It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User
Fruit, blood pressure, blood sugar

Flowergirl2day's comment on my recent post got me thinking about starting this thread. The evidence is out there that fruit can help in lowering BP due to its many healthy properties. Yet many who have high BP also have high blood sugar, which causes a dilemma. I am curious for those of you watching your diet, how you address this dilemma, esp. re the DASH diet. I am espcially curious about the DASH diet because while it emphasizes fruit quite a lot, follow-up studies show that it does NOT worsen insulin resistance in people with that problem. I wonder if it is the number of portions of fruit the diet recommends, the size of those portions, the type of fruit, or all of the above? I tend to eat quite a lot of fruit, probably more then I should, and diabetes runs in my family, so I am quite interested in what others may know on this.

tamuprof45

Old 11-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Fruit, blood pressure, blood sugar

I realized that I was Insulin Resistant in 2004. Throughout 2005 and 2006, I was on a very small, low calorie, low carb, frequent feeding diet. At first, if I ate an extra quarter of a small apple during the day, I would suffer from breathing problems, chest pains, heart rhythm problems, and high blood pressure.

Gradually, I was able to consume more calories, and slightly bigger servings during the day. For instance, I was able to increase one of my daily snacks from 1/4 small apple to 1/2 small apple. With my meals, I didn't eat any apple, and at the rest of my snacks, I only ate 1/4 of a small apple. As my health improved, I was able to increase the apple at my other snacks. So....... in my case, the severity of the Insulin Resistance dictated what I was allowed to eat.

I am now able to consume quite a bit more with each meal, or snack. I eat eight times per day, and whereas previously my total caloric intake was about 1400 calories per day, I am now consuming about 2600 calories per day, without it raising my blood pressure to unhealthy levels, or causing other nasty problems. I eat small servings of fruit with each meal or snack.

The result of my modified Dash Diet was that my cholesterol is now at very healthy levels without Statins, my blood pressure, for 2007, dropped down to an average of 126/74 based on 2720 readings, and my blood pressure, so far, for 2008 has been 121/72 based on 1992 readings.

From 1998 through 2004, my blood pressure averaged 147/93, based on almost 15,000 readings.

You have posted an interesting subject. I, also, will be interested in other views on this.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 11-09-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ntbd HB User

fructose will not raise blood glucose levels much. different fruits have varying proportions of glucose to fructose

in riper fruits, there is more fructose (which is sweeter)

raisins are hi GI, but prunes are low - because prunes have the soluble fiber. The GI of fruits varies a lot. IIRC dates are about the worst.

Then again, studies are showing that fructose is probably worse in causing glycation than glucose is.

Last edited by ntbd; 11-13-2008 at 04:39 PM.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

Actually the details of the DASH diet may have answered my original query...their portions of fruit are 1/2 cup, which to put it mildly is very, very little. 4-5 of those strung out over the day should do no damage, which perhaps is why the diet actually seems to help people with insulin resistance.

Which also means I have pretty much been eating the equivalent of 6 servings of fruit just for breakfast...and probably better stop!

tamuprof45

Old 11-13-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntbd View Post
fructose will not raise blood glucose levels much. different fruits have varying proportions of glucose to fructose

in riper fruits, there is more fructose (which is sweeter)

raisins are hi GI, but prunes are low - because prunes have the soluble fiber. The GI of fruits varies a lot. IIRC dates are about the worst.

Then again, studies are showing that fructose is probably worse in causing glycation than glucose is.
That is a darn shame about dates...I love them and they are SO high in potassium and minerals. I envy the folks in CA and AZ who can actually get fresh (and presumably healthier) ones.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

ntbd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamuprof45 View Post
That is a darn shame about dates...I love them and they are SO high in potassium and minerals.
now that you mention it, the figures for dried fruits are skewed because of the water being taken out. So 1/2 cup of dried fruit might equal what... 1.5 cups of the fresh fruit?

Btw, you can ameliorate the GI of dates by taking psyllium afterwards. Did you ever put psyllium (as in Metamucil) in a glass and let it sit for 10-15 minutes? It forms a think gel. So, apparently that prevents the amylase from easily getting at the food, which in turn slows the breakdown of starch to glucose.

Acid also lowers GI, but I always forget the mechanism. Drinking milk after food might help some.

--

N.T.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

Wow thanks for the physillium tip. You noted acid...I have read many places where vinegar with food helps lower the GI as well. You will find many referenced to apple cider vinegar as an aid to high blood pressure, and I usually take some after I eat, twice a day.

tamuprof45

Old 11-15-2008, 06:48 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

ntbd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamuprof45 View Post
Wow thanks for the physillium tip. You noted acid...I have read many places where vinegar with food helps lower the GI as well. You will find many referenced to apple cider vinegar as an aid to high blood pressure, and I usually take some after I eat, twice a day.

tamuprof45
do you remember what the mechanism is?

I'd also mention that I did not observe a big difference when using acid.

For milk, the idea is this: when some component of the milk (probably the casein) reacts with stomach acid, it forms a "lozenge" that tends to shield the carbs from amylase, therefore slowing cleaving to glucose.

Closed Thread