It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
(female)

Kathy287 HB User
blood pressure up and won't come back down

I always had a normal blood pressure, around 115/75. Last year I was put on Seasonale to help my periods, they were horrible, they just wouldn't quit. After being on for about 3 months, I went to the doctors for a check up and my blood pressure was about 150/120. My GP got me off the Seasonale and I got a home blood pressure kit to check it. Well it didn't come down! He put me on Hydrochlorthiazide and it has come down some. It was down to about 120/90 but just recently it is up to about 125-130/95-105 and sometimes a little higher. I know this is high. My question is, what is the line when I should be worried and maybe even requesting a med for high blood pressure. The problem is, I am on pretty many meds, and I am very sensitive to medications. I usually get the side effect that 1/2 of 1% get. Should I start taking the baby aspirin? Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.
Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: blood pressure up and won't come back down

Do some reading about lifestyle changes....DASH diet, exercise, smoking, alcohol, getting enough sleep. Meds are not the answer, and I think you'll agree.

Bethsheba

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
(female)

Kathy287 HB User

Thanks for the advice. I looked up the DASH diet and I am trying it. Today is day 2 of it. I don't drink alcohol at all, I don't smoke at all, and I am on meds to help with sleep. I exercise most days. One question that I have about the DASH diet is this, I have so much gas. Does this go away after a short time or does anyone have advice about this? Thanks!
Kathy

Old 03-31-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy287 View Post
... One question that I have about the DASH diet is this, I have so much gas. Does this go away after a short time or does anyone have advice about this?...
According to my DASH book, a few people in the DASH study experienced gas and loose stools until they got used to the increased amounts of fruits and veggies in their diet. This was the only side effect. Hope that helps...

Oh, does your doctor know you are doing this? (People with kidney issues may have problems with the increased potassium). Are you monitoring daily? Pressures can really drop relatively fast so if you are DASHing and taking meds, it's possible to drop your pressures too low...monitoring is a must!

I think it's Grrrrrrreatttttt!!! that you're doing this. I knew about this food plan for 3 years, talked about it for a year and finally DID it. Best thing I could have done for my pressures (that and cpap)!

Good luck and good eating! Oh and there are some marvelously simple and delicious recipes out there...

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-31-2008 at 11:08 AM.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
(female)

Kathy287 HB User

I am monitoring daily, and so far nothing, but it is only the 2nd day. I mean I am not looking for a miracle! My meds are for epilepsy, fibromyalgia, allergies, reflux, and sleep/pain. I am having no problems with enjoying the food. I am actually having trouble eating that much! I did have bad gas this morning, but it did get better as the day went, so that has passed already. That is really the only thing I have noticed. I work at a bakery, so I made sure today that I took grapes with me to pick at so I wouldn't eat anything at the bakery. The grapes took care of my wanting something sweet without being bad. I will keep posting on my progress.
Kathy

Old 04-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #6
(female)

llama4u447 HB User

I had a reaction to being on birth control pills for years. After 3.5 years on desogen I was taken off it b/c my blood pressure went up. I was put on ortho micronor b/c its got no estrogen. Its been 5 weeks and after diet changes and the birth control change my blood pressure has lowered dramatically. It was 150/110 at the dr's office and today it was 125/75. My best advice to you would be to follow a diet that is mainly vegetarian with meat no more than once a day the correct serving sizes. Lots of veggies, nut butters, healthy oils, and beans. Watch out for hidden sodium like in cereal, yogurt, bread, etc. Switch to unrefined sea salt if you use salt. I'm not really watching my sodium but I watch what I eat. I still eat out once a week and still had good results. Its gonna take like 2 weeks to see any changes. Good luck.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:21 AM   #7
(female)

Kathy287 HB User

thanks llama, I ended up at the er Wed for chest pains and high blood pressure. They kept me for the night. I had nothing to eat or drink for over 24 hours and then they ran a stress test. When I went in, my blood pressure was 153/111 and when they released me 36 hours later it was 118/76. They told me it dropped so much because of being dehydrated. I haven't checked it yet this morning, my hospital stay kind of took a lot out of me, I just got up. They said I had non-cardiac chest pains, so goody goody, I get to go to the the DR. and see if they can find something else wrong. Oh well, enough boo hooing, I am strictly staying on the DASH diet, and am on the low sodium too. I never used salt to cook with and never add salt to my food. With this diet, I am using mostly fresh foods so I don't have to worry about sodium there. When do get canned tomatoes or something like that, I make sure to get the no salt added.
My husband and my parents really think alot of my high blood pressure is from stress. I can say that I do feel a lot of stress. Does anyone have any advise of stress relievers that have helped them. My main stress is my teenagers, especially the one. I also have a Grandmother who is in the hospital who is getting ready to be moved to a rehab and then back to a home. She is very mean to my Mom and I try, as much as possible, to be there with my Mom, so she isn't so mean. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks,
Kathy

Old 04-05-2008, 09:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
...I am using mostly fresh foods so I don't have to worry about sodium there.
Kathy,

Since DASHing, I have learned that eating fresh veggies doesn't necessarily mean eating low sodium. Most foods contain sodium, veggies included. Veggies that are relatively high in sodium (and as a result should be limited to 1/2 cup or less/day) are beets; beet greens; carrots; dandelion greens; kale; mustard greens; spinach; Swiss chard; white turnips; frozen peas; frozen lima beans; tomato juice, sauce, paste or puree. The sodium values range from 35 to 155 milligrams for one cup cooked of any above vegetable. Of the veggies, celery has about the highest sodium content of all (thus celery salt used in seasoning potato salad and other common dishes).

Kathy, I have gone through periods of my life when I've surpassed the values on the stress scale...multiple deaths, losses of family members, job changes, loss of multiple friends/coworkers (due to massive layoffs), illness, financial crisis, major relocations (all within a 1-2 year period) and never experienced high blood pressure. So for me personally, I don't think stress is a direct contributor to high blood pressure...however, I can see where stress could easily lead to poor sleep, poor diet, poor exercise, increased smoking, increased alcohol, decreased socialiability, all of which can lead to high blood pressure.

I suspect your sleep may be a significant contributor to elevated pressures because you mention taking medication to sleep.

Bethsheba

Old 04-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #9
(female)

Kathy287 HB User

Bethseba,
Yes, I do take something to help me sleep. It is not an actual sleeping medicine, it is a medication for pain, gabapentin. I have never slept well. I really thought that I had sleep apnea and had a sleep study done, but it showed that I didn't have apnea, I just never get into a deep restful sleep, the rem sleep. They said that is why I always feel tired. Working with this medicine is very new for me, just within about a month. I really just got tired of not sleeping. I am 40 and have never slept a whole night in my life. I am now sleeping better than before, but I am still waking up at least a few times each night. I have no trouble falling asleep, I never did, I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat. The problem is staying asleep. Pain wakes me up. I try to find a new position that isn't as painful to go back to sleep, maybe.
Seeing that my sleep is actually improving my blood pressure should be improving also. I don't drink, never did. I don't smoke, never did. My sociability hasn't chaged at all. My activity level has increased and I am now on the DASH diet, so I should be seeing some results soon I hope.
Kathy

Old 04-06-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
... Pain wakes me up. I try to find a new position that isn't as painful to go back to sleep, maybe.
Seeing that my sleep is actually improving my blood pressure should be improving also. I don't drink, never did. I don't smoke, never did. My sociability hasn't chaged at all. My activity level has increased and I am now on the DASH diet, so I should be seeing some results soon I hope.
Kathy
Kathy,

I want to apologize for being so brief and not very personal....things beyond my control are going on at this end, and my concentration is very poor.

It is understandable that pain would interfer with your sleep. Although I know what it can be like to go without the deeper stages of sleep, I can't imagine how you can function as well as you do given the length of time you have dealt with your condition. I respect your tenacity and your strength.

Just a last minute thought here...have you tried breathing exercises? One reason they think cpap treatment lowers blood pressure is because it raises the oxygen levels in the blood. When this happens, other blood gasses are elevated which is good because they help regulate blood pressure. Breathing exercises have been proven to lower blood pressure, I suspect, for the same reason. Perhaps the breathing would help with the pain, too, but I don't know.

Take care, Kathy. And thank you for being more than patient with me.

Bethsheba

PS If I recall correctly, the DASH diet lowered pressures for everyone. It's just that it lowered pressures for some people alot! +But even if it doesn't lower your pressures, it's good for your cardiovascular system, your digestive system, and your blood sugar .

Last edited by bethsheba; 04-06-2008 at 07:32 PM.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
If I recall correctly, the DASH diet lowered pressures for everyone. It's just that it lowered pressures for some people alot! But even if it doesn't lower your pressures, it's good for your cardiovascular system, your digestive system, and your blood sugar
I have to agree with Beth. This diet is a very healthy one. It was designed to incorporate foods from all of the major food groups, (the entire food pyramid)- with emphasis on fruits and vegetables, meaning plenty of potassium and other major elements necessary for good cardiovascular and overall health.

It's great that it also lowers the blood pressure, besides making it possible for people to lose weight - a good blood pressure reducing method in itself.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 04-06-2008 at 07:55 PM.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #12
(female)

Kathy287 HB User

thanks everyone, and as of one week on the DASH, drum roll please.... I lost 5 pounds and my pressure is down a little!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beth, I actually have just ordered a yoga video to try and do with my daughter. She is doing one now, but that one is too much for me, so I found an easier one that I could probably do. I am hoping that the stretching and relaxation of the yoga will do me some good. I am planning on doing it every day if possible. I am expecting the video any day now, I can't wait!!!
My daughter gave me a gift certificate for $50 at a spa, I am going to save it for a big milestone on my DASH.
I have a long way to go, I have a total of about 100 pounds to lose. I was talking seriously to my doctor about gastric bypass surgery because I had tried so many different diets and they didn't work, I just didn't lose weight, or if I did lose some, I would just get stuck and not be able to lose any more. The DASH diet makes sense to me, I can do this for the rest of my life. Wish me luck, I will keep updating, probably every Sunday.
Kathy

Old 04-06-2008, 09:04 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

I
Quote:
have a long way to go, I have a total of about 100 pounds to lose.
You know what they say - break the project (task) down into smaller, more achievable components.You can easily do it that way. That health spa gift certificate will be your reward for achieving one of your goals - no matter which one. I find that treating myself (even though there is a cost involved) helps.

Try to drink more water, and eat more veggies and fruits. You should soon start seeing some results even without the benefit of an additional exercise. Try to stay away from sweets- something I am still learning to do. I had several chocolate truffles today. No exercise to speak of.
I know you can do it! Every little bit helps. Every high-calorie food you choose not to eat helps.

Best of luck,
flowergirl

Old 04-07-2008, 05:01 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
.... I lost 5 pounds and my pressure is down a little!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beth, I actually have just ordered a yoga video to try and do with my daughter....I am hoping that the stretching and relaxation of the yoga will do me some good.....I have a long way to go, I have a total of about 100 pounds to lose.....The DASH diet makes sense to me, I can do this for the rest of my life....
Kathy,

That is absolutely fantastic, ! Doesn't 5 pounds make a big difference? And yes, the yoga will only help, and only you will know how much. Good for pain management, stress reduction, and proper breathing and I suspect almost immediate results, .

As for the weight, you only have 10 pounds to lose! But after you've lost that, you'll have 10 more pounds to lose. As FG said, break it into manageable/realistic goals. For me, the smallest sucesses reinforced my behavior and made the big successes possible.

Yes, the DASH meal plan is the way to go...but despite doing it for weeks I learn something new everyday. A couple of days ago, I bought what I thought was a lovely, very lean pork roast. It wasn't until I put a morsel to my mouth that I realized it was laden with salt....according to the wrapper, a saline injection was used to make it "tender". I never thought I would have to read the labels of "plain" meat products...arghhhhh!

We've had flooding here, and loss of power (thus computer crash). I don't have money to replace my computer and don't expect to be able to restart this one again so will sign off saying that I wish you and the others the very best!

And remember, you have the power and the ability to take control of your health!!

Blessings to all .

Bethsheba

Old 04-07-2008, 06:45 AM   #15
(female)

Kathy287 HB User

Sorry to hear that Beth can't be with us, if you get back on somehow, good luck! I have 100 pounds, not 10 to lose, I wish it were only 10!!!!
Flower, I am breaking it down into small goals. I know better than to tackle something so huge as trying to lose 100 pounds or bring my blood pressure down without having little goals. Any movement in the right direction makes me jump for joy. I am not weighing myself constantly, that would just drive me crazy with the up and down of retaining water. I'll keep you posted!
Kathy

Closed Thread