It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 03:19 AM   #1
(female)

ruby jade HB User
my blood pressure is higher in a morning why

my blood pressure is higher in a morning why

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2008, 05:59 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

LeeAnn76 HB User
Re: my blood pressure is higher in a morning why

Well, I have heard various opinions, but my doctor and I were just talking about this,and he said that bp is higher in the a.m. because the body is waking up and there is a surge of hormones in the body to get the body up and about and going---therefore he said bp would typically be highest in the a.m.
I don't always find that to be true, but then our bp can vary for so many reasons.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2008, 06:24 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

pinkpixies HB User

When I was in the hospital, they took vitals twice a day and my morning bp was always the lowest. LOL I think it was b/c I was still half asleep and doped up on Klonopin from the night before so I wasn't too overly anxious yet.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User

I believe it's supposed to be the lowest in the morning. Your body builds up cortisol, it's not a sudden surge from sleep to waking.

Some people can get hypertension laying down, so it would be best to see what your blood pressure is when you're resting. If it's high after you've been laying down a bit - check into that. If it's only highest in the mornings maybe your circadian rhythm/hormone levels could be off for some reason.

Apparently my brain is a little slow today (too early for me when I made the initial post) - Sleep problems (such as sleep apnea) can cause higher blood pressure in the morning.

As for the suggestion high BP in the morning because of hormones making sense - Both mine and several other people's cardiologists have said otherwise. My blood pressure is horrible in the morning, but I may possibly have low cortisol to begin with - so my body may not be getting told to wake up properly.

Last edited by aether4; 10-22-2008 at 10:58 AM. Reason: adding more info

Old 10-22-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
(male)

marantz1935 HB User

Hi,

Similar problem with blood pressure higher in the morning. My doctor said it was anxiety related. LeeAnn76's explanation makes a lot of sense.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

It may be due to untreated sleep apnea in some individuals.

Closed Thread