It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
DASH Results Tallied...

I took the DASH diet challenge with the intention of reducing my pressures to a perfect 120/80...I didn't dash perfectly...didn't tally the sodium, but aside from bacon and quiche and a couple of glasses of wine, ate foods on the plan.....nor did I eat all of the servings...so there was room for improvement. Despite this, the results were positive, I think.

Pre DASH pressures averaged as high as 140/91...

DASH Week One

First Reading Average: 127/88, pulse 71
Second Reading Average: 122/88, pulse 81

DASH Week Two

First Reading Average: 123/85, pulse 70
Second Reading Average 120/88, pulse 73

I really didn't expect to see any change at all because prior to the challenge I didn't usually add any salt to my foods, I didn't (for the most part) purchase processed foods, and I tried to eat more fruits and veggies. So it was just a few small changes that brought about these figures...lower sodium "packaged"foods (mayo, catsup, canned tomatoes, margarine, cheese...) and perhaps, more fiber.

Bethsheba

PS I am currently med free and have every intention of staying that way...(the government estimates that 1/3 of the people who currently take meds could go med free by using the DASH meal plan)

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-01-2008 at 08:16 AM. Reason: typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
(male)

marantz1935 HB User
Re: DASH Results Tallied...

Great numbers Beth, your motivation alone should be comended. Keep up the great work.

I'm trying to watch my diet as well.

Marantz.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Congratulations!

Quote:
I really didn't expect to see any change at all because prior to the challenge I didn't usually add any salt to my foods, I didn't (for the most part) purchase processed foods, and I tried to eat more fruits and veggies. So it was just a few small changes that brought about these figures...lower sodium "packaged"foods (mayo, catsup, canned tomatoes, margarine, cheese...) and perhaps, more fiber.
Your blood pressure readings have shown that the DASH way of eating is the "recipe" to a better health. So what comes now? Will you stay on this diet? You now know that you can do it!!!
Keep up the good work! Following your progress day by day was great and the results awesome. Thanks for sharing!

flowergirl

Old 03-02-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Beth,

That is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC and so inspiring. I cannot wait to be able to toatlly dedicate myself to the DASH program. Once I know that the Toprol is completely out of my system and I am feeling better.

I have contuniued to incorporate the eating and will add exercise soon.

Your results are just what I needed to keep going.

AWESOME - thank you so much -and I am so happy for you and your great results!!!!

Nessa

Old 03-02-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi Beth,

Sounds like you are on your way. If you get this kind of results from diet, who knows what will happen when you exercise & lose weight. You'll have to pick yourself off the floor. I know it is very hard to change something so personal as diet, You get an A for effort & results!!! Fam

Old 03-03-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marantz1935 View Post
... your motivation alone should be comended. Keep up the great work...Marantz.
Thanks so much, Marantz! Only wish my discipline equaled my motivation, .

Good luck with your food plan...it's a great way to go! DASH offers almost immediate results, and no side effects.

It's only been a couple of days since I returned to the plan, but I got a "perfect" 120/85 this weekend. Now if I lose 65 pounds, I'll be at a normal weight and I doubt I'll have to "control" my blood pressure. Even then, I hope to be DASHing as it is a food plan for a healthy way of life.

Bethsheba

Old 03-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
...Your blood pressure readings have shown that the DASH way of eating is the "recipe" to a better health. So what comes now? Will you stay on this diet?....
Hi Flowergirl,

Got readings of 120/85 this weekend, ...so I am well on my way. Can't believe that I was 200/100 in the doctor's office about three years ago (before I had gained 35+ pounds on bp meds, ). What comes now? I'm a convert...I hope to eat the DASH way the rest of my life. I came across 150 DASH recipes that I am in the process of printing off my computer...I'm putting them in plastic sleeves and compiling them in a a "cookbook" that I can refer to when needed. There is a recipe for pork chops braised in black currant jam that I'm really looking forward to...the recipes are EASY to make but quite elegant. I like that!

Oh, and it's not really a "diet"...when I think of "diet" I think of restrictions...I think the reason this food plan is so very effective is that it focuses on what you SHOULD BE EATING and not what you shouldn't be eating. I've been on various weight loss diets for years and believe me, deprivation doesn't work. I never feel deprived eating the foods on this plan.

Although, I need to fine tune my DASHing, I'm ready to move on to exercise. Need to lose those 50 pounds so I no longer have to "control" my pressures. Will be addressing a few posts today and perhaps tomorrow, but in the past year I've said what I've had to say, and done what I've needed to do so I will be going off the boards.

Take care, flowergirl...I wish you only the best of everything.

Bethsheba

Old 03-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa74 View Post
....I cannot wait to be able to toatlly dedicate myself to the DASH program. Once I know that the Toprol is completely out of my system and I am feeling better....Your results are just what I needed to keep going....
Vanessa,

I may have mentally "totally" dedicated myself to the DASH program, but I didn't DASH perfectly and I still got results....so don't fret about being totally dedicated...do what you can for as long as you can and fine tune along the way. It took me 12 months of "preaching" DASH before I was actually "did" it...but I'm hoping that it won't take others as long as it took me!

Not everyone may be able to get off meds completely, but they should be able to get off at least 1 med if they follow this plan...and perhaps the one med they get off of will be the med that slows their metabolism so if they get off that, they can lose some weight and get off another med...who knows?

Vanessa, if you've gotten this far, you can keep going!!!! Getting off the toprol was the top of the mountain...you can ski down hill from there keeping in mind there may be some brush or a few small trees on the path down...so keep those peepers open!

Take care, Vanessa!

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-03-2008 at 08:59 AM.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
...Sounds like you are on your way. If you get this kind of results from diet, who knows what will happen when you exercise & lose weight. You'll have to pick yourself off the floor.
Hi famnd,

Yes, I finally think I am on my way...I feel good about what I've done but it is only the beginning...it's an on going process. This weekend I cooked some soups and entrees up ahead of time as that seems to be the secret of my staying on plan. I'm hoping to really start focusing on exercise now, which scares me. Although I hate exercise, before bp meds, I bicycled, hiked, walked, went camping, and did other physical activities. In the past three years, I have spent much of my time like an invalid and as a result any muscles I had atrophied so it's back to square one....oh well, this too can be overcome.

Take care, famnd.

Bethsheba

PS I should get an "A" for honesty , too, as I was sometimes embarrassed to admit I was eating the same entree for several meals...but thanks for those grades, .

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-03-2008 at 09:00 AM.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Beth,

Quote:
Got readings of 120/85 this weekend, ...so I am well on my way. Can't believe that I was 200/100 in the doctor's office about three years ago
What a perfect blood pressure reading and what an incredible story! It is so good to know that real people have accomplished getting off blood pressure medications instead of just reading about it being possible. It is good to know that blood pressure medications are not necessarily forever. Congratulations on your achievement once again.

Good luck!
flowergirl

Old 03-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #11
(male)

dmer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethsheba View Post
It's only been a couple of days since I returned to the plan, but I got a "perfect" 120/85 this weekend. Now if I lose 65 pounds, I'll be at a normal weight and I doubt I'll have to "control" my blood pressure. Even then, I hope to be DASHing as it is a food plan for a healthy way of life.

Bethsheba
My diet, in principle, conforms to DASH. I've experienced weight loss and a drop in BP since embarking on it, along with a rigorous exercise program.

What intrigues me about your posts on the topic, this one specifically, is the reference to your weight and normalized BP. You must have an exceptional physiology because 65 lbs of excess weight, even on a person who is 6' 6" tall, is detrimental to almost every yardstick for good health.

The majority of people with that level of excess weight, in addition to elevated BP, will likely have elevated lipid and glucose levels. While there can be a variety of reasons for elevated BP, the law of physics is somewhat immutable.

My curiosity aside, I wish you continuing success and good health.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmer View Post
...The majority of people with that level of excess weight, in addition to elevated BP, will likely have elevated lipid and glucose levels. While there can be a variety of reasons for elevated BP, the law of physics is somewhat immutable....
Although I do not know my exact weight in Jan of 2005, I do know it was over 200 pounds...and the letter from my doctor said my lab results (which included blood sugar) were "well within the normal range" and that my "total cholesterol was 186, tryglycerides 123, HDL or good cholesterol 53, LDL or bad cholesterol 108. These are all very good numbers..." per my doctor.

It wasn't until I was on hct for over a year that my labs began to change. By November 2006 my numbers went up and were total cholesterol 263 , triglycerides 140, high-density lipoprotein choleterol 60, low density lipoprotein 175, glucose 109. At that time he wanted to put me on a statin...I said no.

I repeated my "profile" in July of 2007 after being off of hct for about 6 months. Despite cleaning out my cheese drawer around that time (it's a long story but all connected to hct), despite no exercise, despite no real change in my diet except for eating more cheese, and despite my elevated weight, my cholesterol dropped to 236, tryglycerides 131, high density lipoprotein was 60, low density lipoprotein was 150 (which is, I know, high but is somewhat counter balanced by the high hdl).

So maybe it's heredity, .

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-03-2008 at 12:30 PM.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #13
(male)

dmer HB User

Quote:
I repeated my "profile" in July of 2007 after being off of hct for about 6 months. Despite cleaning out my cheese drawer around that time (it's a long story but all connected to hct), despite no exercise, despite no real change in my diet except for eating more cheese, and despite my elevated weight, my cholesterol dropped to 236, tryglycerides 131, high density lipoprotein was 60, low density lipoprotein was 150 (which is, I know, high but is somewhat counter balanced by the high hdl).

So maybe it's heredity, .

Bethsheba
Absent familial heart disease, your lipid numbers wouldn't be a concern, especially, as you say, with the HDL / LDL ratios. On the other hand, all of these #'s are aggravated by weight. Glucose is another "canary in the mineshaft" and while your # is elevated, glucose by itself is not an entirely reliable measurement. A Hemoglobin A1C test is more reliable. My glucose and H-A1C were elevated when I was first tested and that factor was more of a motivator for me than elevated BP because with diabetes, the wheels can start to come off the bus, so to speak.

The good news is that diet changes and weight loss can bring these into a normal range, as I have been fortunate enough to experience.

Would you mind sharing your age?

Old 03-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmer View Post
Absent familial heart disease, your lipid numbers wouldn't be a concern, especially, as you say, with the HDL / LDL ratios. On the other hand, all of these #'s are aggravated by weight. Glucose is another "canary in the mineshaft" and while your # is elevated, glucose by itself is not an entirely reliable measurement. A Hemoglobin A1C test is more reliable. My glucose and H-A1C were elevated when I was first tested and that factor was more of a motivator for me than elevated BP because with diabetes, the wheels can start to come off the bus, so to speak.

The good news is that diet changes and weight loss can bring these into a normal range, as I have been fortunate enough to experience.

Would you mind sharing your age?
Dmer,

Before being diagnosed with hypertension and before taking medication for hypertension my cholesterol ran from 140-160...it was only in the years since being diagnosed with hypertension that it jumped up..some of the elevations may be due to normal aging (prior to menopause a woman's hormones offer some protection), but some may be due to the side effects (direct and indirect) I experienced while taking hct for hypertension (hct can elevate or at least mask glucose levels and it can elevate cholesterol levels).

I don't think there is an "accurate" measurement of anything...one has to look at the entire picture. I would agree with you about the concerns regarding diabetes, and of course diet and exercise and maintaining a healthy weight would help to keep those "wheels on the bus". I know I need to bring those numbers down and if I stopped eating ice cream alone, it would help .

But as to your question, I'm in my 50's and I come from several long lines of people who ate well, exercised little, and lived long...not to be smug about it but although weight is important, it is not everything...nothing is...

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how much old Benjamin Franklin weighed. He lived until his late 80's I believe...and that was when people were "fortunate" to live until they were in their 60's.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-03-2008 at 03:52 PM.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #15
(male)

dmer HB User

Quote:
Dmer,

I don't think there is an "accurate" measurement of anything...one has to look at the entire picture. I would agree with you about the concerns regarding diabetes, and of course diet and exercise and maintaining a healthy weight would help to keep those "wheels on the bus". I know I need to bring those numbers down and if I stopped eating ice cream alone, it would help .

But as to your question, I'm in my 50's and I come from several long lines of people who ate well, exercised little, and lived long...not to be smug about it but although weight is important, it is not everything...nothing is...

Bethsheba
It's not being smug to suggest you have a genetic predisposition to good health and longevity. Niether do I think exercise a virtue and I'd prefer to be in the category that could enjoy good health without it.

When you previously embarked on a course of medication, were you given the option of modifying your diet in lieu of the drugs? I ask that question because you have established normal BP levels through diet alone.

These days, Dr.'s have turned to the convenient term "metabollic syndrome", to encompass, HBP, elevated lipids and elevated glucose. I qualified for all 3 and with BP meds and a statin + diet and exercise, BP levels are down, lipids are down and glucose is normal.

With diet alone, you have reduced the one (HBP) that I would have thought to be the most intractable without medication and weight loss. I think one lesson I would learn from your experience is that you have an excellent constitution which responds well to change. The peril would be if you "allow" a diabetic condition to develop.

When I met with my Dr. to review my BP, lipids and glucose level, he was most exorcised about my glucose, which I didn't really get at the time. He described me as "soon to be diabetic" and my glucose was lower than yours. The reason for this concern was that while meds could address the BP and lipids, "lifestyle" changes were necessary for the best results.

You've made an enormous stride in knocking down one element of bad health, I wish you continued success in all the elements of your wellbeing.

Closed Thread