It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 12:15 AM   #1
(female)

whit3 HB User
High Blood Pressure Symptoms?

My doctor told me yesterday he thinks I may have a high blood pressure problem. My blood pressure was high when he took it, and he wants to see me back there in 2 weeks to check it again to determine if I do have a problem or not.

The reason he thinks this is
a) i'm (its hard for me to say) obese.
b) been getting headaches along with nose bleeds

These are the things I know about. But I forgot to ask him about something else ive been having a problem with lately, and thats hot flashes. Can hot flashes be linked to high blood pressure? I've been having them for about 2 months now and I know its not menopause as i'm only 20!!!!

The thing I do want to know about though is can high blood pressure give you hot flashes/flushes? I don't get the cold ones just the hot ones. Or do I have something completely seperate wrong with me ontop of this

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2008, 03:27 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

kelly1986 HB User
Re: High Blood Pressure Symptoms?

hi,
i'm not a dr. but i do have high blood pressure , so when i saw your question i wanted to tell you...i'm 40 and when mine was high 160/138 i would have hot flashes...my face turned beet red..even if i wasn't doing anything strenuous...also i knew when mine was high because my hands and feet would swell...hope this helps!! good luck kel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2008, 07:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi whit,

My symptoms were headaches and pulsing, throbbing pains in my carotid arteries. I'd have the occassional nosebleed as well. Several times a year I'd wake up with a bloody eye for no apparent reason. I'd be fine when going to bed and wake up with a bloody eye(s). However ridiculous this may seem now, I thought at the time - don't laugh too hard - that we had a spider in the bedroom who came out occassionally to bite me. (I absolutely, positively cannot stand spiders). One other thing - the small veins under my skin became VERY visible, forming a spider-like pattern all over my stomach. When I first noticed them, I was horrified. They looked so weird. Numerous little red bumps (dots) appeared on my chest and abdomen.

I should have seen and recognized the signs and done something. I am listing all of my symptoms in hopes that it might help another person get an earlier diagnosis and thus prevent organ damage. Unfortunately, I did not associate any of the symptoms with having high blood pressure. I would imagine they vary, with headache being the most common symptom.

They say that hypertension is a symptomless disease. It may be for most people, especially when their blood pressure elevations are mild and the hypertension is in the early stages. As it progresses and increases in severity, the number of symptoms increases. The problem is that people might not recognize the symptoms as such and attribute them to aging, muscle inflammation, spider bites and other causes. My blood pressure elevations evolved into a malignant hypertension over the years. I was told it had taken years of having an uncontrolled high blood pressure to sustain the existing organ and blood vessel damage.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 07-03-2008 at 07:45 AM.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
(female)

whit3 HB User

Sorry I have a few more questions, I don't know much about this and also didn't think I had this problem!!

How long is "having it for a while and its now got out of control" kind of thing? And with high blood pressure is it ALWAYS high or is there some days its normal but most days its high? I'm trying to determine how long i've had this to see how serious I may be.

About a year and a half ago I was having some health problems with really bad headaches (ended up being chronic sinusitis) and had my blood pressure taken every time I went to the doctor. Once it was high, but the next time I went it was normal. So i'm wondering if it does go back to normal for a day or so and goes back to high. If not then I can't have had this more than a year or so.

Also you mentioned that you had your veins show more on your stomache, can this happen anywhere? I think I get that on my palms it gives a kind of "dotty" effect because the skins thicker because we use our hands more and you can't see them fully.

Also I read in another post about insulin resistance being linked with high blood pressure? I think I also have this, i've thought i've had insulin resistance for a while as I have darkened/browned skin under my arms, around my neck etc and I heard thats a sign of insulin resistance. I first tried to link this up with PCOS as i've been having some infertility issues but all my hormone tests came back normal.

I hope you can help me figure this out. Its not confirmed yet, I have to go back to the doctor in 2 weeks time to have my blood pressure taken again and if its high again he's going to put me on meds But I can see thats whats going to happen, it was bound to happen one day, I really haven't been looking after my weight

Old 07-03-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Check out the DASH diet for HBP & go on search for Beth's post about her success with it. She got her b/p down just by eating healthy. Start exercising-walking is fine,don't need to do high intensity. Sounds like you have a chance to reverse your b/p. Fam

Old 07-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
Also I read in another post about insulin resistance being linked with high blood pressure? I think I also have this, i've thought i've had insulin resistance for a while as I have darkened/browned skin under my arms, around my neck etc and I heard thats a sign of insulin resistance
Well, what a surprise! That's what I have- patches of brown vein-like spots of skin. I only have these on my forearms (so far) and had one large area of brown skin above the knuckles on my right hand. (The spot is gone now, the rest isn't). It looked like a big age spot UNDER the skin. I thought it was from the sun, or photosensitivity from my medications. I woud not be surprised if it was from the insulin. Thanks SO MUCH for mentioning it!!!! I'll have to read up on that.

I have just had some tests and labwork done. One of the tests was a 3 hour insulin tolerance. They also tested for anemia, due to the darkened skin you mentioned. My ECG was not great. I had to promise to see my doctor within 2 days to stop them from sending me directly to ER. I'll go get the lab results before going to work tomorrow morning. I am too anxious and don't want to wait until my next week's appointment to find out about the insulin issue. I think I might have high levels of insulin. My arms, hands and legs tingle all the time. For this reason, I am also curious about my electrolyte levels.

I have to go make a couple of phone calls, but will try to answer your question in a little while in another post.

flowergirl

Old 07-03-2008, 11:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Whit,

Quote:
How long is "having it for a while and its now got out of control" kind of thing? And with high blood pressure is it ALWAYS high or is there some days its normal but most days its high? I'm trying to determine how long i've had this to see how serious I may be.
Fam is right. You should start by changing your diet and including some exercise in your daily routine. Do your best to try to get your blood pressure to normal (IF it is elevated to begin with!!!) WITHOUT the meds. Do not worry about your blood pressure getting out of control. If diagnosed and treated before it becomes severe, it should not get any worse. Hypertension worsens when an underlying condition that's causing it is not treated.

Quote:
About a year and a half ago I was having some health problems with really bad headaches (ended up being chronic sinusitis) and had my blood pressure taken every time I went to the doctor. Once it was high, but the next time I went it was normal. So i'm wondering if it does go back to normal for a day or so and goes back to high. If not then I can't have had this more than a year or so.
Not to worry. Blood pressure fluctuations are normal. They happen in everyone continuously. When we are sick, the blood pressure can spike considerably. Some people have a white coat hypertension. This means that their blood pressure is elevated ONLY at the doctors' office, because they are nervous and anxious. The rest of the time - at home and at work - their blood pressure is normal. Three consistently elevated blood pressure readings at the doctor's office are usually necessary before a diagnosis of hypertension can be made.

Quote:
Also you mentioned that you had your veins show more on your stomache, can this happen anywhere? I think I get that on my palms it gives a kind of "dotty" effect because the skins thicker because we use our hands more and you can't see them fully.
I had vein problems on my right hand as well. (Twice). Mine had burst and were extremely painful each time, causing a part of the palm of my hand to turn blue. I went to the doctor's on one of those occassions, because I couldn't stand the pain. According to the doctor, anything might have caused it - an injury to the hand, or other things he did not bother to list. There was no treatment. The blood is reabsorbed into the tissue eventually. This happened not long before my diagnosis of hypertension. I now wonder if these occurences could have been related to my high blood pressure and were, in fact, its symptoms.

You should try to measure your blood pressure at home. That way you'll know what it normally is. You have nothing to compare the blood pressure readings taken by your doctor to. Purchase a blood pressure monitor. It is something everyone should have. Make sure to use it. (I could bet my sons don't use theirs!)

Follow Fam's advice and read the post she mentioned. It will inspire you. Best of luck with the appointment.

flowergirl

Old 07-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #8
(female)

whit3 HB User

I started my diet yesterday! I wasn't planning on dieting, but i didnt have breakfast or lunch and i went to the doctors BEFORE dinner so really my diet started yesterday because I found out the news before i'd eaten for the day. I'm determined to get this under control My doctor suggested a lap band, but as there is a 2-3 year waiting list, i plan on being on that waiting list, but if i can lose the weight with diet and exercise between now and then, i can always say no thankyou when the time comes!

Old 07-04-2008, 06:33 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's the attitude you need to have - you can do it!

Weight loss is not easy for most of us without a lot of effort. You need to be prepared to give up some of your favorite foods. Skipping meals is not the healthy way to lose weight. You'll just eat that much more at your next meal. It sounds like you should do some research about losing weight properly. Don't forget to ask your doctor whether or not the DASH diet is right for you.

While it can be lifesaving, the surgery you're considering doesn't come without a prize. Read about the experiences of some of the people who'd had it and live with the consequences (side effects) of the surgery. The commercials promoting this surgery leave these side effects out, of course. You should do your best to try and do it the natural way. Please keep up posted.

flowergirl

Old 07-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
(female)

whit3 HB User

I wasn't skipping meals on purpose, I just never have breakfast and forgot to take something to work for lunch. I'm doing calorie counting, i have 3 meals a day and even manage to squeeze some snacks in and still have minimal calories, i don't think dieting will be hard for me. Its more about portion control and the different types of food i eat now. I'm not into chocolate or sweets or icecream or anything sugary to be honest, i think thats why I don't have diabeties.

I've had to swap my dark chicken meat (thighs, yum yum) with less fatty chicken breasts. Oven cook things instead of deep fry. And probably cut back on the amount of bread I eat and more of everything else I eat. Bread is the biggest thing for me.

And I've just got to cut out the fast food, which will be easy as we can't aford it anymore anyway. Hopefully this is the start of a new healthy me And hopefully if i show my doctor in these 2 weeks that i'm starting to lose weight he may not put me on high blood pressure meds and just let me lose the weight instead.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:15 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
And probably cut back on the amount of bread I eat and more of everything else I eat. Bread is the biggest thing for me.
I know the feeling!!! Bread is my weakness. (I just had some!!!for dinner) Trying to eat less bread is really hard for me to do. I lasted exactly one day without the bread.
You seem to have a good plan for weight loss and are serious about following it. Good for you! I skip breakfast too, because I have nausea in the mornings. I eat it at 10:00 - usually just some fruit. You should make it a point to eat something.
Best of luck. Please keep us posted.

flowergirl

Old 07-05-2008, 01:24 AM   #12
(female)

sally47 HB User

hiya ..i live in Scotland and when i first had h.b.p i was sent to the cardio clinic at the hospital the consultant that i saw was explaining about b.p as i was also told i had "white coat hypertension " ..he then went on to say that h.b.p is a silent killer as it shows no symptoms people dont know they have it till their admitted to hospital he then said if your lucky you might have a persistent headache as a warning sign the only way to tell is to monitor your b.p ...but maybe like cholesterol there is different types of h.b.p ?....

sally

Old 07-06-2008, 11:07 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sally,

Sorry to hear about your hypertension. Your consultant is right. It is believed that most people with hypertension don't have any symptoms.

One of my hypertension books says that it is mostly people with severe and resistant hypertension that have symptoms of high blood pressure. Even in those circumstances, only some people become symptomatic. Most do not. I believe that people with less severe hypertension can have some symptoms of high blood pressure without ever being aware of them. For instance, when we get a headache, we don't associate it with anything in particular. It can be almost impossible to determine its exact cause.

flowergirl

Closed Thread