It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 11:27 PM   #1
(male)

stephenA HB User
25 year old with High BP but Remarkable Heart Rate. Please read.

Hi.

I am a married 25 year old male with High Blood Pressure. For the past year every time I have gone to the Dr for random reasons and I get my bp taken, they always look at me and go "hmmm, thats actually kind of high". Im always right at 140/90 but recently have been going up. The strange thing is, is that every single time they look at me and say "strange, you have high blood pressure but a heart rate of an athlete. " My heart rate is around 50 sometimes even less, and my BP ranges from 140/90 to 160/100. 2 days ago I purchased a digital omron pb device and almost every time i have taken my bp, its is actually disturbingly high. The average is nearing stage 2 hypertension. I make sure to take it when Im resting too. I am a very fit person. Not overweight in the slightest, dont smoke and i work out every day when Im home. I do however have a very stressful but extremely exciting job of being a recording artist who tours the world 10 months out of the year.

Can anyone give me any kind of insight on why i would have considerably high BP but such an abnormally great heart rate? Im really concerned too because Ive seen a cardiologist last year because I have a considerable amount of PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) and every dr has offered me the meds but seems very hesitant at the same time. They feel conflicted because I am a fit 25 year old, and most people think like i look maybe 20, and I can tell the discomfort it brings them to think that me a 25 year old would be starting on a medication that I will have to take for the rest of my life. My general prac dr also told me sometimes he doesnt believe that taking bp meds is always great because by reducing the bp, the drug is also "stopping natural things" that can be necessary so its not as healthy as it sounds.

Im pretty conflicted right now. Really, really not wanting to believe I might have to start taking heart meds. But it is obvious at this point that i do have high bp. My big question is why do drs look at me baffled when my heart rate is 47-50.

Thanks so much for reading this.
Stephen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2008, 11:53 PM   #2
(male)

GodChaser777 HB User
Re: 25 year old with High BP but Remarkable Heart Rate. Please read.

Hey there, Ive known a couple very fit people (in the military) that have been on High Blood meds since 20-22, sometimes no matter how healthy we eat and how much exercise we do we cant beat the HBP because its well in our genes. Im 27 years old and I have trouble with my BP and I find myself to be in pretty decent shape. Id say your best bet would be to make a log of your BP take it to your doc a.s.a.p and get on some med's, you dont want to harm your body.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Hi Stephen,

I'm Michael, from Egypt, and I have been on medications for High BP since I was about 16 or so, now I'm 26. Had I didn't started it I would be a heart patient right now, it's very important to know that everyday you spend without treating your High BP you ge closer to heart problems.

Anyway, before you start medications you have to do every other thing to control it. For me I have to take medications because it's in my genetics, my parents and some members of my family have High BP. And believe me many people are driving a very normal life with High BP medications, but you have to find a drug class that causes no side effects or very little.

About your heart rate I can't help you so you need to make sure that your heart is healthy 100%, because if you want to reduce your blood pressure you need to exercise like 4 times per week. Cardio exercises are really great for High BP, but yout need to make sure that your heart can endure that type of exercise.

Also the key for reducing your High BP could be salt and Caffeine, you need to gradually reduce salt to less than 500 mg per day. Wean off Caffeine gradually and wait 1 month and see if this would help. Many people can restore a normal BP range with excluding both salt and Caffeine from their diet.
Good luck,
Michael

Old 06-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User

Has thyroid and blood sugar been tested? The only reference I could really find to similar problems was in people with undiagnosed or under medicated thyroid issues - so make sure that's thoroughly checked.

Other things to check would be to make sure there's nothing wrong with your arteries themselves - make sure your doctor checks for things that wouldn't necessarily be lifestyle caused.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenA View Post
My heart rate is around 50 sometimes even less, and my BP ranges from 140/90 to 160/100. 2 days ago I purchased a digital omron pb device and almost every time i have taken my bp, its is actually disturbingly high.
The first thing that I would want to rule out is Insulin Resistance, or pre-diabetes. This is an easy one to check. Go on a low carb, low sugar, reasonable-serving-size, low-glycemic diet for a few days and check the impact it has on your blood pressure.

Quote:
Not overweight in the slightest, dont smoke and i work out every day when Im home.
The important issue is not the weight, but how well your body handles carbs. You can be very skinny and still suffer from high blood pressure, heart rhythm problems, fatigue, etc., all due to a diet too high on the glycemic index.

Quote:
I do however have a very stressful but extremely exciting job of being a recording artist who tours the world 10 months out of the year.

I'm pretty conflicted right now. Really, really not wanting to believe I might have to start taking heart meds. But it is obvious at this point that i do have high bp.
Most high blood pressure medications come with side effects. They can put you in a fog, sap your energy, make you tired, etc., all things that could significantly effect your creativity and your career.

On the other hand, high blood pressure, over time, can significantly damage your health and also significantly effect your creativity and your career.

So...... if you can bring your blood pressure down to acceptable levels, naturally, it would be much better for you. If not, you would need to find a mediation with minimal side effects.

If you do decide to modify your diet, try foods with a low glycemic index and a low glycemic load. After a few days, if there is absolutely no lowering effect on your blood pressure, ditch the diet. During the diet, take your blood pressure three times each day, once in the morning, once in the afternoon and once in the evening, if you can.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 06-07-2008 at 02:19 PM.

Closed Thread