It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Matt321 HB User
Red face going to the dr's tomorrow morning, getting off atenolol because of life issues

going to the dr's tomorrow morning, getting offAtenolol because of life issues:

I have change of personality/attitude along with many side effects.
I do not see to care while taking atenolol
I get very snappy all of the time
I gained weight very rapidly
I get confused on atenolol
I'm very lazy and completely unmotivated
Sexual side effects
I become very unaware

I am currently taking 50mg Atenolol by mouth twice a day. 17 years old. Gained significant amount of weight ( I will surely be ****** after I get off of it) I used to be 150 lbs in great shape looking great.

I want to get completely off of this drug and never be put on another to regain my train of thought/everything who I am.

Does anyone have any suggestions I can say to my doctor? I need off this medicine and do not want to have a heartattack/more problems.

Is no more drugs in my life a possibility? Or do I have to risk going through this nightmare all over again
It took me a WHOLE year to get this list of side effects figured out (and it happened by chance)

Old 08-08-2008, 12:58 AM   #2
(male)

marantz1935 HB User
Re: going to the dr's tomorrow morning, getting off atenolol because of life issues

Hello Matt,

Let me say straight off the bat that I relate to almost all your side effects while I too was taking Atenolol. Like you, I suffered greatly while taking this drug. There's a saying that sometimes the cure is worse than the curse and that fits the bill when it comes to Atenolol - with some patients at least. I, like you, was irritable, tired, confused, unaware (almost walked in front of a car), lazy (I'm bad enough without the drug ), and unmotivated.

Take your list of side effects along to your GP and request a change in medication. There should be no problem putting you on something else. I was subsequently put on Micardis and it was a big improvement for me.

Read my other posts regarding Atenolol.

You'll be OK

Marantz.

Last edited by marantz1935; 08-08-2008 at 01:02 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2008, 06:42 AM   #3
(female)

ms58 HB User
Re: going to the dr's tomorrow morning, getting off atenolol because of life issues

Me too. I got so sick taking Atenolol, and I am a very healthy person normally. My doctor seemed to think I was making up my symptoms, but reading the many informative posts on this forum, and many other discussion sites elsewhere, I knew it was the Atenolol. In addition, it was constricting my blood vessels and giving me terrible headaches, ear ringing and rising BP. I am one month off of it, still I get a few slight symptoms at times, but I am almost all the way OK again.

My doctor switched me to DiltiazemCD, a calcium channel blocker, which my research revealed was the CCB they give people who can't tolerate beta blockers. I just stopped the Atenolol and went on the DiltiazemCD. Many caution that you should ween off Atenolol, but I was so sick, I couldn't eat, so cold turkey with the new med plugged in for safety was what I did. Even with the substitution, the symptoms of withdrawal were very bad, but worth it to get off Atenolol.

Just tell your doctor you cannot take beta blockers and don't listen to his/her doubts. Just get off using whichever method is safest for you and try other meds, nothing is worth the mental and physical discomfort Atenolol causes.

And you asked if you could get off med completely. I think the answer to that would be why did they put you on Atenolol originally and can you alter your lifestyle in some way to reduce blood pressure. At 17, I'd think you'd want to find a doctor who can work with you if possible to get off meds completely and control BP in some other way.

Good luck!

Last edited by ms58; 08-08-2008 at 06:46 AM.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
(female)

Chantal231 HB User

Hi everyone,

I was "messed up" the same way with metoprolol.

I was so sick I could hardly get out of bed. My head had that unaware feeling too. I could hardly put a sentence together.

No more beta blockers for me.

I too am now taking Diltiazem with good results.

Good luck, Matt!

Chantal

Old 08-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User

Matt - you're not alone. If you go back on this board you will find many people who could not tolerate beta blockers, especially Atenolol. I was on it too. Had everything you had. My (former) doctor and I will say former because he refused to acknowledge that I could have had the side effects I told him I had from this pill, said to me....I take this pill and I am fine so you should be too. Now isn't that totally ridiculous. I got off the pill and my life turned around. I felt alive again after cessation of this medication. I was on it about six months. During those six months I had an auto accident and lost a beautiful diamond. I was so out of it. So if your dr refuses to give you something else, get rid of him/her and find someone who'll listen to you. Beta blockers are very difficult for many to take. You have other choices. You'll find something that helps you and also allows you to maintain a good quality of life. You can do it.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #6
(female)

ladyinleppard HB User

Dang.. see all these horror stories of scary meds. Thats why I wont take them but my bp is 160/100 . I drank some JD last night and it was 115/85 was in shock but I obviously cant drink everyday but does anyone know safe least scary sight effects to lower bp. Im now watching my sodium intake.Has anyone had any luck w/ atavan? Matt what you are going through is just offel.. My heart goes out to you. 17? Do they know why yours is high at such a young age? Im 40 and mine could be so many reasons.If I narrow it down I would be thrilled.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:55 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Matt321 HB User

Thank you all so much for sharing your extensive knowledge, you really have been a huge help so far

I am currently 100% off medication and have slight pain in my arm and chest region. Blood pressure is slightly up but nothing to worry about, too much. I got really fat and want my old self back. Especially with my first year of college coming up. I feel crushed . I don't know what to do , I can't do vigorous running like I would need to in order to lose the weight FAST because it will cause my blood pressure and heart rate to get dangerous. I'm going for long walks because that's all I can do. I'm kicking my diet up a huge notch starting today (after I wake up) and hopefully that can help. Anything else I can do?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinleppard View Post
Dang.. see all these horror stories of scary meds. Thats why I wont take them but my bp is 160/100 . I drank some JD last night and it was 115/85 was in shock but I obviously cant drink everyday but does anyone know safe least scary sight effects to lower bp. Im now watching my sodium intake.Has anyone had any luck w/ atavan? Matt what you are going through is just offel.. My heart goes out to you. 17? Do they know why yours is high at such a young age? Im 40 and mine could be so many reasons.If I narrow it down I would be thrilled.
If you can I would advise against beta blockers. I went from the peak of my life all the way down to what seems like hell. I would get on a treadmill every chance you get and stop consuming salt or anything with sodium. I would give up taste to get back to where I was.

Last edited by Matt321; 08-14-2008 at 01:11 AM.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:11 AM   #8
(male)

marantz1935 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt321 View Post
I'm going for long walks because that's all I can do.

Hello again Matt,

Glad to hear your off the Atenolol. I got a sharp pain one morning after abruptly withdrawing from this beta blocker. I'm fine since, but if yours persists or get worse then see your GP, though I really don't think there will be an issue.

Walk for at least an hour a day. I guarantee you'll feel the benefit it time.

Mind yourself.

Marantz.

Closed Thread