It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
(male)

itsmikelol HB User
Systolic Hypertension / Diastolic Hypotension

At what point does antihypertensive treatment for your systolic pressure end up being dangerous for your diastolic pressure? I can't seem to find any good links about this. My systolic averages about 135. My diastolic is averaging under 60. Does anyone know about this or what I can do to bring the numbers closer together?

Old 06-19-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Re: Systolic Hypertension / Diastolic Hypotension

I've read in the medical literature that there is concern about the diastolic being so low. I have the same problem with mine being in the 50's & sometimes low 40's. But my systolic goes up at the drop of the hat so I have to tolerate the low diastolic.

Below 50 is considered low b/p especially if you have symptoms like feeling weak, dizzy, difficulty thinking. The HBP guidelines used to say not to go below 70.

Norvasc is a drug that might help since it works on the systolic mostly. I tried it but got too many side effects. Even HCTZ might help even though it does lower the dystolic too. Let us know if you find out any other info. Fam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
(male)

itsmikelol HB User

Just to update... i talked to a friend of mine that is a paramedic and he said the medical term for what i have is widened pulse pressure. Basically you subtract your diastolic from your systolic and the remainder is your pulse pressure. Normal pulse pressure is around 40 (i.e. 120-80=40) My pulse pressure is usually between 70 - 90. I don't know what that means health-wise, but I did see that some causes of wide pulse pressure are vasodialating drugs (I'm on Benicar) and anxiety.

I guess for now I just will continue with diet and exercise and hopefully can get my bp down enough to get off meds.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Low diastolic blood pressure occurs either as a part of the antihypertensive treatment, or as a consequence of an ongoing atherosclerotic process.
The wide pulse pressure carries with it a higher risk of cardiovascular problems. Diastolic pressure that is too low does not support adequate perfusion of our organs. Mine gets quite low, but so does the systolic. I think that should be OK. Basically, you need to get your blood pressure down to a healthier level and maintain good blood pressure control once you've achieved it. Sounds like you are well on your way!

flowergirl

Old 06-25-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
(male)

Gimli HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmikelol View Post
At what point does antihypertensive treatment for your systolic pressure end up being dangerous for your diastolic pressure? I can't seem to find any good links about this. My systolic averages about 135. My diastolic is averaging under 60. Does anyone know about this or what I can do to bring the numbers closer together?
I have this same exact problem. My doctor wants me to double my amount of Benicar dose but i don't like how dizzy it makes me feel. Pretty scary really. My Diastolic is low enough as it is. Gets in the 60's but all my doc focus's on is my Systolic which is always in the 130 to 140 range. I'm 29 and active is can be. I run 3 to 5 miles a day lift weights, play basketball. I get no less than 2 hours of activity per day i don't want to bog myself down with drugs. I'd rather die in 20 years than live now all cautiously and lame pumped full of drugs that make me tired. Sad to say, But its how i feel.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Gim,

I'm with you entirely especially given your age. Being able to exercise is important too. About 6 months ago. there was a report that said the people who exercised were less likely to have a stroke even the whole group was on b/p meds & had their b/p controlled. Then I read this week in the Dr's column that only 39% of strokes are prevented with b/p meds. I was disappointed in that %.

Have you considered cutting back on the Benicar & adding HCTZ. You would only need 12.5mg. I find HCTZ has the least side effects especially fatigue. But you must eat well.
Fam

Old 06-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
(male)

Gimli HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
Gim,

I'm with you entirely especially given your age. Being able to exercise is important too. About 6 months ago. there was a report that said the people who exercised were less likely to have a stroke even the whole group was on b/p meds & had their b/p controlled. Then I read this week in the Dr's column that only 39% of strokes are prevented with b/p meds. I was disappointed in that %.

Have you considered cutting back on the Benicar & adding HCTZ. You would only need 12.5mg. I find HCTZ has the least side effects especially fatigue. But you must eat well.
Fam
Honestly i haven't thought much about my BP in a few months. The only reason i'm back to worryin about it cuz i'm about to get on a plane for the first time of my life and i have underlying anxiety the past few weeks. But sadly i haven't done nearly enough research about how to control my BP. I just take my 20mg of benicar, exercise and eat sensibly and hope for the best. I honestly think my Systolic pressure being high is more to to with the fact that i'm hyper person. I got to go,go, go, you know..Problem is i get excited easy, upset easy and mad easy so i think thats the real problem. Relaxed my blood pressure can be low like 106/65 but at the doc i'm worked up with white coat syndrome and it will shoot way up. But i will look into HCTZ and see if it could help me.

Closed Thread