It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 05:32 AM   #1
(female)

missy81 HB User
why is my blood pressure up first thing in the a.m.

why is my blood pressure up first thing in the a.m.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
(male)

marantz1935 HB User
Re: why is my blood pressure up first thing in the a.m.

Mine can be slightly up first thing in the morning as well. My GP put it down to anxiety. This might be the case with you. Take a reading say an hour later and see does it drop like mine does.

Marantz.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User

Out of balance hormones, such as cortisol, can cause blood pressure to be higher when it shouldn't. Before deciding or relenting to a doctor putting you on any medications, make sure other causes are ruled out first.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Check your blood pressure both before and about 30 minutes after you eat, especially if you eat a fair amount of carbohydrate. Some people have post-prandial hypotension where eating causes their blood pressure to drop after meals or snacks. Since for most people the longest time without food would be in the morning, it would be logical for BP to be highest then. From what I've read it is almost unheard of for people in their 20s to have post-prandial hypotension (PPH), but as many as one-third of people over 65 may have it.

I have it and my systolic drops between 20 and 50 points after a meal. So far the only symptom I have from it is extreme tiredness after meals. But others, especially the very elderly on BP meds, may have dizziness, syncope and falls. There is also an association with strokes and a higher all-risk mortality. My doctor put me on only a low level of BP meds, only one-sixth as much as I was on formerly. It doesn't keep my BP under control over a 24-hour period, but she didn't want my BP to drop too much after meals. I have to try to eat often, but small amounts at one time. I also eat a little something when I awaken during the night. When I sleep straight through, though, or fail to eat when I wake up in the night, my BP can be really high in the morning. Food ends up being a better blood pressure "medication" than does the drug. Low-glycemic-load foods are preferred, as they cause a lower amount of drop in BP.

Post-prandial hypotension certainly isn't the only cause of higher BP in the morning, but it is one cause and I know many people are unaware of it. I'd encourage anyone who reads this and finds from their own BP checks that they have it to do a web search for the research on PPH. My own doctor knew next to nothing about it, and I'm guessing that such may be common for a lot of family doctors. Since there isn't a specific medication for it and having it may actually cause a doctor to prescribe less medication, the drug company reps certainly aren't going to be "educating" the doctors about it!

Old 09-06-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uff-Da! View Post
From what I've read it is almost unheard of for people in their 20s to have post-prandial hypotension (PPH), but as many as one-third of people over 65 may have it.
Look up dysautonomia. Lots of people with various forms of it have post prandial hypotension and a fairly large amount of those with dysautonomia are in their 20s or had their symptoms start in their 20s. And no, don't believe what you read if it says dysautonomia is very rare - it's not that rare, and typically most forms of it are difficult for doctors to even recognize.

Just a bit of info.

I still suggest that hormone levels be checked. It's a more common problem.

Closed Thread