It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
(female)

Marilyn123 HB User
Mid afternoon rise in blood pressure

I'm 70 years and have just had a TIA and my GP has me on Diovan 160mg daily and just started Norvasc 2.5mg daily. My BP is fairly constant around 130/65 but rises each day between the hours of 2pm and 5pm where it goes to 165/70 my pulse hardly varies and stays around 65. During that period I have nothing to eat or drink and am sitting watching tv just relaxing. I cannot figure nor can my GP as to what is causing the afternoon rise. Any help is appreciated---thanks Marilyn

Old 06-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
(female)

Edelweiss HB User
Re: Mid afternoon rise in blood pressure

My blood pressure, until very recently, always rose during the late afternoon into evening. Because of this, I began dividing one of my meds in half and taking the second half around 4 or 5 PM. That seemed to do the trick for me at the time.

BP isn't really constant and has it's fluctuations throughout the day without apparent cause. I wouldn't be too concerned, but you might want to consider splitting one of your meds. And gosh, your pulse rate is really good.... wish mine were that low!

Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
(female)

Marilyn123 HB User

Thanks for the reply I'll give it a try------Marilyn

Old 06-14-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
(female)

londonlin HB User

Mine rises also not daily and at various times morning, afternoon and evening. I tried the splitting of meds but it did not help. Since I am newly diagnosed and only been on meds for 4 weeks the drs said it is not unusual for this to happen until my bp gets adjusted and it takes 6 or so weeks on medicine. When mine goes up it just very high very quickly and I have to take clonidine to bring it down if it gets to 150/90 or above. The clonidine however, really makes me feel awful even thought it brings down the pb. My body just does not like this medicine for some reason. Have you been on medicine for bp a long time?

Old 06-14-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I've taken my blood pressure around 25,000 times over the past ten years, and keep the readings in a database. I do reports and charts by time of day, by week, by month, by year, and take many other looks at my own blood pressure patterns.

When I first started checking my blood pressure, at home, I was shocked. At the doctor's office my blood pressure readings showed that my blood pressure was well controlled by my medication. I had no idea that I suffered from significantly high, chronic blood pressure, despite the medication that I was taking.

I've found out since that, my blood pressure is low at the doctor's office because it is in the morning, when blood pressure is normally at it's lowest, and it was soon after I took my blood pressure medication, which is also when blood pressure is lowest.

I found out that my blood pressure was at unsafe and unhealthy levels for most of the day, day after day, month after month, except for the early part of most days. No matter what medications, or how many medications, my doctor experimented on me, my blood pressure could not get under control.

I never thought that I would have to work so hard, and do so much research, and make so many changes to my lifestyle, environment, medications and diet. Some of the changes that I tried backfired on me and made things worse. But, ultimately, I finally succeeded in having a healthy blood pressure 24 hours per day, day after day, month after month year after year, resulting in a significant improvement in my heart failure and health.

Basically, what I have found was that- when my blood pressure levels were at unhealthy levels, or as they are now, nice and low all day long, and regardless of medications, my blood pressure has always been the lowest in the morning, on average, and gradually increasing all day long. The only exception was that, when my blood pressure was chronically high, and my health was deteriorating, my blood pressure would go up even higher during the late evening, whereas now my blood pressure drops a little during the late evening.

Regardless, there are many, MANY things, that I've found, that can trigger either higher blood pressure and erratic heart rhythms, so there are many exceptions to the normal rule of lower blood pressure in the early daytime, increasing throughout the rest of the day.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 06-14-2008 at 10:42 AM.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Thank you for your comments and for giving us some perspective. For some people the blood pressure is almost IMPOSSIBLE to figure out.

How big a part (if any) has your physician played in helping you reach a healthy blood pressure level? Given your erratic office blood pressure readings, what criteria has your doctor used to assess the effectiveness of your antihypertensive therapy over the years and the consistency of your blood pressure control? Did you have to do everything yourself?

FG

Old 06-15-2008, 03:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
For some people the blood pressure is almost IMPOSSIBLE to figure out.
Very true. It took me about ten frustrating years before I finally and slowly learned how to keep mine at healthy levels 24 hours each day.

Quote:
How big a part (if any) has your physician played in helping you reach a healthy blood pressure level?
My doc was great. When I was first experimenting with my meds, I would go into his office and say that I had doubled my dose of "xyz", so he would write out an rx for it. Then I found out that I was wrong about "xyz" and I tried doubling some other med, and got a new rx. I went round and round in circles, and uncomfortable or nasty side effects or interactions of the medications. After a few years, I learned that Verapamil, a CCB, was my most effective blood pressure medication, but my blood pressure was still much too high. My doc, though, played a huge role by allowing me to try different medications, including my current and only bp medication, 3.125mg Coreg, once per day.

Quote:
Given your erratic office blood pressure readings, what criteria has your doctor used to assess the effectiveness of your antihypertensive therapy over the years and the consistency of your blood pressure control?
I don't know. He has never known exactly what meds, or dosages, that I take. Even today, he thinks that I am on six different blood pressure medications, but I only take the 3.125mgs of Coreg. He is a caring, well meaning doctor, who I really like. I am hoping that we both can grow old together.

Quote:
Did you have to do everything yourself?

FG
I've had heart disease, plus other health problems, for about 40 years. I've suffered from heart failure and atrial fibrillation for at least 20 years. As I reached my 60's, my health and heart failure continued to get worse. That's when I decided that I couldn't just let things continue as they were. I started analyzing my blood pressure and found out that my blood pressure, while reasonable most mornings, was much too high most of the rest of the day and night. After 10 years, and 25,000 bp readings, the blood pressure is at healthy levels all day and night long, and my heart failure and health is much improved.

A few months ago, I started evaluating my blood sugar levels, one hour postprandial (after eating), two hours postprandial and my morning fasting blood sugar. Using the readings, I have made major adjustments to my diet, mostly based on the Glycemic Index. The only problem is that, taking one's blood sugar levels is a little more uncomfortable than taking one's blood pressure.

Quote:
For some people the blood pressure is almost IMPOSSIBLE to figure out.
While diet and exercise, alone, won't cure high blood pressure, and it's associative health problems, people with all kinds of health problems can greatly improve their health through diet and exercise. I don't think that most people believe that just diet and exercise can make such a huge improvement to their health.

Diet and exercise can get most cases of blood pressure down to healthier levels. The addition of effective medication(s), and the avoidance of triggers which cause higher blood pressure, would win the rest of the battle.

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 06-15-2008 at 03:17 PM.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Thank you for sharing your insights and experiences on this topic.

Most of us give too much credit to our doctors for the success of a particular drug therapy. Likewise, we tend to blame the doctor if a drug regimen fails to achieve therapeutic goals.
That isn't right. There are too many aspects of blood pressure management that our doctors have no control over. Genealogy, our physical characteristics, health status and co-existing conditions, risk factors, compliance, diets, physical activity, stress and anxiety levels, and mental health are just some of them. While it is our doctors' job to find an effective pharmacological treatment, we must do our part by educating ourselves about the condition(s) and adopting some lifestyle changes.

As you have learned through trial and error, the right diet, exercise and ATTITUDE are vital to success. Though the DASH diet comes highly recommended, it's not suitable for everyone. Because our needs vary according to our health status and dietary restrictions, it might take a while to find what works best.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 06-16-2008 at 09:10 AM.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
There are too many aspects of blood pressure management that our doctors have no control over. Genealogy, our physical characteristics, health status and co-existing conditions, risk factors, compliance, diets, physical activity, stress and anxiety levels, and mental health are just some of them.
I totally agree with you!

When all of the many higher blood pressure "triggers" are considered, the complexity of the combinations and effects of "triggers" are endless and confusing. It took me many years for me to learn my triggers of higher blood pressure, how are doctors ever going to match their treatment with our varied lifestyles, diet, environment and triggers?!

That is why I constantly push diet, and exercise, and being pro-active about the medications that we take, and taking blood pressure multiple times per day. Those are things that we can do for ourselves, and not have to depend totally upon a doctor who really isn't going to spend the significant time required to effectively analyze our unique and particular health situation.

I've now also started taking my blood sugar more often, especially one hour postprandial, two hours postprandial and my Fasting Blood Sugar. It's a great way to measure the effectiveness and healthiness of diet change. Everyone with high blood pressure should have their blood sugar examined, to determine if a diabetic condition, or a pre-diabetic condition is causing higher blood pressure.

Quote:
While it is our doctors' job to find an effective pharmacological treatment, we must do our part by educating ourselves about the condition(s) and adopting some lifestyle changes.
Once again, I agree. Our doctors prescribe blood pressure medications based on clinical trial studies, and pharmaceutical company marketers and salesmen. But...... even the best blood pressure medications only lower blood pressure a few points. Someone who has chronically high blood pressure MUST be more proactive in their care. Meds alone aren't going to do it.

Quote:
As you have learned through trial and error, the right diet, exercise and ATTITUDE are vital to success.
My attitude changed when I felt that my health was deteriorating quickly and that I was facing a dark, sickly future, ending with my premature death.

Quote:
Though the DASH diet comes highly recommended, it's not suitable for everyone. Because our needs vary according to our health status and dietary restrictions, it might take a while to find what works best.

flowergirl
I've recently significantly changed my diet, eating ONLY foods low on the Glycemic Index. It is MAGICAL! I love it! Fruits, veggies and seafood, all low on the Glycemic Index.

Thanks for your response, Flowergirl. Hope everything is going very well for you!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 06-16-2008 at 03:41 PM.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:25 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hi Machaon,

Triggers for HBP can come from many sources. When I developed HBP, I did a clean sweep of my stressors. I told my family that I am not going to take extra meds just so I can get into a heated discussion of politics etc. In non-hypertensives, the body can quickly decrease the b/p but mine can no longer do that. I took my b/p in all different situations so that I have a general idea when my b/p zooms. Now if I could only lose weight, then I might be able to cut some meds. Fam

Old 06-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am doing fine, thank you. I did some shopping for the garden today (again!) and had a great day.
I have just measured my blood pressure and decided to take some meds tonight. But which ones? (There seemed little need for any this morning with blood pressure 112/71 and 119/77 on awakening). I can't take all of them - it's not that high (133/84 and 129/82). I was going to take one of the diuretics. This would have helped with the edema but done nothing for my heart rate. That, of course, goes right up without the meds.
Because I figure I can live with chunky legs , I have settled for the beta blocker and a 1/2 dose of my CCB. I know I should be taking the meds consistently, but this is the best I can do for now. My new physician (IF indeed I have one!?) will have to review my drug regimen and make some adjustments. That could prove to be interesting.

What little I've read so far about the glycemic index diet is exciting!!! I didn't know that the spikes in blood sugar, caused by high GI foods, eventually lead to a loss of sensitivity to insulin. Insulin resistance is associated with high blood pressure. As simple as that. Thanks for pointing me in that direction! Because it is so heart friendly, the low GI diet helps with the circulation and blood pressure. I know I have to watch the glucose so such a diet would be good for me. Of course, I'll do a lot of reading and check with a doctor first.

FG

Old 06-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
Hi Machaon,

Triggers for HBP can come from many sources.
Hi Fam!

I agree. Anything that can stimulate an immune system reaction, or over-reaction, can cause higher blood pressure, heart rhythm irregularities and a host of other health problems.

Quote:
When I developed HBP, I did a clean sweep of my stressors. I told my family that I am not going to take extra meds just so I can get into a heated discussion of politics etc.
I think that there will be many heated political discussions this year. Get out the blood pressure gauges!

Quote:
In non-hypertensives, the body can quickly decrease the b/p but mine can no longer do that. I took my b/p in all different situations so that I have a general idea when my b/p zooms. Now if I could only lose weight, then I might be able to cut some meds. Fam
Diet and exercise are the two best medicines. They don't require an expensive prescription. They don't require a doctor's appointment. They don't usually have nasty side effects (except on my knees! ). But, most people, like myself, either don't believe the wonderful medicinal effects of both good diet and exercise, or just plain refuse.

In my case, I suffered from heart failure, high blood sugar (pre-diabetes), breathing problems, fatigue, and several other nasty symptoms, and I still ate badly and drank my beer and only exercised my fingers at my keyboard. I refused to diet, or exercise, until I got so very sick that I had no choice.

Now that I've gotten used to a healthy diet and frequent exercise, I love it. I love how I feel. I've got new hope for my future.

Good luck staying away from heated political debate!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Well, I will just walk away & find a good book to read. I love discussions but when it comes to politics I find most people just have tunnel vision & refuse to exchange views. Anyhow, did you hear the health reports of the two candidates? OBama's b/p is only 90/60 with meds & he is a smoker plus he has as much stress as I would probably have in a week. John Mc Cain is on meds but his b/p is controlled. I would love to know what he is on. I bet the stock would go up pretty fast if that were known. Fam

Old 06-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #14
(female)

Marilyn123 HB User

Just a followup to the mid afternoon rise in my bp. I found that 20 minutes after dinner my blood pressure dropped down to 125/65 (from 159/67). Further investigation found that when I finished my daily 2 mile walk after lunch if I drank some apple juice then my bp dropped to 90/55. Is something that I'm eating or drinking causing the sudden drop. If I don't take the afternoon apple juice then I still spike at 3pm until after dinner. Thanks --------Marilyn

Closed Thread