It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
(male)

chile2 HB User
bananas and blood pressure.

After eating 2 bananas a day for 2 months my blood pressure reading went from 140/95 to 122/78. No other change in diet or exercise habits. Seems like an easy cure(at least for some people)

Old 06-05-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
Re: bananas and blood pressure.

Maybe the Potassium in the bananas was the reason, But this wouldn't happen for many people. I hope that this is your way to reduce your blood pressure, fruit.
Good luck,
Michael

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I wish I liked bananas, but I can't stand the sight or taste of them. lol.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Thanks for posting that info. I have a latex allergy so I can no longer eat bananas. It seems bananas are in the same botanical family as latex. But if I could eat them & they lower my b/p, I would eat them whether or not I liked them. Sure would beat these nasty tasting meds which have bad long term side effects. Fam

Old 06-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

How interesting! I didn't know that. It makes sense because latex (rubber?) comes from a plant.

I wonder if chili's diet includes a lot of fruits and veggies (besides the bananas)??? A reduction in blood pressure of such magnitude (18/17mmHg) equals or exceeds a reduction achieved with one bp medication.

I am curious about the estimated TOTAL daily potassium intake. How much dietary potassium from all sources does it take each day to obtain and maintain such a substantial reduction in blood pressure?

FG

Old 06-08-2008, 03:34 AM   #6
(male)

loggan46 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chile2 View Post
After eating 2 bananas a day for 2 months my blood pressure reading went from 140/95 to 122/78. No other change in diet or exercise habits. Seems like an easy cure(at least for some people)
Hello all, new today, have had as good as above results, have kind of experimented on myself since I got the home bp, monitor, my normal readings were 140+ / 100+ some of my observations : after 3 bananas a day for a week, 125 / 85, at this point searched the net, as mentioned potasssium, got as good readings ditching the bananas and eating 1 whole avacado a day, sticking to either of the above, and doing 15mins fast walking 6 mph on treadmill each day 120/75 the meds are in the bin ( doctors orders)
don t want to ruffle to many feathers on my first post but, how much money do the drug co. make of bp medication??

pp I was on the meds when started this regime but since ditching them no change in bp, Alan

Old 06-08-2008, 07:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

loggan,

how nice you've been able to control your blood pressure through diet and exercise! Congratulations!

Quote:
how much money do the drug co. make of bp medication??
I think we all know the answer to that. Their profits are going to shrink considerably in the near future. I just read an article about the financial crisis the pharmaceutical giants will soon find themselves facing due to so many of their drugs going off patent over the next four years. The main reason for this is their reliance on single product sales and lack of innovation. Fewer new drugs will be introduced during this period - not enough to offset the losses from patent expirations.

What happens when you get tired of eating bananas and avocados?
Just kidding. Keep up the good work!

FG

Old 06-09-2008, 09:01 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Chili,

Since I can'try the banana cure, I looked up the nutritional content of bananas & avacodas.

One whole banana has 109 calories, 467mg potassium,

while a florida avacodo has 306 calories for a 304 gm avacodo. It has 1096mg of potassium versus a California avocado which has 1483mg. Plus 30gm of fat most of it the good kind (only 4.5gm is satuated.)

After your b/p has been running well for a few weeks are you going to try doing nothing to see what happens?

What else do you eat-maybe we can do a rough estimate of your normal potassium intake. Fam

Old 06-09-2008, 09:08 AM   #9
(male)

chile2 HB User

Hi. I work at home so I received your post via an email alert. As I wrote I did not change any dietary or exercise habits. I am 60 years old and I have found that I have to be careful what I eat or I will gain weight. So for breakfast and lunch I drink a protein drink(even slimfast) and eat one banana. At night I eat 3 of the prepared frozen foods dinners. Such as healthy choice etc. I do loosen up on the weekends but I still consume the 2 bananas. Hope that helps.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

So it would be safe to say that you don't get much dietary potassium besides the amount in the bananas and your health drinks. The amounts - as broken down by Fam - are obviously enough to lower your blood pressure considerably. Perhaps you'd get similar results (without any notable effect on your weight) by adding a few fruits/veggies to your rather bland (sorry ) diet?

flowergirl

Old 06-10-2008, 06:01 AM   #11
(male)

chile2 HB User

I agree with you that this type of diet is bland. I eat pretty much what I want on weekends. Including cheeseburgers, french fries etc. I have found by much experimentation that this 5 day a week diet works for me.

Closed Thread