It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User
HI Diastolic - Medication Class

Hi All

I was wondering what is the best 'family' of HBP drugs to treat a consistently high lower (diastolic #)? By B/P is running about 135/94 on average.

Also, what conditions should one be tested for that could cause this?

I am 34 year old female caucasion female, 130 pounds, 5'3'', no smoking, eat very healthy - but I do not exercise. There is a family history of HBP, High Cholesterol, and Stroke on my father's side. Recent blood work came back really good and cholesterol levels are excellent.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I had to remain on a low dose of Toprol XL (25MG) while my Dr. is working through some other issues (Severe GERD) - I take Prevacid 30mg, Carafate, and Flovent 110 (2) puffs twice daily, and Toprol XL 25mg.

He wants to switch my HBP medicine soon and I want to make sure I educate myself first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you!

Vanessa

Old 05-27-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
(female)

Chantal231 HB User
Re: HI Diastolic - Medication Class

Hi Vanessa,

What is your heart rate?

My diastolic gets high when my tachycardia starts. Other than then it runs from 68-81.

I had to wean off the metoprolol and am now taking diltiazem.

Good luck.

Chantal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2008, 10:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Vanessa,

Your doctor has to consider your co-existing condition(s) and other factors when deciding what medication to prescribe.

Diastolic pressure reflects the lowest pressure to which our arteries are exposed. In younger people (such as yourself), the higher the diastolic, the greater the risk for adverse events. In people over fifty, systolic hypertension poses a much greater risk. In people over sixty, it is the pulse pressure - the difference between systolic and diastolic pressures- not the numbers themselves- that is very important. The higher the difference, the higher a chance of an adverse event. Generally, diastolic blood pressure decreases with age.

The elevations in diastolic pressure are thought to be caused by combined changes in our blood vessels and the heart. A desirable level of diastolic pressure is 75 mmHg. Readings above this level are associated with an increase in adverse events. EVERY 10mmHg increase in diastolic blood pressure over 75mmHg doubles the chances of adverse events.
Interestingly, for systolic blood pressure the incidence of adverse events such as a heart attack, stroke or kidney failure doubles with every 20mmHg increase.

The drugs that are recommended to treat diastolic hypertension in some people (depending on co-existing conditions etc.) are ACE inhibitors and calcium channel blockers. The diuretics and non-selective beta blockers would not be first choices in therapy.

I hope you can bring that diastolic down. Good to hear your labs are OK!!!

flowergirl

Old 05-28-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thank you SO MUCH for the information - he was suggesting a CCB but was concerned with how severe my GERD is currently - perhaps an ACE Inhibitor would be the best place to start.

Thank you again - have a great day!

Vanessa

Old 05-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Vanessa,

From my history with b/p meds, I would try Lebetalol. I found it gave me the least problems with acid reflux & stomach issues. Also, it has not caused a problem with my cholesterol.

Lebetalol dropped my diastolic almost right away. It took longer to decrease my systolic. So I had to go on HCTZ for that. You wouldn't probably have to take very much.

My readings about diastolic pressure differ from FG. The most recent info was from one of the those conferences (HBP). It said that diastolic it probably is safer to have the diastolic higher even up to 85. That used to be the rule about 10yrs ago.

Also, it is my understanding that diastolic b/p usually increases with age. I guess it depends what one reads.

I was wondering why you don't exercise? As you know exercise is supposed to lower b/p. And it has the plus of making you feel so great!!! Good luck & hope you get to the end of this b/p journey soon. Fam

Old 05-31-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thank you Fam,

I go back next week and will mention Lebetalol to him !

I could give a million reasons why I don't exercise - truth being I am exhausted when I get home from work. BUT I KNOW that I should -- I get up at 5:30am - I have (2) active boys (9 & 13) and a full-time 45 hr/week job and a husband that helps with NOTHING. So when I get home its cook, clean, help with homework,etc. By the time things settle down its 9pm and I am WHOOPED

I DO so want to start and since the weather is finally warming up here I am going to try to start taking a walk on my lunch hour. I figure it will do my body and MY HEAD some good and will break up the day nicely too. I am hoping it will help with the HBP and also give me some much needed energy!!!

Thanks for the information! Have a great weekend!!

Closed Thread