It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Matt321 HB User
side Effects of atenolol wear off over a long period of time?

I took 50mg of atenolol twice a day for 1 year. I still feel like I'm being slowed by something and its been almost a week since I have been taken off the atenolol.

I can feel and tell improvements but I still feel as if I'm on something.. I don't know what to do. My doctor really hasn't said anything about effects of atenolol and hasn't really acknowledged me other than to take me off the med and have me document blood pressures.

I'm 17 years old and still feel like I am "unaware" at times. Or "spaced out".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2008, 12:22 AM   #2
(male)

marantz1935 HB User
Re: side Effects of atenolol wear off over a long period of time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt321 View Post

I'm 17 years old and still feel like I am "unaware" at times. Or "spaced out".
I know the feeling. I almost walked in front of a car while taking 50mg of Atenolol. I'd give it another two to three weeks for the drug to leave your body. If there's no improvement by then, go see your GP.

I'm confident you'll be fine.

Marantz.

Last edited by marantz1935; 08-20-2008 at 12:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Matt321 HB User

Honestly marantz, I haven't been able to feel such relief in such a long time. thank you for sharing all of your experiences and advice with me.. they have surely been a help to me.
Who knows, maybe I can help someone else down the line.

I cannot wait to get back to 100%.. and I guess you know all about that

Old 08-20-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
(male)

marantz1935 HB User

Hi Matt,

Glad to help.

When I first came on the boards I was in bits, but only for the support I received from the members here I don't know how I'd have managed.

Initially, I was put on 50mg of Atenolol daily. I suffered with it for a few months before going on 20mg of Micardis which was much better side-effects wise.

At the moment I am off medication.

I monitor my BP quite regularly and so far it's fine.

You'll be right as rain real soon.

Marantz.

Last edited by marantz1935; 08-20-2008 at 05:52 AM.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
(female)

ms58 HB User

Yes, Matt, I'm right there with you. I have been off Atenolol, after taking it for about one year, for going on six weeks now. You get over the horrible symptoms slowly. I'm sure it depends on each person, but I get things out of my system slowly, so I still get the head squeeze and ear ring, and fuzzy head sometimes. Some days, much better. It gets better in weekly increments for me. But you are so much younger, I'm sure you'll move thru the process more quickly and be feeling well soon.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:46 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Matt321 HB User

I hope you can get through it.. I have bad days every day but things seem to get better at different parts of the day. I went for a walk today and I could actually comprehend things and be myself again. Right now i'm not doing too good and I cant sleep but I guess you win some and you lose some. If it wasn't hard for me to sleep going through all of this well then I probably shouldn't have been complaining to begin with, you know?

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-21-2008 at 04:09 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 08-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
(male)

jr2212 HB User

Hey Matt - 50 MG of Atenolol twice a day - Wow! That's a very substantial dose. What was your blood pressure when they started this? Am assuming it was very high to require that dosage level.

I took 50 MG over a year and can understand just the feelings that your indicating. I know at your age it's difficult to question your Doctor but as one who has done a lot of reasearch into Atenolol I would initially question a lot about the drug therapy your Doctor put you on. Please understand one thing, I do not know anything about your medical condition and you may have special circumstances which indicate the therapy you were put on, but nonetheless there are things strictly based on readings about Atenolol I encountered in my reasearch of the drug that raise questions in my mind. They are:

1. Atenolol is generally not indicated (recomended) for the initial treatment of Moderate High blood pressure.
2. Physicians who are familiar with Atenolol generally withdraw patients from Atenolol on a gradual bases, treating with lower does for a period time rather than pulling patients off suddenly.
3. 100 MG of Atenolol is the highest recomended dosage of Atenolol (that would be the cumulative daily dose you indicated you were on) on the physicians label and in most circumstances is not the initial recomended dosage - either 25 or 50 MG daily is.

Once again I do not know your circumstances and there may be things about your condition that indicated this treatment. But if you suffer from no more than moderate hypertension (high blood pressure) I would greatly question the therapy your physician put you on.

I would encourage you (and your parents) to monitor and reasearch the therapies that your physician recommends for you. <removed>

As far as the "after effects" of taking Atenolol, they may be different for everyone, in fact there have been studies that indicate that withdrawl symptoms from Atenolol don't exist but from my experience with Atenolol I can assure you they did in me, which indicates that it's probably different for everyone.

When I found out (after a year being on Atenolol) that it was not the recomended initial treatment for people with moderate high blood pressure and that my physican withdrew me suddenly from it, also not recomended, I realized that my physican was not that informed on how to treat my condition. I switched physicans and although I still battle high blood pressure things are much better for me.

Again I would urge you to do reasearch and GET YOUR PARENTS INVOLVED on what's best for you in treating your condition.

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-21-2008 at 11:35 PM. Reason: do not discuss how to find websites.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Matt,

100 mg of atenolol a day is the maximum dose recommended....did your doctor talk to you about weaning off of this stuff??? It is one of the meds one should reduce slowly because it can be dangerous to go cold turkey.

I went cold turkey from 25 mg/day but read afterwards that was a "no, no". I would highly recommend reading some of the older posts about people weaning off of atenolol. Some of the "older" posters had docs that were more cognizant of the importance of reducing the dosage over time, sometimes over a period of months.

You might also want to check with a pharmacist or two to see what they would recommend. Often, they are more familiar with the weaning process and side effects than are the doctors.

But again, I suspect you're going about this way too fast....

Bethsheba

PS I believe I experienced rebound hypertension going cold turkey....in other words, my bp jumped up higher than it normally was when not on medication...thus another reason to withdraw gradually.

You're too young to be on medication...people your age usually have underlying conditions that cause the hypertension. Often these conditions can be treated/cured...but that's another thread.

Last edited by bethsheba; 08-21-2008 at 05:05 PM.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:02 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Matt321 HB User

wow, this sure is crazy. a complete new man just walked out of my room and in no way am I a homosexual.

I still get mental blocks, but I can see myself.. some what! at good points in my day!

gosh I have a chubby face lol (and everything else)

I am going to love getting off all of this weight

Closed Thread