little sucesses that give us the confidence and the motivation to do have more little sucesses and these add up!

Bethsheba

Old 03-01-2008, 06:21 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
...I eat on the average 5-6 veggies a day. Usually I have 3 in my salad. Then I have others with my main dish. ... Fam
I sometimes think that people get intimidated by the number of servings of veggies (or whatever) but they don't realize it doesn't mean that you have to sit down to 5-6 piles of different vegetables...as you implied, you can have 4 servings of veggies in one salad...or a sandwich (tomato, onion, lettuce, cucumber) for that matter. It's not difficult....you just have to DO it.

Bethsheba

Closed Thread