It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2008, 05:30 AM   #1
(male)

rrajj32 HB User
do you require medicine at 130/90 bp

do you require medicine at 130/90 bp

Old 02-26-2008, 07:51 AM   #2
(male)

marantz1935 HB User
Re: do you require medicine at 130/90 bp

Hi,

I'm new to elevated blood pressure, but here's what I've learned: 120 over 80 is considered optimal (though I've read recently the 115/75 is now considered a better target). Up to 140 over 90 is considered 'high normal'. 140 over 90 or higher, is regarded as HBP. See you doctor anyway.

My GP has asked me to keep mine at 135/85. My cholesterol is also slightly raised.

Marantz.

Last edited by marantz1935; 02-26-2008 at 08:04 AM. Reason: perfectionism

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

No you do not. You need to monitor it and do what you can to normalize it. generally a good doctor will give you 6-12 months to bring your BP down. This means all the "usual suspects."

1. Lose weight
2. Stop smoking
3. Cut back drinking
4. Get 30-60 minutes of exercise a day
5. Examine your diet; try the DASH diet
6. restrict sodium
7. Check your sleep pattern for disturbances, apnea, etc.
8. Research possible supplements

Often, but not always, some of the above are enough. If your BP is still at 130/90 or higher after 6-12 months, your doctor will want to start you on low dose meds. You are "pre-hypertensive" and there is a running debate about whether meds are required or not. It depends on how your doctor reads the data. Some doctors believe that if you are over 115/75, you WILL have a stroke or heart attack. Others are more conservative.

tamuprof45

Old 02-26-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Tamuprof45, good post!

Members should read a post, like yours, prior to asking questions.

Then it would be up to the individual: either chose a healthier lifestyle, or suffer the complications of high blood pressure, and/or the side effects of blood pressure medications.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 02-26-2008 at 11:42 AM.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

You are so right Beerzoids,

One of my biggest regrets is 5 years ago when I was diagnosed with borderline HBP - I immediately took the medication I was prescribed without doing ANY research for myself or asking any questions, I just trusted that the Dr. knew best and went on my way. Worst decision I ever made.

I should have tried diet/exercise and changes like that first - and only used medication as a last resort (after extensively researching the medication).

I did not and I live to regret it everyday.

GREAT post Tampruf.

Vanessa

Old 02-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa74 View Post
One of my biggest regrets is 5 years ago when I was diagnosed with borderline HBP - I immediately took the medication I was prescribed without doing ANY research for myself or asking any questions, I just trusted that the Dr. knew best and went on my way. Worst decision I ever made.
So many of us were in the same boat. When I was first hospitalized with heart failure, twenty years ago, the doctors heaped a bunch of medications on me. I thought that these, all knowledgeable, doctors knew what was best for me. NOT!

When I complained about various side effects the doctors would just respond that the medications don't normally cause side effects, and that NONE of their other patients were bothered by the meds. NOT!

How high was your blood pressure when your doctor put you on the accursed medications? How many blood pressure readings was the decision to medicate based on?

Quote:
I should have tried diet/exercise and changes like that first - and only used medication as a last resort (after extensively researching the medication).
I lacked self control, when it came to a more healthy lifestyle. Even if the doctors beat me over the head about lifestyle, diet, exercise, etc., I guess that I would have ignored their advice because, at that younger age, the heart failure was more tolerable. So....... I continued my beer drinking and my unhealthy lifestyle until the heart failure worsened to the point that I felt like I was going to die. It was only at that point some sense permeated my thick skull!

How about you? Any improvement in your breathing problems? I hope so!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 02-26-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

M/Y BP's ranged about 138/92 ish for about a three month period of time (always taken at the Drs. office) - about 4 to 5 readings.

At the time I was taking a lot of Sudafed and Motrin for sinus migraines - and though I was a healthy weight I did not eat right nor did I exercise - I was NEVER given the option of trying natural methods to get it down - just given the medication.

The funny thing is I have been on Torpol for over 5 years and my HBP is WORSE than ever (145/100 ish and many times much higher). They just kept increasing my dosage?

I continue to struggle with the breathing (though I am very EXCITED to finally be off the Toprol and am hoping that will help it some) - but I have read your posts with GREAT interest. I love the way you have taken so much time and effort to help yourself. I think that mine too is a combination of things. I know my asthma meds raise my B/P - I seem unusually sensitive to the inhaled steroids affecting my B/P. Also I know that I have to add consistent exercise. I also want to get checked for sleep apnea.

I may have 'taken it' sitting down for 5 years - but no MORE I am going to take a page out of your book -- and start working on me MYSELF!! I am worth it - we ALL ARE!!!

I am continuing the DASH diet, bought a 'walk fit in your house' type of workout video - and I going to talk to my Dr. about Sleep Apnea testing. I am 34 years old and want to get this figured out before I waste more of my life on medication SIDE EFFECTS.

Thank you so much for all your AWESOME posts - way to go, you are such an inspiration to me.

Nessa

Old 02-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Well, what can I say? Marantz was right on with his numbers...
and Tamuprof nailed it!! Well done, prof, well done. I can only say "ditto" and agree with everyone else who posted!

Bethsheba

Old 02-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
....One of my biggest regrets is 5 years ago when I was diagnosed with borderline HBP - I immediately took the medication I was prescribed without doing ANY research for myself or asking any questions, I just trusted that the Dr. knew best and went on my way. Worst decision I ever made.

I did not and I live to regret it everyday....

Vanessa
Vanessa, this was eloquently written and holds true for many of us...I wish we could post it at the top of our board with the kidney disease post.

Bethsheba

Old 02-26-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids View Post
So many of us were in the same boat. When I was first hospitalized with heart failure, twenty years ago, the doctors heaped a bunch of medications on me. I thought that these, all knowledgeable, doctors knew what was best for me. NOT!

When I complained about various side effects the doctors would just respond that the medications don't normally cause side effects, and that NONE of their other patients were bothered by the meds. NOT!...

I lacked self control, when it came to a more healthy lifestyle. Even if the doctors beat me over the head about lifestyle, diet, exercise, etc., I guess that I would have ignored their advice because, at that younger age, the heart failure was more tolerable. So....... I continued my beer drinking and my unhealthy lifestyle until the heart failure worsened to the point that I felt like I was going to die. It was only at that point some sense permeated my thick skull!
People need to know these things...that's not to say that they will listen "now", but the information will be stored somewhere in their head and when they hit rock bottom, perhaps the message will take on new meaning...as it did for us.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-26-2008 at 03:38 PM.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Vanessa,

you are helping others by sharing your thoughts. We must do our part and raise awareness of the consequences of having a high blood pressure. I talk about it to anyone who will listen.
Tamuprof's post is great. I hope that a lot of people read it and pay attention!!! Have your blood pressure checked regularly. It only takes a couple of minutes and is painless. It could save your life.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:54 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
My BP's ranged about 138/92 ish for about a three month period of time (always taken at the Drs. office) - about 4 to 5 readings.
Surely sends a strong pattern of believable hypertension. Your's could be even higher than that because Blood Pressure increases during the day, for most people, and peaks in the evening. For some, like those with Metabolic Syndrome, blood pressure can increase, also, during the night.

Quote:
At the time I was taking a lot of Sudafed and Motrin for sinus migraines - and though I was a healthy weight I did not eat right nor did I exercise - I was NEVER given the option of trying natural methods to get it down - just given the medication.
Sorry to hear about the migraines. UGH!

Quote:
The funny thing is I have been on Torpol for over 5 years and my HBP is WORSE than ever (145/100 ish and many times much higher). They just kept increasing my dosage?
Most BP medications do not become less effective, over time. The "root causes" of the rising blood pressure, such as aging, and Metabolic Syndrome, and Diabetes, get worse. As our health problems worsen, it requires more medication. But...... medication can only do so much.

I still had a lousy diet and drank too much, all through my 50's, even though I suffered from heart failure, and chronically high blood pressure. It was only after my symptoms got so bad, and the quality of my life became so poor, that I decided to diet. Unfortunately, my going to a healthy diet was not enough. Fortunately, though, when I finally went to a small meal, frequent feeding, low calorie diet, targeting Insulin Resistance, my health, weight and blood pressure improved dramatically.

I not only take my blood pressure multiple times per day, I also monitor my weight multiple times per day.

I remember a time that I lacked the strength to get out of bed. If I did the slightest physical exercise, such as hammering a nail with a hammer, I would be exhausted and fatigued for the rest of the day. These days, I'm making roof repairs and lifting weights. Quite a turnaround!

Quote:
I continue to struggle with the breathing (though I am very EXCITED to finally be off the Toprol and am hoping that will help it some)
When I first read some of your posts, about the difficulties you have with breathing, I thought of two possible causes, Insulin Resistance (Metabolic Syndrome) and Chemical Sensitivities (MCS). I kinda rule out MCS, for now, because you seem to have the normal Allergy/Asthma problems. If you were overly sensitive to normal, everyday chemicals, odors, pollutants, etc., you'd be aware of it.

But...... I still think that Insulin Resistance could possibly be some of your problem (until it is ruled out) because of the breathing problems and the high blood pressure, and because I believe that the majority of people have some form of Insulin Resistance. You can have totally healthy weight and glucose readings and still suffer from Insulin Resistance.

Of course, your breathing problems could also have been caused by the Toprol. I sure hope that getting off the Toprol works for you!

Quote:
- but I have read your posts with GREAT interest. I love the way you have taken so much time and effort to help yourself.
Thanks for the comment.

My increased symptoms and deterioration in my quality of life forced my hand. I had to do something. But, for years, nothing that I tried worked.

Quote:
I think that mine too is a combination of things. I know my asthma meds raise my B/P - I seem unusually sensitive to the inhaled steroids affecting my B/P. Also I know that I have to add consistent exercise. I also want to get checked for sleep apnea.
How do you know that steroids raise your BP? In my case, it is the allergens and irritants, which provokes the Asthma, or Allergies, that raise my blood pressure, not the medications.

Quote:
I may have 'taken it' sitting down for 5 years - but no MORE I am going to take a page out of your book -- and start working on me MYSELF!! I am worth it - we ALL ARE!!!
With a great attitude like this, you can't help but succeed!

I'll be looking forward to following your progress!

Quote:
I am continuing the DASH diet, bought a 'walk fit in your house' type of workout video - and I going to talk to my Dr. about Sleep Apnea testing. I am 34 years old and want to get this figured out before I waste more of my life on medication SIDE EFFECTS.
Sounds like a good approach. The most effective things that I have done to improve my health and blood pressure and heart disease, were small meal, frequent feeding, low calorie diet; - daily exercise of walking; and then using a stepper and weights (after two years of improvement); - and small doses of blood pressure medication (after three years of improvement). The healthier I have gotten, the smaller the dose of medication that I needed.

Quote:
Thank you so much for all your AWESOME posts - way to go, you are such an inspiration to me.

Nessa
Thanks for your comment and your encouragement. That means a lot to me!

I read your amazing response a while ago, and I really appreciated your compliments, but I've been very busy between roof repairs and other maintenance issues. I apologize for not responding to your encouraging post earlier! I especially appreciate it because you took the time to give praise, while, at the same time, suffering from your own, nasty health problems. That shows a lot of character!

Best of regards, and good fortune with your health!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 03-04-2008 at 11:31 AM.

Closed Thread