It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #31
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: how long does it take for beta blocker to take effect?

Quote:
Depending upon symptoms, I intend to be totally off of this CCB within a week
Just be careful, OK? I tried twice and could not do it.

Quote:
I am doing very well on the Coreg 9.375 and am well on my way to increase my Coreg, two weeks from now, to 12.5mg Coreg, taken once per day.
Sounds like a good plan. I hope it works for you. There should be fewer side effects. Reducing the amount of medication has many advantages.

Quote:
I can't believe it! I've been suffering from these stupid, nasty immune system problems for decades. I am finally getting better!
I don't think that most people realize how much of their health problems are made significantly worse from bad diets. Being on the most effective medications (taken on the most effective schedule) AND avoiding the triggers that negatively effect blood pressure, heart failure and immune system disease, are very important, but disease can be greatly improved just through healthy diets, IMHO
You must be doing something right! I believe our medication affects the immune system to a great extent. It causes rashes and other dermatological problems and many other issues that we are left to deal with as best we can. I am so glad you are doing much better now. I agree that the diet is the key to success. But WHICH one???

I read two books about the immune system last year because I have some issues with that as well. They were both fascinating. The diet (tried and proven effective) to boost the immune system, suggested in one of the books, was only doable under laboratory conditions and heavy supervision. It took months to see the results. The people involved in proving how well the diet worked did not actually have to do any cooking for the duration of the study/experiment. The food was supplied ready to eat. I don't remember what the diet was about - only that I would NEVER stick with it. It was just too...labour intensive, strict or strange.

Keep up the good work!
flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2008, 08:57 AM   #32
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
... Based on results so far, starting this morning I have totally stopped taking my Verapamil (CCB), am into my seventh day without my Ace Inhibitor, and am into my fifth day of Coreg 9.375mg. I am still on Digoxin and Warfarin. ... It can take weeks for a medication, like Verapamil, to wear off, so I am hoping that the effects of Coreg, combined with Digoxin, will continue to compensate for the loss of Verapamil over the next few weeks.
My current medication status:
  • 9th day without my Ace Inhibitor
  • 3rd day without Verapamil
    Blood Pressure jumped from 125/72 Friday (based on 12 readings) to 136/78 Saturday (based on 15 readings).
    • Highest Reading Saturday: 158/86 @ 8pm
  • 42nd day on Coreg.
    • 1st 35 days, 6.25mg Coreg
    • next 5 days, 9.375mg Coreg
    • now 2 days on 12.5mg Coreg
      I increased my Coreg to 12.5mg much quicker than I intended, in order to try to mitigate the increase in my blood pressure caused by the withdrawal of Verapamil and my AceI. Last night, for about an hour, I felt very lightheaded and fainty.

I don't know if the increase in my blood pressure is caused by the withdrawal of the Verapamil, or from the loss of the blood pressure lowering effects of Verapamil, or both. My thoughts are that the increase in my blood pressure is caused by the loss of the Verapamil rather than withdrawal effects. Even so, I am trying one more day, today, without Verapamil, to see if the 12.5mg of Coreg can keep my blood pressure averages down near 120/70. If my average blood pressure for today repeats near 136/78, or goes even higher then I will consider reducing my Coreg back to 9.375mg and going back on 80mg Verapamil, once a day. Or... I might go another day without making a change and see what happens. OTOH, I might have to go back on only 40mg Verapamil because I think that the combo of Verapamil and Coreg were reducing my blood pressure too much. What to do...... what to do........ Amazingly, for years, mainly the seven long, frustrating years, from 1998 through 2004, my blood pressure averaged 147/93 (based on almost 15,000 blood pressure readings). It wasn't that I wanted to live with that high of an average blood pressure, it was that I could not figure out, until after 2004, what factors caused higher blood pressure.

I was (am) hoping that I could keep my blood pressure down at very healthy levels with only Coreg, Diet and avoiding unhealthy triggers that, not only increase blood pressure, but also effect heartbeat, heart rhythm and autoimmune disease. As has happened MANY times in the past two decades, every time I stop taking Verapamil, my blood pressure averages suffer. OTOH, it's great having a medication like Verapamil that effectively lowers my blood pressure.

So...... it sure looks like I will end up with Coreg and Verapamil for the control of my blood pressure, which is not what I wanted, but is acceptable.

This is all very complicated. I sit here, without any medical training, wondering the best course of action, and being a little concerned if the changes in my medications might result in unexpected and nasty side problems. It amazes me that any doctor can really know what is best for their patients, when the doctors never take into account the patient's genetics, diet, environment and lifestyle, all of which can have a major impact on the effects of medication.

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 05-05-2008 at 04:22 PM.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #33
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
increased my Coreg to 12.5mg much quicker than I intended, in order to try to mitigate the increase in my blood pressure caused by the withdrawal of Verapamil and my AceI. Last night, for about an hour, I felt very lightheaded and fainty.
Why is it so difficult for some of us to discontinue calcium channel blockers? I managed to get off a beta blocker dose in the past (with some difficulties), but not the CCB. Knowing that others experience similar withdrawal problems puts things into a new perspective. When I compare the withdrawal symptoms of my CCB with those of my alpha/beta blocker, Labetalol, I suspect that the CCB has a much greater effect on the heart. The symptoms were much more severe with the CCB. Even a dose reduction of the CCB some weeks later resulted in the same cardio symptoms, which cleared up once back on a full dose. This makes me wonder about the role of calcium chanels in the overall heart function and what effect the medications I take might have on these channels. I guess I'll have to do some reading..

Quote:
I don't know if the increase in my blood pressure is caused by the withdrawal of the Verapamil, or from the loss of the blood pressure lowering effects of Verapamil, or both. My thoughts are that the increase in my blood pressure is caused by the loss of the Verapamil rather than withdrawal effects. I might have to go back on only 40mg Verapamil because I think that Verapamil and Coreg was reducing my blood pressure too much. What to do...... what to do........
Sorry...it seems your choices are somewhat limited. My withdrawal symptoms included fast and irregular heart rate, increased blood pressure, chest pain and other irregularities. It is not surprising your blood pressure has increased. My guess is that your increase in blood pressure is tied to the loss of the drug. Your body is trying to compensate somehow. Haemodynamic regulation, calcium ions, nitric oxide and other factors could all play a role.

Did you know that people on beta blockers should not take Verapamil concurrently? The reason for this is that the depressant effects on myocardial contractility, heart rate and AV conduction are often additive. I remember you mentioning your increases in blood pressure with the addition of Coreg. Perhaps the additive effects were somehow responsible for the increases in blood pressure. If you go back on Verapamil, be careful. Doctors combine Verapamil with a beta blocker rarely, always as an exception, not a rule. Close monitoring is a must.

Quote:
This is all very complicated. I sit here, without any medical training, wondering the best course of action, and being a little concerned if the changes in my medications might result in unexpected and nasty side problems. It amazes me that any doctor can really know what is best for their patients, when the doctors never take into account the patient's genetics, diet, environment and lifestyle, all of which can have a major impact on the effects of medication
I could not agree with you more! It is all very complicated and our doctors do not always know what is best for us. Standard treatment methods are not suitable for all patients. Choosing treatment options and medications is like cooking - if one recipe does not yield acceptable results, another is tried. Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to consult with your doctor - his insight could prove helpful. Or not.

Good luck and keep us posted.
flowergirl

Old 05-09-2008, 06:39 AM   #34
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
If my average blood pressure for today repeats near 136/78, or goes even higher then I will consider reducing my Coreg back to 9.375mg and going back on 80mg Verapamil, once a day. Or... I might go another day without making a change and see what happens. OTOH, I might have to go back on only 40mg Verapamil because I think that the combo of Verapamil and Coreg were reducing my blood pressure too much. What to do...... what to do........
Blood pressure average over past 7 days: 126/73 based on 91 readings.

I am still doing a minimum of 360 lifts per day with two ten pound weights, and a minimum of 360 steps per leg, on my stair climber.

The following is the status of my medication:
  • Coreg: - 46th day since I started Coreg, and the 7th day of being on 12.5mg Coreg, once a day.
    Coreg is supposed to lower my blood pressure and control my Atrial Fibrillation and is also supposed to be beneficial for heart failure.
  • CCB Verapamil: 8th day without taking Verapamil
    • Verapamil is not supposed to be used by heart failure patients, but it was my most effective blood pressure medication, prior to Coreg.
    • My previous attempts to get on Coreg failed because I was previously taking medications which conflicted with Coreg.
    • My many previous attempts to get off Verapamil failed because my blood pressure went up too high and stayed there.
  • Ace Inhibitor: 14th day without taking AceI.
    Ace Inhibitors are supposed to be very beneficial for heart failure patients. But... with my blood pressure at healthy levels, I don't want to lower the blood pressure additionally by taking the AceI.

It's much too early to determine the full effects of being off Verapamil (CCB) for the first time in 20 years, and only being on Coreg and Digoxin for the control of my blood pressure and Atrial Fibrillation and heart failure. It will be at least two more weeks before I'll know the full effects of my current medicine schedule.

Current symptoms:
  • Labored Breathing
    Infrequent. No more no less than before. Could be caused by medication withdrawal. Time will tell.
  • Woozy, Dizzy
    Infrequent. Not a major problem.
  • Weak Heartbeat
    Infrequent. More of a problem at night.
  • Strong, regular healthy Heartbeat
    Not used to my heart sounding so regular and solid!
  • Increased libido
    Well, well, well...... I like these types of problems!
  • Confusion/Lack of ability to concentrate
    Somewhat frequent. No more than before.
  • Lack of enthusiasm, tiredness
    Frequent. Same as before.
    So much for the increased libido!
  • Overactive/Over-reactive Neurohormonal System
    This is a normal problem with heart disease, heart failure and autoimmune disease, IMHO. Haven't tested this yet. I am waiting for the dust to settle. Haven't been on the new medicine schedule long enough.
  • Chest pains
    Infrequent. When they happen I try to go into a more relaxed state.
Overall I am overjoyed with the results!

I am excited to be off both Verapamil and the AceI, and to be on Coreg. Coreg has been shown to improve a weakened/enlarged heart and to be effective, along with Digoxin, in the treatment of Atrial Fibrillation.

I've having heart tests later this month and I'm looking for a minimum in the progression of my Heart Failure, and actually hoping to see an improvement in the measurements. I'm hoping that the past two years of very healthy blood pressure, diet and lifestyle reflect positively in the heart tests. I am also interested if there are any negative effects of lifting weights on my heart.

Fingers crossed!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 05-09-2008 at 11:11 AM.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:21 PM   #35
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Overall I am overjoyed with the results!
That is so good to hear! How nice you've been able to eliminate two medication by taking your chances and risking rebound hypertension or worse.

The fact that there aren't any major additional side effects is a very good news. It seems this beta blocker is agreeing with you. Your situation calls for close monitoring of the symptoms. You've been doing that all along. I cannot imagine any doctor spending even a fraction of the time to monitor all the variables the way you do. The stats you've compiled make a very useful tool for helping make decisions regarding your treatment. I hope your doctor is as pleased as you are and finds the results agreeable.

Quote:
I am also interested if there are any negative effects of lifting weights on my heart
I wonder if there's a way to tell. Isn't that what the doctors always ask their patients to do...exercise to strengthen the heart muscle? In general, resistance exercises are supposed to be good for the heart. Your exercise regimen is admirable.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:57 AM   #36
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
That is so good to hear! How nice you've been able to eliminate two medication by taking your chances and risking rebound hypertension or worse.
Hi Flowers!

Thanks!

Still have a few weeks to go. Each day I expect some nasty symptom to rear it's ugly head, or some reason why I would have to get off of Coreg. So far things are going pretty good.

Quote:
The fact that there aren't any major additional side effects is a very good news. It seems this beta blocker is agreeing with you.
Had some increased breathing problems last night. Fairly strong, regular heartbeat, so it wasn't the heart failure, per se. Listened to heartbeat, sounded like it was a little stressed, but, it is so difficult, even after all these years, to determine how well the heart is functioning just by listening to the beat. When the heart's timing is off (ectopic) it can still sound somewhat normal. Without an EKG, there is no way to know how well the heart is functioning.

I wish that there was an inexpensive at-home, self-diagnosing EKG. Hmmmm!? I wonder how much one would cost? Probably too much.

Anyway, it was tolerable and not long lasting.

Quote:
Your situation calls for close monitoring of the symptoms. You've been doing that all along. I cannot imagine any doctor spending even a fraction of the time to monitor all the variables the way you do.
That's my main message in my posts. Patients can benefit greatly by being more proactive and not thinking of their doctors as gods. In my case it's a matter of life or death, and a matter of quality of life. Heart Failure is a progressive disease that tends to get worse as one ages, and I have already aged! Heart Failure, combined with persistent Atrial Fibrillation has an even higher rate of morbidity and mortality and decrease in quality of life. Do I want to trust my very life to someone who is going to spend a minimum of time evaluating and analyzing my health?

I'm retired. I've got the time. So, I spend my retirement time working on my main hobbies, my heart and my health. Besides that...... back in 2003-2004 my health was getting significantly worse. I had to do something.

Quote:
The stats you've compiled make a very useful tool for helping make decisions regarding your treatment. I hope your doctor is as pleased as you are and finds the results agreeable.
My doctor is a very caring and flexible cardiologist. Nice guy!

We'll see how pleased he is. I've got tests scheduled for later this month.

Quote:
I wonder if there's a way to tell. Isn't that what the doctors always ask their patients to do...exercise to strengthen the heart muscle? In general, resistance exercises are supposed to be good for the heart. Your exercise regimen is admirable.
Moderate exercise is supposed to be good for a weakened heart, but anything that causes stress on a weak, stretched out heart, will further weaken the heart. High blood pressure, erratic heartbeat, excess hormones or doing physical activity that causes too much demand on a weakened heart, can all worsen a failed heart.

Thanks for your post. Have a nice weekend!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 05-10-2008 at 05:14 AM.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:23 AM   #37
Senior Veteran
(male)

To remain on the topic of "how long before a Beta Blocker becomes effective":

I've now been on Coreg 12.5mg since May 3rd. I started on 6.25mg Coreg on March 24th, and increased to 9.375mg of Coreg on April 9th. I've also been totally off my Verapamil since May 2nd, and totally off my Ace Inhibitor since April 27th.

These have been my blood pressure averages since starting Coreg 12.5mg:
  • May 3: 136/78, readings-15
    Coreg 12.5mg, day 1
  • May 4: 129/75, readings-16
  • May 5: 122/71, readings-15
  • May 6: 128/75, readings-12
  • May 7: 126/74, readings-15
    Coreg 12.5mg, end of day 5
  • May 8: 120/71, readings-15
  • May 9: 121/70, readings-12
  • May 10: 119/71, readings-14
  • May 11: 122/73, readings-15
  • May 12: 111/67, readings-11
  • May 13: 118/68, readings-10
  • May 14: 117/68, readings-8
  • May 15: 117/69, readings-10
  • May 16: 116/68, readings-9
  • May 17: 114/69, readings-9
  • May 18: 103/67, readings-11
    Whoa! Syncope! Felt like going to faint for two straight days!
    The 17th was bad, but the 18th was even worse. Must reduce Coreg!

As can been seen, there was a significant decrease in my blood pressure averages starting with the 6th day of Coreg 12.5mg

It amazes me that my blood pressure averages are at such a healthy level, solely on Coreg 12.5mg, and, not only without my Calcium Channel Blocker (CCB) and without my Ace Inhibitor, but while also going through the withdrawal of the CCB and AceI!

Prior to Coreg, if I stopped taking Verapamil (CCB) my blood pressure would go significantly higher, into unhealthy levels, with uncomfortable peaks.

For me, it has been a four pronged approach towards healthy blood pressure, and better health.
  • Diet of less than 2000 calories of high fiber, small meal, frequent feeding.
    • I eat five high fiber, low calorie meals per day, and three, low calorie, snack meals per day.
  • Physical exercise
    • I weight lift two 10 pound weights at least 360 times per day
    • I do at least 360 steps on the stepper per day.
    • I power-walk 30 minutes, twice a day.
  • Avoiding the triggers that cause unhealthy body reactions
    • As I've gotten healthier, some of the triggers have less impact on my blood pressure, chest pains, breathing difficulties, etc., but, sad to say, there are still some triggers which, I guess, are still too much for my immune system to handle.
  • Most effective Medication on the most healthy schedule.
Overall, I feel pretty good. My main problems are with tiredness and lack of enthusiasm. It's a struggle to talk myself into doing my exercise. There's still a few days before my Coreg blood levels get to maximum, so the next few days might be interesting.

I realize that we all react differently, for many reasons, but, at least, this is one person's actual experience with a Beta Blocker.

Update May 16th: Symptoms of "Tiredness and lack of enthusiasm" are getting better, probably as my body adjusts to the withdrawal of the CCB and the AceI, and my body gets used to Coreg. In fact, I have increased my exercise.

I am excited about being able to tolerate Coreg, with minimum side effects, and with, seemingly, optimum control over my heart rate and blood pressure. I think that I will leave the dose at 12.5mg per day.

Wow! It just hit me! If I continue to do well on the current mix of medications, I won't have anything else to test!? I feel a wave of calmness flowing through my body I'll keep tracking my blood pressure, but am going to cut back on the number of readings. I've got a heart echo coming up. I am hoping that the results reflect positively on all of my efforts.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 05-19-2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: May 19th update of progress, Syncope! Had to fight against passing out!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:25 PM   #38
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am so glad you've had further blood pressure reductions. As you pointed out, it is a matter of finding the best medication, whose effects on the body are enhanced and complimented by a vigorous exercise regimen and a very healthy diet.

It is always good to have choices. The more, the better. It is nice to have several beta blockers to choose from. I did some reading about how well Coreg, Bisoprolol and Toprol XL had performed in the clinical trials and subsequent studies. Most trials were ended way before the scheduled completion dates, because the effectiveness of beta blockers in CHF was undisputable. Coreg achieved the best results in reducing blood pressure - perhaps because of the incorporated alpha blocker. EF has been shown to improve in the first 4 months of Coreg use as much as it was going to. Heart size continues to improve over a longer period of time. The only drawback seems to be a frequent upper respiratory tract infection when starting Coreg. The tiredness and lack of enthusiasm - as you describe them - are both very common side effects, probably more pronounced in CHF. Do not be surprised if you find your exercise tolerance affected. Beta blockers are known for that.

Thanks for your update!

flowergirl

Old 05-19-2008, 04:39 PM   #39
Senior Veteran
(male)

I reduced the Coreg to 9.375mg today, Monday May 19th. For the past two days, off and on, I felt like I was going to pass out (Syncope).

My blood pressure was getting too low and it was very worrying!

My blood pressure averaged 103/67 on the 18th. Much, much too low of an average. I wouldn't mind a fixed blood pressure around 103/67, but, as an average, it means that my blood pressure went significantly lower. For instance, at 7:30pm last night my reading was at 96/57; at 2pm 98/52. I was a little worried about falling asleep last night, since blood pressure tends to go even lower while sleeping, so I was concerned about going into a coma while sleeping!

Well..... so far today, on the reduced dose of 9.375mg Coreg, my blood pressure has been averaging 121/70 based on 11 readings, and I feel great! Haven't had to fight Syncope today.

Interestingly, I had finally been able to avoid a major trigger of high blood pressure, for the first time in 20 years, starting May 11th. I had never been able to go a day without encountering this particular trigger, and I finally figured out how to do it. That's also when my blood pressure started to go additionally lower. Did the elimination of this particular "high blood pressure trigger" result in needing less Coreg? I think so! The fewer "high blood pressure triggers" in one's life, the less medication is required. I think so, but it is just a theory of mine. It's worked for me.

Now let's see if I can stay at 9.375mg Coreg.

Addendum, added May 31, 2008: Now reduced to 3.125mg Coreg, once a day, going into the 5th day. I've not only had to reduce Coreg down to this small dose, I'm also still off Verapamil (CCB) since May 2nd, and off of my Ace Inhibitor since April 27th. After successfully removing the major high blood pressure "trigger", the Coreg was lowering my blood pressure too much and causing me constant problems of feeling like I was going to pass out. I had no choice but to eliminate and reduce my blood pressure medications, and do it as quickly as I could. To tell the truth, the experience was a quite frightening!

My blood pressure, since being on Coreg 3.125mg, once per day, has been 122/72 based on 38 readings, with a Systolic standard deviation of 9.5 and a Diastolic standard deviation of 6.4, which is quite good, the Syncope is gone, my energy levels are back up, and I feel pretty good!

It has taken many years to discover and learn to avoid numerous "triggers" which either cause higher blood pressure, heart rhythm disturbances, fatigue, chest pains or other health problems. I've found out that there are major triggers and minor triggers. I am not sure whether or not the removal of this latest major trigger would have had such a profound positive effect on my health, if I hadn't also made so many other changes to my lifestyle, environment and diet, but I do know that, as long as people continue to encounter their own particular negative triggers, then they will continue to suffer from chronic health problems.

Addendum, added June 14, 2008:

I've now been on Coreg 3.125mg, once a day, for 19 days. I've been off Verapamil for 44 days, off my Ace Inhibitor for 50 days and have reduced my Digoxin down to .125mg once per day, for 11 days, and I am doing fine.

My average blood pressure, based on 430 readings, for the months of May and June, 2008, has been 119/70.

My total medicine load is now Coreg 3.125mg once per day, Digoxin .125mg once per day, and Warfarin 2.5mg once per day.

I've also significantly increased the size of my meals, and have reduced my meals from eight meals per day, to seven meals per day, with all foods having low Glycemic loads and being low on the Glycemic Index. My one hour postprandial, and two hour postprandial, and my fasting blood glucose numbers are at healthy levels.

Twenty years battling the progressive diseases, Congestive Heart Failure and Atrial Fibrillation, and my health and my immune system continues to get better and stronger.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 06-14-2008 at 01:14 PM.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:52 PM   #40
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,

Quote:
My blood pressure was getting too low and it was very worrying!
For instance, at 7:30pm last night my reading was at 96/57; at 2pm 98/52. I was a little worried about falling asleep last night, since blood pressure tends to go even lower while sleeping, so I was concerned about going into a coma while sleeping!
This happens to be one of my biggest fears - the blood pressure falling too low at night so that the pumping action of the heart might not be sufficient to sustain circulation. I read that bad things can happen when the diastolic pressure drops below 50. The lowest my diastolic ever got was 54 or 56. Low blood pressure scares me much more than very high blood pressure.

Initially, I had the opposite problem - my blood pressure increasing to unacceptable levels in the evenings and remaining elevated through the night. The meds taken in the evenings seemed to make little difference. It finally stabilized some time ago. Now it's somehow too low. My readings last night before going to bed (without the evening meds) were 96/62 and 103/68. I doubt I will ever be able to figure out what affects it so. When I woke up this morning, the bp measurements were 119/81 and 120/76. I hope there was no further drop in blood pressure while I slept.

I wonder if my beta blocker has anything to do with the lower blood pressure. Perhaps being switched to Norvasc some weeks ago from another CCB has enhanced the blood pressure lowering effects of another medication enough to cause a significant blood pressure reduction.

Quote:
Well..... so far today, on the reduced dose of 9.375mg Coreg, my blood pressure has been averaging 121/70 based on 11 readings, and I feel great! Haven't had to fight Syncope today.
I hope your blood pressure averages remain this good! Following your progress in blood pressure lowering has been really interesting and educational. Thanks for sharing.

Best of luck.

flowergirl

Old 06-30-2008, 08:17 AM   #41
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I've now been on Coreg 3.125mg, once a day, for 19 days. I've been off Verapamil for 44 days, off my Ace Inhibitor for 50 days and have reduced my Digoxin down to .125mg once per day, for 11 days, and I am doing fine.
A total turnaround! Amazing! I finally found, and eliminated, the grand kahuna of my many triggers of high blood pressure, heart rhythm irregularities and immune system over-activators (autoimmune triggers). Wow!

I'm now off of ALL blood pressure medications. I've been off my CCB for 60 days, my Ace Inhibitor for 66 days and now totally off Coreg for three days. The only medications that I am still taking are .125mg Digoxin, for Atrial Fibrillation and Heart Failure, and 2.5mg Warfarin, to protect against blood clots. Oh....... and my Asthma and Sinus inhalers! (mustn't lie )

My average blood pressure for June, based on 158 readings, has been 118/71. This is the very first month where my average systolic has been under 120.

My average blood pressure for May, based on 343 readings, was 120/70.

My blood pressure database has now passed the 25,000 readings level, covering 1998 through today.

I am now eating fewer meals, with much, MUCH larger, low glycemic salads. I literally stuff myself with each meal and I love the food, which is around 30% mostly healthy fats, 18% protein and 52% mostly healthy carbs. I am becoming addicted to my Low Glycemic Index diet! I am not gaining any weight, no matter how much I eat of Low Glycemic Foods, and my one hour and two hour and eight hour Postprandial Blood Sugar readings are at healthy levels.

As can been seen, I took my blood pressure far fewer times, this month, due to constantly healthy numbers, with little, if no medication. I intend to increase the readings for awhile, until I can verify that I can remain totally off Coreg. But, if successful (I hope, I hope), this will indeed be a major milestone in my 20 year battle against Heart Failure, Persistent Atrial Fibrillation, Metabolic Syndrome and Immune System (Autoimmune) problems.

I have long believed that a healthy diet, combined with demanding physical exercise are the greatest two "medications", but I am now becoming a believer in the magic of Glycemic Index & Load!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 07-05-2008 at 06:54 AM.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #42
Senior Veteran
(female)

Congratulations!

Quote:
A total turnaround!
Amazing! I finally found, and eliminated, the grand kahuna of my many triggers of high blood pressure, heart rhythm irregularities and immune system over-activators. Wow!
Would you mind sharing WHAT it is? I am so excited for you (and more than just a little bit jelous)!!! I hope I don't have to wait 20 years to gain complete control of my blood pressure.

Quote:
I'm now off of ALL blood pressure medications. I've been off my CCB for 60 days, my Ace Inhibitor for 66 days and now totally off Coreg for three days. The only medications that I am still taking are .125mg Digoxin, for Atrial Fibrillation and Heart Failure, and 2.5mg Warfarin, to protect against blood clots. Oh....... and my Asthma and Sinus inhalers! (mustn't lie )
I can't belive you've done it. Even though it's taken you a while....the end result is amazing. Thank you for giving those of us with similar issues hope. Have you ever had to face feeling discouraged and sort of ready to throw in the towel? It's not easy to remain optimistic in terms of dealing with some of these issues, especially when encountering setbacks along the way.
You've come a long, long way, proving to everyone that it can be done. I'd like to see your doctor's face when you tell him you don't need any bp meds.

Quote:
I am now eating fewer meals, with much, MUCH larger, low glycemic salads. I literally stuff myself with each meal and I love the food, which is around 30% mostly healthy fats, 18% protein and 52% mostly healthy carbs. I am becoming addicted to my Low Glycemic Index diet! I am not gaining any weight, no matter how much I eat of Low Glycemic Foods, and my one hour and two hour and eight hour Postprandial Blood Sugar readings are at healthy levels.
Thank your for sharing your strategy for attaining perfect blood pressure without the antihypertensive medication. It is something I am determined to work on in the weeks and months to come. Perseverance and faith can go a long way.

Quote:
I have long believed that a healthy diet, combined with demanding physical exercise are the greatest two "medications", but I am now becoming a believer in the magic of Glycemic Index & Load!
Sounds like a recipe for a good blood pressure control....WOW!!! The only part I am not too crazy about and might have a problem with is the......demanding exercise.

Keep up the good work! Best of luck,

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 06-30-2008 at 05:10 PM.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #43
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

What are immune system over activators? I am so happy for you!!! You certainly deserve your prize. Hard work pays off sometimes.

I would do hard physical exercise if I knew I wouldn't risk damage to my heart given that I am on such a heavy beta blocker load.

Fam

Old 07-05-2008, 09:41 AM   #44
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
What are immune system over activators?
To be specific, immune system over-activators are Autoimmune Triggers. These are many, MANY things that can cause an AutoImmune reaction within our bodies, causing nasty body reactions such as Higher Blood Pressure, Heart Rhythm/Beat irregularities, Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, worsening Heart Failure, etc.

High Blood Pressure is, in most cases, an Autoimmune Disease, IMHO, caused, in part, by an unhealthy diet, lack of effective exercise and due to AutoImmune Triggers that are the result of body defects.

I've got body defects, such as a damaged heart and a damaged valve, both of which causes AutoImmune reactions to various triggers.

It has taken me over 20 years, dealing with heart failure and immune system problems, to learn this.

I firmly believe that someone, who is dying of severe heart failure, or any other debilitating AutoImmune Disease, and getting progressively worse, can significantly improve their health through healthy diet, taking the most effective medications and avoiding the AutoImmune Triggers that are making his heart and his condition worse.

Heart Failure patients don't get progressively worse just because their hearts are damaged, they get worse because of their body's autoimmune reactions. Eliminate the AutoImmune "triggers", and the patient WILL get better, much better!

Quote:
I am so happy for you!!! You certainly deserve your prize. Hard work pays off sometimes.
Twenty Years ago I was told that my heart was damaged and failing. Along with that were the nasty effects of heart failure, such as chest pain, difficult breathing, fatigue, tiredness, oversweating, etc.

It really beats one down when told that by a Cardiologist. You not only feel sick but you lose some hope for your future. It was quite a shock!

Little did I know that I was my own worst enemy. I ate and drank very unhealthy. I did no exercise. I did not know or understand about AutoImmune Triggers. So...... I continued to get worse!

My journey back to good health started by reading about Insulin Resistance, on HealthBoards. I then started a diet targeting Insulin Resistance, and started a thread on Healthboards, back in January 2005, 3 1/2 years ago, to document my progress:

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=242229[/url]

The positive effects on my health, from a very healthy diet, targeting Insulin Resistance, were almost immediate. Whereas, in a lot of other diets, the positive results are slow in coming, with a diet targeting Insulin Resistance, the rewards come quickly.

But..... thank you for your very kind comments! That was very nice of you to say!

Quote:
I would do hard physical exercise if I knew I wouldn't risk damage to my heart given that I am on such a heavy beta blocker load.

Fam
I do around 360 lifts, with two ten pounds weights, one in each hand, and 360 steps, per leg, on my stepper, plus two 30 minute power walks, each and every day, right here in my home.

That said, I started out slowly, very slowly. I started out with the power walks, but just a couple of half-lifts, and no steps. I slowly, very slowly increased the exercise as my heart could handle it. With a weakened heart, you sure don't want to make it worse by overworking it.

Anyway..... sorry about rambling on. I posted much more than you asked about. Your complimentary, nice words got me going, so I can blame it on you!

Regards, have a great day!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 07-05-2008 at 02:46 PM.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #45
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
That said, I started out slowly, very slowly. I started out with the power walks, but just a couple of half-lifts, and no steps. I slowly, very slowly increased the exercise as my heart could handle it. With a weakened heart, you sure don't want to make it worse by overworking it.
How have your lungs handled the breathing during an exercise or other strenuous activity? Gaining control of one's breathing during exertion could turn out to be a real challenge. Can a person manipulate the breathing somehow and prevent shortness of breath from occuring? Does the SOB ever go away?
Many thanks for your post.

Closed Thread