It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Red face Serious allergic reaction Lisinopril HCTZ or side effect???

Has anyone had an allergic reaction to Lisinopril HCTZ? I've been taking it for 2 12 weeks now; 10 mgs. in the am. This morning when I woke up, the top of my feet were red and itchy, but in the shape of the thongs I wore on Thursday. The back of my hands also have an itchy rash on them. I'm wondering if it's b/c I'm more sun sensitive now and was in the sun for a short period of time, or something more serious from the Lisinopril?? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. Sue

The Following User Says Thank You to sunshine123 For This Useful Post:
fredkerry (03-16-2012)
Old 03-22-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Re: Serious allergic reaction Lisinopril HCTZ or side effect???

Your Dr. needs to look at the rash. It could be from the sun. It could be from HCTZ also. Make sure you have some benedryl handy in case you get throat swelling. You should call the Dr. on call for your DR's practice. If the rash spreads to your neck or face/head, you need to go to the ER. I got a drug induced lupus reaction with swelling on the back of my hands, tops of my feet, & my ankles plus other symptoms Fam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Unhappy Re: Serious allergic reaction Lisinopril HCTZ or side effect???

Thanks famnd. The rash on my feet is gone, but is still there on my hands. I woke up every 2 hrs. last night from the itching. I've been taking Benadryl and using Cortisone cream. Our Drs. group doesn't have a Dr. on call. If there's an emergency, we just go to the ER. It's possible that I'm allergic to sulfa, although I used to take Bextra for arthritis and didn't have any side effects from it. I'll be calling the Dr. tomorrow.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I called my Dr. today and left a message for him about my rash. This afternoon, a different Drs. nurse called me back b/c my Dr. is out of the office this week. Anyway, the nurse thinks it's weird that the rash would just be on my hands if it's from the Lisinopril HCTZ. It does seem odd, but I don't know. I told her I was reading that the rash could be from the sun, even though I wasn't out in it for very long. Anyway, I'm seeing the Dr. she works for tomorrow. I hope he'll be able to tell me what's going on. I'm still taking oral Benadryl and using Cortisone cream for the itch. I didn't take the Lisinopril yesterday or today.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine123 View Post
...Anyway, the nurse thinks it's weird that the rash would just be on my hands if it's from the Lisinopril HCTZ. It does seem odd, but I don't know. I told her I was reading that the rash could be from the sun, even though I wasn't out in it for very long. ...
Sunshine, I suspect the reaction you are getting is due to the hctz (hydrochlorothiazide) and not the lisinopril. The hctz can make you more sun sensitive and if the rash is only on areas exposed to the sun (you did say you were wearing thongs so I'm assuming it's warm enough for you to wear those outside) and on your hands.

Do keep us posted as we all learn from these experiences...

Take care!

Bethsheba

Old 03-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks bethsheba. I'm in Ca. and it's been very warm here lately. I was in the sun for a short time, but I think the rash is from the sun too. It will be interesting to see what the Dr. thinks tomorrow. I hope he won't be as narrow minded as my own Dr. If this is a heat rash, how long do you think it will last and how would I get rid of it? Sue

Old 03-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Sunshine,

I'm not sure it's a "heat" rash as I would think a "heat" rash would be different from a rash due to photosensitivity.

A friend of mine had an allergic reaction rash due to hctz, and it took several months after she disco'd the hctz to get rid of the rash...but again, that rash was due to an allergic reaction and presented itself as a "butterfly" on her face. I doubt that your rash would take that long to clear up but thought I would let others know in case this happens to them.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-24-2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: spelling

The Following User Says Thank You to bethsheba For This Useful Post:
mari5195 (04-27-2012)
Old 03-24-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks bethsheba.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sunshine,
Just came across some info that says that it can take several weeks for a rash due to hctz and photosensitivity to go away...the dermatology docs treated it in the meantime.

Hope that helps...now I've got to get back to the article because it explained some of my own problems with hctz.

Bethsheba

Old 03-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

what problems have you been having with it? Hope you find useful info.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:06 AM   #11
(female)

jill60 HB User

I have been taking hctz for a couple of yrs now, Dr. had me taking for water retension. I only take it every so often when I feel bloated. 3 wks ago I laid in a suntan bed with new bulbs. I have always went to the suntan beds before but it must have been the brand new bulbs. I itched Everywhere, I scratched so hard I have bruises. I used the benadryl & cortizone cream like you. So thanks , due to your post I now know it had to be the brand new bulbs combined with the HCTZ!

Jill60

Old 03-25-2008, 02:53 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

I've had an allergic reaction to HCTZ but I didn't get a rash. I did get a sun related thick red rash from Inderal. It was only on the front & sides of my neck. It stayed there several days. My Dr. had me switch to Labetalol (an apha/beta blocker). The rash disappeared overnight after dropping Inderal & starting on Labetalol. Fam

Old 03-25-2008, 05:44 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine123 View Post
what problems have you been having with it? Hope you find useful info.
I think that except for an allergic reaction of facial/throat swelling, photosensitivity and rash, and the change in liver function, I had almost every side effect known to hctz but I was on this med for over a year before being changed to something else.

The info that I came across of interest was an explanation for the nausea and vomiting I experienced for 3 weeks while on hctz. Seems that facial and throat swelling is one sign of an allergic reaction but a similar reaction can occur in the abdominal area causing nausea and vomiting.

Bethsheba

Old 03-25-2008, 06:51 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I hate the side effects, allergic reactions these drugs can cause. I wish I came from a healthy family b/c I've inherited everything my parents have/had. I wish none of us needed this crap. Here's hoping that we find something that works for us with few side effects.

Closed Thread