It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
(male)

manlyman HB User
Blood pressure spikes

I've come to realize that a lot of my high blood pressure issues are caused by anxiety/stress.

For instance, when I wake up in the morning, my blood pressure is USUALLY (if i'm relaxed and gotten a good nights sleep) below 120/80 or 115/75. Sometimes its even lower at 110/70. Same as I'm relaxing before going to bed.

I work out every day - yesterday I ran 4 miles and today I'll do somewhat of the same. But lately, there have been some things that have caused my stress levels and anxiety levels to go up. When those are triggered, my blood pressure can and will spike to anywhere between 135/85 and 139/88 or so for several hours.

I get anxiety attacks quite often... every few days. And this one trigger I'm working on fixing, but I question the dangers of having blood pressure spike this high!

I've had high blood pressure for years, and I was on 3 medicines for it. Now I'm down to 1, and working on getting off of it. I've never seen my blood pressure higher than 160/90, and that was during MAJOR MAJOR stress - and I think it lasted for a total of about an hour about a year ago. The last time I saw a reading higher than 145/90 was more than a year ago I believe.

What do you think? How much damage am I doing with these stress/anxiety spikes to 135/85 or 139/88? I'm 24 now. But I really don't want to have a stroke anytime soon.

About a year ago, I started developing floaters in my right eye, which worried me until I found out they are quite common. I don't really have any other health issues other than anxiety/high blood pressure, and I think the former causes the latter for the most part. I'm considering getting some Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for it.

What are all of your thoughts on these spikes?

Thanks!

-Matt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User
Re: Blood pressure spikes

As a veteran of anxiety-driven BP spikes, my advice is to calm down...seriously. With numbers like 110 systolic, you are fine!!! Anxiety spikes into the 130s and 140s systolic are not unusual. Anxiety can send BP up 40 mm on average. I have had spikes way past the numbers you cite.

You do not have high blood pressure, and the anxiety spikes you are having are only "prehypertensive." Having said that, work on stress reduction, and make sure you are eating right, exercising, doing all the usual lifestyle things to maintain good BP or lower your BP.

Also remember that BP varies by 40 mm on average during the day. If you are concerned, start taking your BP several times a week at home during the same time and see what the fluctuation is. Those numbers you cite, even the spikes, are numbers many people would gladly like to have.

tamuprof45

Old 03-19-2008, 05:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

I want to second everything the pp'er said. I don't think your "spikes" are bad at all and the sooner you can work to realize you are ok (ie, stress reduction) the better you will be Specifically I don't think you are doing any major damage to yourself. I have anxiety issues with bp as well. I really don't have much to add, but wanted to say something encouraging Keep on working out and taking care of yourself... hopefully you will learn to let all the rest go since you are doing all you *can* do

Old 03-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
(male)

dannyp HB User

With numbers like that you can relax. What worked for me in the past is exercise and eating healthy.
I find listening to music a good way to relax.
Find a similar exercise. When you feel stressed do your thing.

Last edited by dannyp; 03-23-2008 at 10:25 AM.

Closed Thread