It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 05:34 AM   #1
(female)

needhealing777 HB Userneedhealing777 HB User
how long does it take for beta blocker to take effect?

I started taking propranolol for SVT and high blood pressure (borderline)..I have only noticed a couple number difference in both since starting it..does it take awhile (days) to start working or should it work with the first pill?

Old 03-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
(female)

nailchick2000 HB User
Re: how long does it take for beta blocker to take effect?

They put me on an ACE inhibitor and a dieretic, it only took a couple of days to see a lower reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I started taking the non-selective beta blocker Coreg (Carvedilol) five days ago. I've noticed an immediate increase in blood pressure. I'm hoping that, over time, Coreg eventually lowers my blood pressure down to where it was before I started taking it.

Each of us can react differently to meds.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 03-28-2008 at 09:04 AM.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

How very interesting, Beerzoids!

I wonder if you had been on a beta1 blocker prior to starting the beta2 and how did it work (or didn't) for you? The non-selective beta2 blockers don't agree with me but I find a lower dose of beta1 tolerable.

flowergirl

Old 03-28-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Hi FlowerGirl!

I had never taken a beta blocker before.

I selected Coreg because it seems to be one of the most effective medications for treating Heart Failure complicated by Atrial Fibrillation, it's positive effect in treating Insulin Resistance, and that Coreg works very well with Digoxin, which I also take.

I've been battling Heart Failure and Atrial Fibrillation, among other health problems, for over 20 years. As I've aged, I've found that I have to make additional changes to stay ahead of the game. So far, so good.

So...... I am really hoping that Coreg works as well for me as it has for others. After five days, I am tolerating it well, the only problems being somewhat higher blood pressure and a slower heartbeat. The positive is that I feel better and that it "seems to be" calming my Neurohormonal system a bit. It takes Coreg 7-14 days to become fully effective, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the question.

You say that you've found your beta blocker tolerable. Is it effective for you? Which one, and how long have you been on it?

Thanks!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 03-28-2008 at 11:32 AM.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Hi Beerzoids,

Glad to hear that you are doing well. I keep you in my thoughts and prayers - and will say a pray that the Coreg works well for you!!

I am to try Norvasc next - not sure about that one - a little scared!

Vanessa

Hi Flower!!

Hope you are doing good as well

Nessa

Old 03-28-2008, 05:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Beerzoids,

I am sure you've done plenty of research before deciding to add this beta blocker to your therapy. I would have done the same. My book about cardiovascular pharmacotherapeutics has some interesting information that might explain your rise in blood pressure upon initiating the beta blocker therapy.

Apparently, non-selective beta blockers can cause peripheral resistance to rise by leaving alpha stimulatory mechanism unopposed. They say that one should ask if there's a clinical correlation between the beta blocking effect on the plasma renin activity and the lowering of blood pressure.
High renin patients do not respond to beta blockers and may even show a RISE in blood pressure.

Some beta blocking drugs can antagonize symphahetically mediated renin release. (one of several mechanisms utilized in the release of renin). Other major factors are renal perfusion pressure, posture and a sodium balance. The COMET trial with Carvedilol and Metoprolol is mentioned here. There is also a long list of possible mechanisms by which the ventricular function is thought to be improved with the use of this drug in heart failure. The beta blockers' effectiveness lies in blocking the neurohormonal cascade which leads to progression of the disease.
The beta blocker I take, Bisoprolol, is also approved for use in heart failure. Spironolactone, an aldosterone antagonist, is supposed to be helpful in treating CHF. I take 5mg of Bisoprolol, which is not a very high dose. It does not interfere with my breathing at this dose the way the non-selective beta blockers do. I wouldn't know what (if any) side effects I might be experiencing from this drug because of the other drugs I also take. Probably shortness of breath if I exert myself too much - which I try very hard not to do.
I wish you the best of luck with Carvedilol - it seems like a perfect drug with very impressive results in the trials. I hope your blood pressure levels off and eventually gets back to normal.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 03-28-2008 at 07:50 PM.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:31 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
Hi Beerzoids,

I am sure you've done plenty of research before deciding to add this beta blocker to your therapy.
Hours and hours, days and days. The medical stuff can be difficult to read. Right now I've got six web pages open about Coreg. I'm trying to find out about interactions with my other medications, especially with Verapamil. Coreg makes for a very powerful and beneficial combination with an Ace Inhibitor and Digoxin, which I am on. But what happens when Verapamil is added to the mix? Could a conflict with the Verapamil be causing the rise in blood pressure? Does the rise in blood pressure mean that the Coreg is helping to improve my heart failure, and Atrial Fibrillation, or making it progressively worse?!

Quote:
I would have done the same. My book about cardiovascular pharmacotherapeutics has some interesting information that might explain your rise in blood pressure upon initiating the beta blocker therapy.
Well......... thanks very much for your efforts!

Quote:
Apparently, non-selective beta blockers can cause peripheral resistance to rise by leaving alpha stimulatory mechanism unopposed. They say that one should ask if there's a clinical correlation between the beta blocking effect on the plasma renin activity and the lowering of blood pressure.

Quote:
High renin patients do not respond to beta blockers and may even show a RISE in blood pressure.
Thanks for this find and the other interesting, albeit complex info. I'm doing a little research on this, and am finding conflicting articles. The important thing, though, is "high-renin"/"low-renin" gives me something to study, that I would not have studied prior to your post.

Quote:
The beta blocker I take, Bisoprolol, is also approved for use in heart failure. Spironolactone, an aldosterone antagonist, is supposed to be helpful in treating CHF. I take 5mg of Bisoprolol, which is not a very high dose. It does not interfere with my breathing at this dose the way the non-selective beta blockers do.
How often do you have problems breathing?

I can just about cope, pretty good, with any symptom except for breathing difficulties. My breathing difficulties have greatly improved, but I still get, what I call, "Labored Breathing". Normal breathing is when it doesn't take any effort to breath, and I don't notice my breathing. "Labored Breathing" is when I am conscious of my breathing, and it takes a little effort to breath. Not much effort, but just enough to make it annoying.

I lift two ten pound hand weights several times a day, 30 lifts and 30 curls. If I do the lifts too soon after eating, or when my heart is not beating well, I'll get the "Labored Breathing", and it can last for many hours. Since I am also Asthmatic, the "Labored Breathing" also happens at other times, for other reasons. I hate it, when it happens!

Quote:
I wouldn't know what (if any) side effects I might be experiencing from this drug because of the other drugs I also take.
What drugs are you on? What time of day do you take them?

Quote:
Probably shortness of breath if I exert myself too much - which I try very hard not to do.
Do you get shortness of breath everytime you exert yourself? How about when you lie down? Do you notice symptoms worse at night?

Are you aware of your heartbeat? Would you say that it is normally strong and steady? How often do you feel your heart jump around or race?

Do you have a stethoscope, so that you can listen to your heart?

Quote:
I wish you the best of luck with Carvedilol - it seems like a perfect drug with very impressive results in the trials. I hope your blood pressure levels off and eventually gets back to normal.

flowergirl
Thanks!

I am starting Day 6 of Coreg. Coreg is supposed to allow for more physical activity by keeping the heart rhythm/rate in check, but, if anything, I am having more difficulties when lifting weights. I'm hoping for an improvement as I get closer to the crucial 7-14 day window.

Thanks again for taking your time, in order to do research about Coreg for me. It reflects on your good heart. Compassion towards others is what separates humans from beasts, and too many of the two legged lack compassion.

Flowergirl, have a great weekend!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 03-29-2008, 10:55 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Coreg makes for a very powerful and beneficial combination with an Ace Inhibitor and Digoxin, which I am on. But what happens when Verapamil is added to the mix? Could a conflict with the Verapamil be causing the rise in blood pressure? Does the rise in blood pressure mean that the Coreg is helping to improve my heart failure, and Atrial Fibrillation, or making it progressively worse?!
I have been researching similar issues. As you pointed out previously, medications affect us in different ways because no two people have identical physiology, geneological traits and a degree of health problems.

Quote:
Well......... thanks very much for your efforts
Beerzoids, I had been READING about these issues just before seeing and replying to your post...so no effort whatsoever on my part! I have several books about hypertension and related cardiological and renal issues on the coffee table. I just pick one and read a bit whenever I have a few minutes and feel alert enough to read that kind of stuff. A chapter or a paragraph at a time. I have learned a lot. It is time consuming.

Quote:
How often do you have problems breathing?
I feel very lucky I can get through my days without any problems as long as I don't overexert myself. If my breathing starts being labored, I slow down or stop. I brought some groceries in yesterday and measured how many times I could go up & down the steps and outside to the car in the driveway (a very short distance -15 or 20 feet) before becoming breathless. I walked up about 2 1/2 times and that includes carrying the shopping bags. When my breathing difficulties were at their worst, I couldn't make it even once all the way up - 14 steps- without stopping, carrying nothing. My breathing difficulties have greatly improved also. I will have to research the terms you mention, labored breathing as opposed to normal breathing. I breathe loudly somehow. I wish I could not hear myself and hope that others can't hear me!

Quote:
If I do the lifts too soon after eating, or when my heart is not beating well, I'll get the "Labored Breathing", and it can last for many hours. Since I am also Asthmatic, the "Labored Breathing" also happens at other times, for other reasons.
I don't do anything requiring exertion right after eating because it interferes with my stomach and sometimes breathing. I used to go for walks right after dinner and would have to stop shortly after leaving home because I couldn't breathe and was getting pains in the chest and lungs. Being as determined as I was then, I'd stop, rest, go, stop, rest, go as needed during my walks. I like to put myself to a test. I took the "Summit" trail the other evening to see how I'd make out and had to hurry to make it out of the woods before it got dark. Sure enough, I had to stop frequently to catch my breath. The terrain is steep.

Quote:
What drugs are you on? What time of day do you take them?
I take most of them in the morning. A CCB, beta blocker, ACE inhibitor, Spironolactone, Hctz, Lipitor, Aspirin, Nexium, Atrovent, Tylenol 3 and my supplements. I stopped taking the asthma meds last year. Did you have asthma before the CHF, I wonder? How could your doctor determine which problems arose from asthma and which from your HF? How can one tell the difference? The symptoms are so similar! When I had my pulmonary function tests, I asked whether the results were consistent with asthma or CHF. The tech thought asthma but could not be sure. That's what went into her report -that other causes could not be ruled out. My doctor thought it possible but not likely. Another doctor wouldn't say.

Quote:
Do you get shortness of breath everytime you exert yourself? How about when you lie down? Do you notice symptoms worse at night? Are you aware of your heartbeat? Would you say that it is normally strong and steady? How often do you feel your heart jump around or race? Do you have a stethoscope, so that you can listen to your heart?
Beta blockers used to be contraindicated in both asthma and CHF. They still are in ashtma. Is it possible that they might have played a role in the breathing problems? I was on 800mg of an alpha/beta blocker previously. After I stopped taking this medication (with great difficulty), I got a little better. To my dismay, my breathing problems returned. Started improving again several months later. I am currently on 5mg Bisoprolol.
I had all of the symptoms you mentioned last year. I'd get short of breath just sitting down doing nothing, when eating and talking, lying down. Not now, thank goodness. I don't get breathless at night but have to sleep elevated for other reasons.
I am aware of my heartbeat when I am experiencing pain, tightness/pressure, or irregular heartbeat. I have had heart murmur since I was little. I think the valves are fine and don't leak. I get irregularities every day, sometimes several times a day. Lastly, I would consider my heartbeat steady some of the time. I guess it must be strong - I don't know how to tell. Purchasing a stethoscope is something I have not yet considered.

take care, Beerzoids.
flowergirl

Old 04-02-2008, 03:43 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
As you pointed out previously, medications affect us in different ways because no two people have identical physiology, geneological traits and a degree of health problems.
Plus... everyone has differences in lifestyles, environment and diets. The combinations of differences are endless.

Quote:
My breathing difficulties have greatly improved also.
You must be doing something right. I'm happy for you. I can just about put up with any of the nasty symptoms of my diseases, but labored or difficult breathing drives me nuts! I hate it! Chest pains? Who cares! Rapid heartbeat? Who cares! Weak heartbeat? Who cares! Hard, thumping heartbeat? Who cares! Fatigue? Who cares! But... breathing difficulties drive me over the wall!

Quote:
I will have to research the terms you mention, labored breathing as opposed to normal breathing.
I'll be interested in any goodies that you find!

Quote:
I breathe loudly somehow. I wish I could not hear myself and hope that others can't hear me!
What kind of noise? Raspy? Wheezing?

Quote:
I don't do anything requiring exertion right after eating because it interferes with my stomach and sometimes breathing. I used to go for walks right after dinner and would have to stop shortly after leaving home because I couldn't breathe and was getting pains in the chest and lungs. Being as determined as I was then, I'd stop, rest, go, stop, rest, go as needed during my walks. I like to put myself to a test. I took the "Summit" trail the other evening to see how I'd make out and had to hurry to make it out of the woods before it got dark. Sure enough, I had to stop frequently to catch my breath. The terrain is steep.
I am not a doctor, but your breathing problems are worrisome. Do you feel that your breathing problems are because you are out of shape? Are you overweight (if you don't mind me asking)? I associate breathing problems with heart problems, especially if they can't be associated with asthma.

Quote:
I take most of them in the morning. A CCB, beta blocker, ACE inhibitor, Spironolactone, Hctz, Lipitor, Aspirin, Nexium, Atrovent, Tylenol 3 and my supplements.
Wow! That's a lot of medication!

For one thing, if I was you, I would separate the CCB and the Spironolactone by at least three hours! Both of them work on the heart's calcium channel, and I would not be surprised if you weren't having some type of drug interaction between those two drugs.

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 04-06-2008 at 02:11 AM.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Beerzoids,

thank you for your valuable insight.

There was a time I thought my breathing problems were a side effect of my beta blocker. After I stopped the 800mg of Labetalol, my breathing improved briefly for a couple of weeks and then returned to the way it had been while on that medication.

Quote:
What kind of noise? Raspy? Wheezing?
It's not a wheezing noise, more like a nasal breathing as I have to take deep breaths to fill the lungs. The noise is from me trying to take in as much air as I can. Sometimes (like right now) it hurts.

Quote:
Do you feel that your breathing problems are because you are out of shape? Are you overweight (if you don't mind me asking)? I associate breathing problems with heart problems, especially if they can't be associated with asthma.
My breathing problems are not due to being overweight. Prior to starting the therapy I was out of shape (exercise-wise), ate bad foods and breathed normally and quietly. I was in a very good shape several months later when my breathing problems started. Now I have a spare tire and can pinch not one, but two inches. One could certainly say I am overweight, though I look healthy. My stomach is the problem area. I want to lose some of that excess fat this spring and summer. My ex-doctor said walking should be enough.

I'd like to do more than just walk to improve my exercise tolerance. I wonder if my beta blocker is affecting it. Bisoprolol is supposed to enhance and improve exercise tolerance. This increase in exercise tolerance is said to be dose-related. In one study, the participants saw an improvement of 105% on 5mg, 122% on 10mg, 131% on 20mg of Bisoprolol. These numbers represent the final results, so in actual fact the increase in exercise tolerance was 5, 22 and 31%. I am on 5mg. I have a feeling there's going to be a change in my medications very soon.

Quote:
For one thing, if I was you, I would not only separate meds by an hour, I would separate the CCB and the Spironolactone by at least three hours! Both of them work on the heart's calcium channel, and I would not be surprised if you weren't having some type of drug interaction between those two drugs.
That is a great idea! I never thought of a connection between the CCB and Spiro and their combined effects on the heart. When I was on antibiotics recently, I found that I forgot to take them at work at the time I was supposed to. I forgot to take them, period. Practically every day. So remembering to take the Spiro later in the day would probably pose a problem. I'll give it some thought and try to find a solution. I could take the supplements and Spiro at night with my evening meds. (I hope my stomach would handle that OK in the evenings ) and see if my daytime BP control is adequate.

P.S. I know that Spiro alone doesn't lower blood pressure very much, hardly at all in lower doses. Do you think that Spironolactone, combined with my evening dose of the CCB and ACE, would reduce my blood pressure too much? It really scares me when that happens at bedtime.

Many thanks once again!
flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 04-02-2008 at 09:01 PM.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:08 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by needhealing777 View Post
I started taking propranolol for SVT and high blood pressure (borderline)..I have only noticed a couple number difference in both since starting it..<b>does it take awhile (days) to start working or should it work with the first pill?</b>
I am not on Propranolol, but on the Beta Blocker Coreg.

When I first started taking Coreg, it increased my Blood Pressure, so I stopped taking it for two weeks and my blood pressure, almost immediately, went back to normal. Then, I reconsidered, and started taking it again, at double the dose. Once again the Coreg increased my blood pressure.

It's still a little early to say for sure, but it seems to have taken 10 days before Coreg changed from increasing my blood pressure to lowering my blood pressure back to near where it was before I started taking it. For the first 10 days, my average blood pressure was 129/73 based on 59 readings. For the past 3 days, 124/73 based on 29 readings. I also feel better than I did before I started taking Coreg, including a significant improvement in my energy levels.

From what I've read, it takes 7-14 days to achieve maximum Coreg plasma levels, so it's reasonable that I would be benefiting from the Coreg after 10 days. I am hoping that the current trend towards stabilized Blood Pressure, and improved energy extends into the future.

I wasn't taking Coreg for blood pressure, I was taking it because it is supposed to be a significant aid in the treatment and improvement of Heart Failure. I have to admit that the higher blood pressure caused me some anxiety, since I was concerned that the Coreg, mixed with my CCB and my ACE and my Digoxin, might be causing more harm than good. The normalization of my blood pressure makes me fairly sure that the Coreg is a benefit in the treatment of my Heart Failure, Afib and Autoimmune problems.

Sometimes it pays to have a little patience.

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 04-05-2008 at 02:42 PM.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:55 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

How interesting!

What was your baseline blood pressure (before starting Coreg)?

It seems that others with the same issues experience an initial increase in blood pressure after adding this beta blocker to their therapy - which makes one wonder whether this is a NORMAL and expected reaction in those circumstances.

I wonder what blood pressure changes the use of a cardio-selective beta blocker would result in, and whether this type of a beta blocker might be contraindicated in HF? I wish I had the time to check this out. It will have to wait.

P.S. I am too curious now and will try to look into it tonight. I was asked to stop my beta blocker (Bisoprolol) two days prior to a cardio test I'll be having soon.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 04-05-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:48 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nebivolol, recently approved by the FDA for treating hypertension (Dec.17/07) is the most beta1 selective beta blocker. This usually means reduced side effects. Nebivolol also has nitric oxide vasodilating and antioxidant properties.

Carvedilol (Coreg) is a non-selective beta2 blocker. It causes vasodilation through alpha1 receptor blockade.

In hypertension, the most effective combination of these new generation beta blockers is with a diuretic and a CCB. They do not work nearly as well in reducing blood pressure when combined with ACE inhibitors or ARBs. Such combinations are sometimes used for other purposes. Nebivolol is approved and used for hypertension and heart failure in Europe. A lot of data is available. (SENIORS trial). European heart failure guidelines recommend carvedilol, bisoprolol, nebivolol and XR metoprolol for use in heart failure.

A small study was done with 160 hypertensive CHF patients (class II or III). In this study, both Nebivolol and Carvedilol were used with interesting results. An improvement in an ejection fraction of about 5% was seen at the end of a two year period in each group of people, using either of these two drugs. More studies are needed, but the fact remains that these beta blockers are an effective form of treatment in heart failure, regardless of their selectivity.

I'll look for the blood pressure connection tomorrow.

flowergirl

Old 04-06-2008, 06:13 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks, Flowergirl, for all of the research you did. Interesting stuff, huh?

Coreg is a delicious medication. I really love what it is doing to my energy and my feeling of well being.

I asked my cardiologist for a prescription for Coreg because I wanted something which would shut down my adrenals as much as possible, in order to better treat my combination of Heart Failure, Atrial Fibrillation and Autoimmune disease. It seems to be working much better than I expected.

I need to make a decision, stay at 6.25mgs, or try to increase the dosage another 3.125mg. My initial "end" target, based on clinical results, was 12.5mgs per day. Buts...... after fighting these nasty debilitating diseases for over two decades, perhaps I should quit while I am ahead?

The more I understand about Coreg (Carvididol), the more that I understand that it is truly a medical breakthrough, a marvelous invention of medical science.

If my "average" blood pressure stays down around 124/73 for the next few days, and I still feel like I am capable of climbing Mount Everest, I am wavering towards bumping up the dosage by 3.125mg!

Thanks, Flowergirl, for your efforts and research.

Take care!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Closed Thread