It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 03:55 AM   #1
(male)

Ghouse papa HB User
in the morning why my blood pressure is high?

Old 11-07-2008, 05:12 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

LeeAnn76 HB User
Re: in the morning why my blood pressure is high?

Other people may chime in----but my doctor told me that blood pressure is typically highest in the morning because upon waking up there is a surge of hormonal activity---something like that----to get the body going for the day.

I am switching right now from one bp med to another and when I took my bp right when I got out of bed it was high, but then a few minutes later it went down. Also, I have read that when you are cold, your bp is higher---and I noticed that when I got out of the warm bed and went to sit down at the kitchen table my hands were cold and I was cold.

Any other thoughts out there?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2008, 05:17 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

LeeAnn76 HB User

Also check out this link from the Mayo Clinic

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-blood-pressure/HI00016

Preapproved by Administrator

----go down towards the bottom of the article on tips and it says that bp is highest right when you get out of bed so wait an hour to take it. Who knows----when my bp is controlled--right now in switching meds it is a little iffy---it is usually the same all day--but check out this article.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-08-2008 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Preapproved

Old 11-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
(male)

Ghouse papa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghouse papa View Post
today my blood pressure was 190over95

Old 11-08-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

People with sleep apnea (and I suspect other sleep disorders) can experience high blood pressure in the morning.

Normally my bp runs normal (without meds) but I recently registered a 175/110 after waking in the middle of the night!! By morning, my pressures had dropped to the 130s/80s but this is high for me. What happened? I have been sleeping without my cpap machine, used for treating sleep apnea, because it is broken!! So I'm sleeping upright now until I get my machine fixed/replaced and my pressures have since dropped down to normal once again.

Although bp can be very, very high after apneas, and drop in the am, it may remain high throughout the days if the apnea is left untreated.

I'm not at all suggesting you have apnea...simply explaining why some people may have higher pressures in the am.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 11-08-2008 at 09:30 AM.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

LeeAnn76 HB User

I think if my bp were 190/95 in the morning, I would definitely give my doctor a call. When I was talking about being higher in the morning----I was thinking 140/85 or 90---as opposed to 122/79 later in the day--------so I think a call to your doctor is in order, at least I for myself would want to do that----he or she may know a lot about you and say it is fine---but we really need to keep them informed about what is going on with us---

Closed Thread