It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 06:58 AM   #1
(male)

Jezza1 HB User
Smile Any help,much appreciated,also have you heard of new BP vacine

Hi, this is my first post and any help would be much appreciated.Im aged 46, i work as a postman,so alot of walking.fairly fit,avg weight,non meat eater.non smoker,do seem to have a small amount of proteinaria in my wee.My brother and father both have high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes.10 months ago my doctor monitored my blood pressure for 2 weeks and my average reading was 150/90.I was put on 2mg of perindopril.4 weeks later my pressure was still the same,and my dose was increased to 4mg.On monitoring myself at home my readings were on avg 120/75 after taking the 4mg.Although i found i ended up with an horrible dry cough.Couple of months ago,feeling abit bad,my bp was around 170/110.My gp, then put me on another tablet called Amlodipine 5mg.I also had to do a blood fast.Results were Glucose 5.2.HDLC 0.96 Total c 4.7 Triglycerides 3.03.Are these results good or bad.My gp said my tri was abit high.Being a postmen im up early most mornings,usually have about 6 hours sleep per day.I also tend to go toilet at least once or sometimes twice a night,but my gp said my blood levels were zero for prostate problems.My main question is do you think my meds are high dose,and will i always have to take them.I hate taking tablets.I have also read there is drug company in the uk,undertaking trials of a blood pressure jab.Which said the vacine would eliminate tablets,anyone else heard about this.Thankyou for listening,i hope you resond to my post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User
Re: Any help,much appreciated,also have you heard of new BP vacine

I remember a media story about the BP vaccine making over to this side of the pond, but have heard nothing since. If you are in the UK, you already know more about this then over in the U.S. Please keep us posted. It would be great to have such a thing!

tamuprof45

Old 02-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

Regarding the new vaccine: There is a thread 08/27/2007 about it titled "A new and amazing blood pressure treatment on the horizon".

Sounds wonderful and I sincerely hope it will become available to all in not so distant future.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Jezza,

you are dealing with several issues.
high blood pressure
microalbuminuria or proteinuria
family history of diabetes

They all go hand in hand.
Proteinuria or microalbuminuria happens when protein leaks into the urine. The reason it leaks is usually because the filters in the kidneys called glomeruli are damaged. Many diseases cause inflammation of these "filters" which in turn causes small amounts of albumin - the main one of the proteins-to leak. The conditions that can damage the glomeruli include hypertension, diabetes, some kidney diseases and many others. Proteinuria in hypertension is often a sign of a reduced kidney function. You should have another test to ascertain the accuracy of the first one. Your kidney function should be tested and assessed.
Your first priority should be to get your blood pressure under control. It should be at 130/80 or less if you can manage it. Another thing you can do is to control your glucose (which is good by the way). You must start eating a healthy diet and should reduce your salt and protein intake if instructed to do so by your doctor.
If your doctor diagnoses either microalbuminaria or proteinuria (the difference between the two being the amounts and types of protein in the urine), do not panic. The two medications proven helpful in protenuria are ACE inhibitors and ARBs. Either of the two meds helps protect the kidneys and slow down the progression of kidney disease.
ACE inhibitor is also used to help PREVENT kidney damage in high-risk people, such as diabetics. My husband, a diabetic, has been on Ramipril for years.
The usual maintenance dose of Perindopril is 4-8mg daily. At your current 4mg per day, yours is not such a high dose. Normally, if BP control is not achieved with Perindopril alone, a diuretic is added. Your doctor has decided to add a calcium channel blocker. I just read an interesting chapter about the CCBs in my new book so will review it and see if the CCBs relate to renal issues in any way. Most likely you are on the calcium channel blocker for blood pressure control.
My kidney disease (still undiagnosed) was either caused by hypertension or vice versa. I have either proteinuria or microalbuminuria, I forget which. Microalbuminaria progresses to proteinuria as the amount of protein increases. You can tell when the protein in urine is high. The urine looks foamy and your hands, feet, abdomen or face swell. This only happens with high amounts of protein leaking into the urine. There are no symptoms with lower amounts. Keep in mind that these are just my thoughts and don't mean anything. In other words, do your own research and listen to your doctor. Sounds like he's been taking good care of you. You must do your part though. Eat a healthy diet, try to get MORE sleep. Bring that blood pressure down to a safe level. Your cholesterol levels are not too bad I think. Of course, they could be better. Do you take a cholesterol medication? Has your doctor suggested changing your diet? Glad to hear you get plenty of exercise!

i hope this helps a little.
good luck,
flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 02-24-2008 at 09:50 PM.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
(male)

Jezza1 HB User
Smile Re: Any help,much appreciated,also have you heard of new BP vacine

Hi Flowergirl,thankyou for your response.You seem to have a very good understanding of the various symptoms.My bp, is around 128/78 during the day.Evenings its 135/80 sometimes 140/85 on average.I do not eat any meats,must be about 15 years now.Or any fried food.My biggest down fall is biscuits and chocolate.Regards the proteinaria, i had small amounts of protein in my urine about 12 years ago.I was sent to have a kidney biospy, i was told my kidneys were fine then.And no further treatment was necessary.It was only after undertaking a blood fast,and urine sample,my gp
said there was a small amount of protein in my urine.He didnt recommend any specoial diet.Apart from cutting down on salt,lowering my bp. I hate taken the tablets, i dont like the cough,and the chanel blocker makes my face go red.But i assume this is better than having far more serious complications,if i didnt take them.Regarding sleep,unfortunatley 5-6 hours is the most i get each night.On my days off,or holidays i still get up the same time.Most nights i get up 1 to use the toilet,and its usually the same time every night.About 2 hours after i go to bed.Tried not drinking hours before i go to bed.This hasnt worked.Wish i could sleep the full time.My gp, thinks its nothing.Old age in fact.I will find out the name of the drug company in the uk,who are doing the vacine trials,and let you know.All the best, and thankyou for your help and guidance.Jezza

Last edited by moderator2; 02-25-2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: delete the quote

Old 02-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Jezza,

Let me get this straight....you are
46 years old
fit
active
a healthy weight
a vegetarian
a non smoker

There is no reason for you to have high blood pressure...

except for these things:

a family history of diabetes
sleep only 6 hours a night
wake up at night to go to the bathroom once or twice a night

Based on what you are telling us, I think you could "cure" your high blood pressure and eventually go med free in a relatively short period of time.

First off, does the laboratory who did your urine test know that you walk alot for your job? Did you do your postal route within 24 hours of "donating" urine for the lab? I ask because one thing that can falsify a urine test is alot of exercise within 24 hours of the test...if you exercise too much, protein will leak from the kidneys (this is "normal" if you get a lot of exercise within a 24 hour period of the test) and the test will not be accurate! (This happened to me once). If you think that may have been the case, you might request another test---but find out beforehand what you should and should not do before you give your urine sample. I doubt that your doctor would know, but the laboratory people should be able to tell you how to get accurate results!

Now...you have a family history of diabetes (and hypertension), you only sleep about 6 hours a night, and you get up once or twice a night to go to the bathroom even though you have no prostate or urinary problems. These are CLASSIC SYMPTOMS OF A SLEEP DISORDER!!! And sleep disorders can cause high blood pressure!! Treat the sleep disorder (a little "air" machine, no meds) and the blood pressure goes down.

Jezza, I have a family history of diabetes, getting up to pee at night, and hypertension...my blood pressure was 200/100 three years ago...it is now a little higher than normal...I do not take meds, but I do sleep with a cpap machine and I'm learning to eat better.

I would hope that you'd do a lot of reading on sleep apnea, diagnosis, and treatment. I've posted some info, and you can find some more on the sleep disorders board. Although it's relatively easy to treat, it needs to be taken VERY seriously because it can lead to diabetes, asthma, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, obesity, and other problems. In serious cases it can lead to death...so do your homework...I promise you, it will be worth it. Meds are NOT the answer and can sometimes be a part of the problem. I know...I suffered for 3 years before I discovered that my little cpap and a good diet were all that i needed (well, I need exercise, too, but I'm going to have to work on that).

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-25-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,

Beth has raised some good points. If you are able to maintain a target level of blood pressure for a year, providing there are no coexisting conditions requiring medication, your doctor might consider a dosing adjustment of your medication to begin with.

Just wanted to add that I went back to the calcium channel blocker chapter and -surprise surprise!..... Amlodipine is used off label for decreasing the amount of protein in urine (microalbuminaria). Felodipine (another CCB) is used off label in diabetic nephropathy. I didn't know that. That is quite interesting. You have a good doctor!

Good luck!

Old 02-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
Just wanted to add that I went back to the calcium channel blocker chapter and -surprise surprise!..... Amlodipine is used off label for decreasing the amount of protein in urine (microalbuminaria). Felodipine (another CCB) is used off label in diabetic nephropathy. I didn't know that. That is quite interesting...
I didn't know that either, and yes, it is interesting!! Thanks for the info, FG!!!

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-26-2008 at 03:22 PM.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:32 AM   #9
(male)

Jezza1 HB User

Flowergirl and Bethsheba, thankyou for providing some good info for me.Good to know, the bp tablets also counteract the proteinaria.Thankyou for this,it provides alot of reassurance.I have added another thread with info, about the bp vaccine.I hope this helps everyone.All the best Jezza

Closed Thread