It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
(female)

motheroftwoboys HB User
High blood pressure lately- always been low before- HELP!

About a month and a half ago, I began to have high blood pressure. I usually check it sometimes when I go grocery shopping- they have a cuff by the pharmacy. Anyway, I have always been around ninety or so/70. Lately, it has been around 130/85. Last week, when I was in a great deal of pain due to stomach probelms and at the doctor's office, it was 146/100. The Dr. said it was b/c I was in severe pain at the time. Since then it has been 130/85. What is wrong with me? I am only 35 and should not be having this problem. My doctor said to come back next week, and we will check it again and go from there. Any advice? I don't know really anything about high blood pressure b/c like I said I have never had this problem. In fact, three years ago when pregnant, I ran extremely low blood pressure and was hypoglycemic. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.....
P.S. I freeze to death at nighttime, yet I am dripping with sweat. Could it have anything to do with high blood pressure? (And no, it's not perimenopause b/c I still have normal periods.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
(female)

Letha HB User
Re: High blood pressure lately- always been low before- HELP!

I'm sorry I can't really be of much help. I'm new to the whole high BP thing myself. I've found that most of the people who can post helpful responses are here during the day though..so hang in there and check back tomorrow.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2008, 05:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

First of all, I think your doctor gave you good advice...go back in the next week, get it checked again, and go from there. In order to have "high" blood pressure a number of readings need to be obtained and under the correct conditions (when you are not in pain for instance---pain and pain medications, prescripton and otc can elevate pressures).

Although 130/85 may be high for you, it is considered pre hypertension by most in the medical and should not be treated with medication unless there are health reasons which should make medication necessary.

BP monitors at pharmacies, stores, etc. don't have a good reputation for being reliable. At this time in your life, it may be wise (and is highly suggested) that you buy yourself a good arm band blood pressure monitor. There are some posts on this board about choosing a reliable home monitor so you may want to review those.

The sweating at night may have to do with your "freezing" to death at night because our bodies are designed to cool themselves off by sweating. The sweating may very well be connected to the fluctuations you are experiencing with your blood pressure. Keep in mind that sweating and high blood pressure are symptoms of something else that may not be working correctly....sweating does not cause high blood pressure and high blood pressure does not cause sweating. It is very likely that something else is causing both the sweating and the high blood pressure.

Now you need more than you need to know right now.

When you go back to your doctor, and IF your bp is still high (for you), and IF your doctor writes out a prescription, I would encourage you to get a package insert (not an information sheet) on the medication/s your doctor is prescribing BEFORE you have the prescription filled. I'm jumping to conclusions here, but in case you don't get back to us for some reason I want to emphasize that it is critical to review as much drug literature as you can in order to make an informed choice about whether or not you want to assume the risks of taking that particular drug (there are many different medications for blood pressure so the prescription in hand may or may not be a good choice for you.) Too many of our doctors have overlooked our medical histories (allergies, asthma, gout, high cholesterol, etc) when prescribing these medications.

Take care.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-14-2008 at 06:06 AM.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
(female)

motheroftwoboys HB User

Thanks for the great wisdom...I will get back to you when I get my next reading at the DR.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by motheroftwoboys View Post
Thanks for the great wisdom..
I don't know if it's "great" but it's what I would do knowing what I know based on past experience, .

Hope things go well...and please do get back with us. Afterall, learning is a two or more way thing.

Good luck!

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-14-2008 at 03:22 PM.

Closed Thread