It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
(male)

thelaw HB User
high blood pressure--how to treat w/o meds

I'm a 24-year-old, generally healthy male. But, the last 8 times I've checked my blood pressure, it's been at least 130/90, and it's gone as high as 156/110 once.

I'm not sure exactly what's causing the high blood pressure or how to address it.

I work out 5 days a week--can run 2 miles in 14 minutes and do 50 pushups without a break. My BMI is 23.0 and I have around 15% body fat. My diet consists mainly of Kashi cereals with skim milk for breakfast, stir fried lean meats and veggies over brown rice and lentils for lunch and dinner, and snacks of yogurt, fruit, protein bars, and more Kashi cereal 6-8 times a day. I eat out about twice or three times a week--sometimes this is unavoidable for social/professional reasons. I take multi-vitamins and an additional B/C vitamin supplement. I'd say on average, I eat about 3500-4000 calories a day, but I have a naturally fast metabolism--I'll lose weight like crazy if I eat less, and I'm relatively skinny already.

I used to drink heavily (in undergrad I could down 12 shots of vodka in 2 hours and not even get tipsy), but now I only have 2-3 glasses of red wine per week--I haven't drunk more than that in about a year.

I'm really averse to doing blood pressure meds. Anyone have any advice?

Last edited by thelaw; 08-12-2008 at 06:32 PM. Reason: typo

Old 08-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
(female)

ms58 HB User
Re: high blood pressure--how to treat w/o meds

With your very good exercise, weight and food habits the only things I can think of which may be elevating your BP would be if you use the "energy drinks", diet pills, or stamina pills from the health food stores. Some contain huge amounts of stimulants which can raise BP. It's just a thought. You should try to evaluate any thing you eat or take for any purpose and check it's side effects.

Other than that, a complete physical, blood tests, etc., may be necessary to see what is possibly not functioning well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Megan51 HB User

Hi, your diet sounds very good, and exercise as well. I have had high BP for 3 years and have just begun doing some serious changes to lower it. The doctor wants me on meds; which I tried but had no change - in fact it went higher. I wondered to myself, "How can a diuretic that flushes out all the minerals out of the body be any good for me, and expect my heart to do better???" So I did reading.
Okay, it's been only one week, but here is my experience. FYI - I am a 51 year old female with terrible chronic pain, (that begun my hypertension, as pain goes). I started taking the minerals that the heart needs. (All otc purchases)
Magnesium 1 tablet at 250mg
Potassium 1 tablet
Calcium Citrate (it doesn't constipate - carbonate does) I take 1000 mg day

My BP on day 2 was 2 points lower, and has continued to drop down. It has been for the longest time an average of 145/93 or higher; today and yesterday it reads 136/85!!!!!! Yippie, it is working. Anyways this is the thing. Hearts need these minerals in order to function properly, but doctors generally avoid such issues. With you, you are eating lots of good food, true, BUT YOU ARE SWEATING AND LOSING MUCH OF YOUR MINERAL CONTENT through all the exercise.
Now I can say this because I used to run, and bike and developed irregular heart beats with flutterings. Someone suggested orange juice, that I needed potassium. It worked! I mean really!! Can't the medical business take the natural laws of nature more seriously?
So, if I were you I would try the above. ONE MORE THING. My aunt who smokes, suggested to me that I should do what she does for her high bp. She takes celery seed capsules. Did you know that celery is really, really good for its properties - <removed> But to eat a lot of it is not my cup of tea.
So the celery seed is a good alternative.
Hope this helps!
Megan51 newbie

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-14-2008 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
Yippie, it is working. Anyways this is the thing. Hearts need these minerals in order to function properly, but doctors generally avoid such issues. Can't the medical business take the natural laws of nature more seriously?
Megan,

we all know the answer to that!!! OTC drugs, vitamins and minerals are NOT what keeps the pharmaceutical companies raking in the big bucks.

On a positive note, anyone can use the supplements. I do. It takes a while to do the necessary research, check with the pharmacist for contraindications and drug interactions, etc. Being on medication should not stop anyone from trying natural remedies for lowering blood pressure, providing a doctor has been consulted and approves.

It has been established that these types of products each lower the blood pressure by a moderate (sometimes very small) amount. Losing weight helps considerably, as does exercising. Eating vitamin and mineral rich foods is also beneficial. Unfortunately, even when combined, the resulting blood pressure decrease may not be adequate enough.

Adopting these and other measures can be sufficient to lower the blood pressure to an acceptable level in people with pre-hypertension, or stage 1 hypertension. You don't see many people with severe hypertension lowering their blood pressure to normal levels by using herbs, supplements, diet, yoga and meditation exclusively.

I am sorry to say that at certain times people NEED the help of antihypertensive drugs. We should be grateful to have them available for when the need arises. I read that only a few people with very high blood pressure readings have managed to lower their blood pressure using natural means to normal levels. These were the people with the so-called whitecoat hypertension, not true severe hypertension (according to the text I read). Even then, they were an exception, rather than a rule.

Taking the above measures to lower blood pressure will result in a moderate reduction for most of those who try. That is nice and fine, if your hypertension is mild and not much of a reduction in blood pressure is needed in the first place. Many posters here have done it successfully. However, a "moderate" reduction in blood pressure thus achieved is not adequate enough to forego the use of antihypertensive medications completely for most people with stage 2 or stage 3 hypertension. Whether or not an adequate blood pressure reduction is achieved by adapting a healthier lifestyle, EVERYONE benefits.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 08-14-2008 at 11:05 PM.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Hooray for you for decreasing your alcohol intake & maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Before going on meds, I would check out the DASH diet to see if you need to fine tune your already healthy diet. What about sodium intake including salt & sodium laden prepared foods?

Your intense exercise with bench presses may have to be reduced. I would try just walking for about an hour a day since you are already in good shape. Do this for a week & see if there is a change in your b/p.

What about sleep? Any signs of sleep apnea? If so you could have a sleep study & see if you need a C-Pap machine at night. It often will reduce b/p by 10 points & give you a better nights sleep.

Are you getting enough potassium through fruits & vegetables etc? Potassium can be a two edge sword: too much can stop the heart & too little can cause one's heart to function poorly. You need to see what your blood tests for potassium show before considering supplements. Food sources come prepacked with the other nutrients needed to make the best use of potassium.

Are you getting enough fluid during the day? Water or other fluids can act as a natural diuretic. Too much fluid can result in death because of its effect on the brain. It is important to sip our fluids & not drink real fast. Drinking 16 oz of fluid within a 15 min period will raise the b/p for two hours. Avoid drinks with caffeine. I find drinking 16 oz of water before breaksfast while exercising a good way to start the day. You will know you are getting enough fluid if your urine is a pale yellow. I find the Brita water filter gives tasty water. Eight (8oz) glasses of fluid a day seems to suit most people.

Make sure you are dealing with "white coat hypertension." Are you sure your b/p monitor is accurate or at least consistently off by a few points. Check it against the DR's monitor or go to a Fire station or even the ER which will do it for free.

Is the b/p cuff the correct size? You may need a larger cuff with all your exercising.

The bottom line here is to leave no stone unturned before going on meds. You can probaly find lists of probably causes of HBP that are within your control.

Fam

Old 08-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Well, thelaw,

Whenever someone gets panicky about their numbers, the first question that comes to my mind is "Are the numbers accurate?"

Or in other words,

1. Is your machine accurate?

2. Are you using the correct size cuff?

3. Have you avoided eating, smoking, and exercising at least 30 minhutes before taking a measurement?

4. Are your feet flat on the floor? and is your arm on a table at the same level as your heart when you are taking a measurement?

5. Do you remain still and not talk when taking a measurement?

6. Do you wait 3-15 minutes before taking multiple measurements?

7. Are you following the recommended guidelines of your home monitor?

No need to panick about pressures unless you get accurate readings...

Bethsheba

Old 08-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan51 View Post
... Did you know that celery is really, really good for its properties - <removed> But to eat a lot of it is not my cup of tea.
So the celery seed is a good alternative.
Celery is high in sodium which can contribute to hypertension. Although celery has many beneficial qualitites, I would not recommend it for reducing blood pressure, and if I chose to eat it, I would monitor the amount celery I ate and the amount of sodium it contained.

The DASH diet researchers recommend a daily sodium intake of about 1500 mg which is considerably less what most Americans consume.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 08-23-2008 at 01:02 PM.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:33 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

hopesprings2 HB User

lossing wt is the most effective
exercise
dont eat salt use dash
a garlic glove per day

Old 08-26-2008, 12:04 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Dr. Dean Edell (xm radio) said the other day that about 33 &#37; of pts with HBP can reverse it with lifestyle changes. He went on to say that a good % of pts have HBP only at the DR's so its important to get an accurate monitor & check the numbers against a monitor that you know should be accurate (at the DR's, fire statio, ER.) Then you have to take your b/p in a variety of setting as in the home, at work, exercising etc so you can get a picture of what your normal b/p is. Take this info to your Doc & get some blood tests to rule out conditions that may cause HBP & go from there. Don't be lazy; do your best to manage your b/p without drugs. These b/p drugs can be lethal at the worse & annoying at the least even though they are all we've got if lifestyle changes don't work. Fam

Closed Thread