It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 06:49 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
My 24 Hour Blood Pressure Averages for 2003 compared with 2008

I've taken my blood pressure over 25,000 times, since 1998, or about seven times per day. This morning I ran reports showing my average hourly readings for 2003 and for 2008.

My average BP for 2003 was 151/96 based on 1032 readings. Pretty awful for having worked hard on lowering my blood pressure for FIVE years! Thousands of readings, many medicine changes, diet changes, environment changes, and yet, the net fruit of my labor was an average blood pressure of 151/96! Good grief.

The following were my hourly blood pressure readings for the entire year of 2003. If anything, it will give others an idea of how one person's blood pressure varies throughout the day. The averages are listed via the 24 hour clock. So you need to substract 12 from any time after noon, in order to get the afternoon times. Thus 16 is actually 4pm. At 4pm (16) my readings were 146/92 based on 59 readings. At 10pm (22) my readings were 163/103 based on 60 readings.

Hour Systolic/Diastolic and Readings; --- for Jan 1, 2003 through Dec 31, 2003
  • 1 141/86 # 3
  • 2 144/90 # 6
  • 3 143/93 # 7
  • 4 151/98 # 7
  • 5 150/97 # 8
  • 6 153/100 # 16
  • 7 158/102 # 54
  • 8 147/93 # 83
  • 9 139/88 # 80
  • 10 143/90 # 88
  • 11 147/94 # 71
  • 12 148/95 # 73
  • 13 151/96 # 39
  • 14 148/92 # 21
  • 15 152/94 # 41
  • 16 146/92 # 59
  • 17 147/93 # 37
  • 18 152/95 # 46
  • 19 155/99 # 64
  • 20 162/101 # 71
  • 21 163/102 # 75
  • 22 163/103 # 60
  • 23 156/98 # 19
  • 24 145/97 # 4

I started a strict, frequent feeding, low calorie, low carb diet in December, 2004. The effects of the diet were almost immediate, and resulted in a lowering of my blood pressure. For 2008, my average has been 121/72, based on 1968 readings, but when I look at the hourly averages, I notice that my morning readings, from 6am through noon are now my lows for the day, whereas when my blood pressure was at very unhealthy levels, in 2003, the blood pressure levels were always bad, but the worst from 8pm to 10pm. My afternoon average blood pressure readings are somewhat higher than I would like, but acceptable since my health is improving at these levels. Interesting huh? The readings for the early morning and late night are somewhat faulty because of the low number of readings. The reason I was up at that time was probably because I wasn't feeling good, or was having problems with my heart, so I would expect higher readings during those times of illness and stress.

I also notice that I take more readings in the morning, when my blood pressure is at it's best, so that my average blood pressure of 121/72 for all of 2008, is not as good as it seems, and should probably be about 124/73, all things being equal.

The following are my hourly averages for 2008.

Hour Systolic/Diastolic and Readings; --- for Jan 1, 2008 through Nov 9, 2008
  • 1 134/75 # 8
  • 2 125/75 # 6
  • 3 128/73 # 6
  • 4 128/74 # 14
  • 5 123/71 # 43
  • 6 119/69 # 140
  • 7 112/67 # 180
  • 8 109/64 # 145
  • 9 118/71 # 127
  • 10 115/69 # 124
  • 11 118/70 # 98
  • 12 119/71 # 121
  • 13 123/73 # 67
  • 14 125/74 # 142
  • 15 122/73 # 53
  • 16 126/74 # 131
  • 17 129/76 # 60
  • 18 128/76 # 142
  • 19 128/76 # 77
  • 20 125/75 # 137
  • 21 125/74 # 85
  • 22 125/73 # 74
  • 23 131/75 # 9
  • 24 125/71 # 3

If anything, you can compare my results with your own results, or your own perceptions of your own blood pressure patterns and averages.

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 11-10-2008 at 07:15 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
Boiler20 (01-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: My 24 Hour Blood Pressure Averages for 2003 compared with 2008

Quote:
I also notice that I take more readings in the morning, when my blood pressure is at it's best,

I notice that my morning readings, from 6am through noon are now my lows for the day
This is so interesting! Do you have an explanation for it? As you know, the blood pressure of a typical person tends to be at its highest in the first part of the day until the medications kick in. When do you take your medication? I wonder if you take it very early....like 5:00 a.m.....? .

For a different perspective, have you tried plotting all this data on a chart or a graph? Sometimes visualization makes it easier to compare and analyze the data.

flowergirl

Old 11-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
... As you know, the blood pressure of a typical person tends to be at its highest in the first part of the day until the medications kick in.
From what I understand, and I could be wrong, most blood pressures are higher upon rising. When you get up, out of bed, the body kick-starts your system, to get you going. That temporarily raises the blood pressure. Thereafter, blood pressure lowers, and then gradually increases throughout the day. That doesn't apply to those who are really unhealthy and whose blood pressure is out of control.

The bed is also the most unhealthy place in the home, so that also contributes to higher blood pressure.

Or course, as you pointed out, blood pressure usually goes down some time after taking blood pressure medication.

If you look at my terrible blood pressure readings for 2003, I would guess that I got out of bed around 7am, since that was, by far, the highest reading throughout the morning or afternoon.

Then, around 8pm (20) my blood pressure would really go high, and remain that way, probably due to hormones released via my circadian rhythm. I used to dread the night because that is when all of the awful, miserable, frightening symptoms would kick in.

Quote:
When do you take your medication? I wonder if you take it very early....like 5:00 a.m.....? .
At this time, I take my Coreg at 6 am, my Warfarin at 6:15am and my Digoxin at 6:30am. When I was on many medications, I would space them out between 6am and 10am, to avoid interactions.

Quote:
For a different perspective, have you tried plotting all this data on a chart or a graph? Sometimes visualization makes it easier to compare and analyze the data.

flowergirl
I like the way you think! Visualization really makes a difference.

I do charts by hour, by month and by year, among other specialized charts. When I had less data, I used to do blood pressure by week.

I wish I could post a chart, or two, here. It used to be allowed.

By looking at my month chart, it is so much easier to see seasonal effects. Since 1998, I've ALWAYS got a blood pressure spike during some winter months. I would guess that the reasons were because of lower temperatures and increased seasonal pollens.

Regards, and take care!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 01-13-2009 at 04:35 PM.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
(male)

BobinFW HB User

What do you attribute to your success in controlling your BP? Is it the meds (different than 2003?), the low calorie diet, the low carb diet, different live style, etc? I think it is remarkable that you have been able to accomplish what you have.

Last edited by BobinFW; 11-11-2008 at 12:05 PM.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Bob, during the past 20+ years of struggling with Heart Failure, I've learned quite a bit about how to survive. The most important lesson I've learned was: To survive Heart Failure with a good quality of life, then the blood pressure MUST be at healthy levels. Over the past few years, with the improvement in my blood pressure, my health has gradually become much better and my strength and quality of life has improved quite a bit.

I've outlined the four most important steps I took, in a thread named: The four essential steps, that I've taken, that help me live with Heart Failure, in the Heart Disorders subject.

If you want to cut the link and paste it into your browser window, here is the link: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=641933

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 11-12-2008 at 07:59 AM.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

I think spacing out the medication is an excellent idea! I haven't thought of that. Remembering which medications to take and when would be the difficult part for me.

Reading about others' blood pressure trends is very interesting. Most of us do not have anything to compare our blood pressure patterns to. I don't even pretend to understand mine. Quite the opposite, I feel I never will. Perhaps even the circadian rhythm does not remain constant and changes with the circumstances. The colder weather has been causing problems for many people. It brings with it worsening of allergy symptoms, asthma and breathing problems, and increases in blood pressure. It would be nice if you managed to avoid your blood pressure spikes this winter. Anything is possible.

Please keep us informed about your progress.
flowergirl

Old 11-12-2008, 06:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
I think spacing out the medication is an excellent idea! I haven't thought of that.
20+ years ago, I was released after a stay in the hospital, with newly diagnosed Heart Failure and Atrial Fibrillation, and a bunch of heart medications to take, for the first time in my life. It was an awful, confusing and frightening time in my life. I had no idea which way was up.

I took the meds all at the same time. My heart pounded, I sweated badly, I felt very tired and my mind was fogged. I suffered severe constipation and stomach cramps that bent me over.

It took a while to figure out which meds were interacting with each other. I separated the medications by as much time as I could, and then slowly, over time, learned how much time I needed between medications. It was not easy, and the solution(s) did not come quick.

Quote:
Remembering which medications to take and when would be the difficult part for me.
At first it was impossible. Too many medications. It drove me nuts. But, slowly, finally, I figured out which meds were interacting the worst, and I concentrated on only separating those meds by at least 2 1/2 hours, the rest by an hour.

If someone is not suffering from an obvious medication interaction, I would guess that taking meds at the same time is OK. I don't really know.

Quote:
Reading about others' blood pressure trends is very interesting. Most of us do not have anything to compare our blood pressure patterns to. I don't even pretend to understand mine. Quite the opposite, I feel I never will.
My most important tool in linking Immune System Triggers to increases in Blood Pressure, Heart Rhythm problems, breathing problems and chest pains, is my blood pressure data and associated notes. Even with my 25,000 bp readings; charts and reports by hour, by month, by year, by season, etc., it has taken me hundreds of hours to just isolate ONE cause (trigger) of higher blood pressure; and there are literally hundreds!

At times I will isolate what I was sure was a positive trigger of higher blood pressure, only to determine later that I was wrong. But........ as can be seen by my results, I am getting closer and closer to isolating most of my own personal higher blood pressure triggers.

For anyone, like me, with critical disease, whose quality of life and survival depends upon a healthy blood pressure, it is essential to closely track one's blood pressure and symptoms, multiple times per day, in my humble opinion. Doctors can't do this, except, perhaps, for the wealthy.

Quote:
Perhaps even the circadian rhythm does not remain constant and changes with the circumstances.
We have hundreds of chemicals (hormones, cytokines, etc.) circulating through our bodies throughout the day. The circadian rhythm dictates the normal cycles for chemical releases in our bodies, but external and internal events also influence the release of chemicals in our bodies.

Since it is well known that excessive hormone production is responsible for high blood pressure, and that blood pressure medications try to block or inhibit these hormones, the time of day that these medications are taken can influence how well they work, and the side effects of these medications.

Quote:
The colder weather has been causing problems for many people. It brings with it worsening of allergy symptoms, asthma and breathing problems, and increases in blood pressure. It would be nice if you managed to avoid your blood pressure spikes this winter. Anything is possible.
The spikes are much lower than in the past, and at relatively healthy levels. But thanks for your well wishes.

I wish you good health, and to do very well yourself. I hope that the holidays treat you well!

Quote:
Please keep us informed about your progress.
flowergirl
Also you.

I've been reading many of your posts. You are on a lot of different medications, including more than one diuretic. Is that still the case? What are you taking currently? Do you feel that your current load of medication is working effectively?

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 11-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I've been reading many of your posts. You are on a lot of different medications, including more than one diuretic. Is that still the case? What are you taking currently? Do you feel that your current load of medication is working effectively?
Thank you for the many helpful tips and insights, which have taken years of blood pressure monitoring, and many hits and misses, to compile. I can't believe how simple yet effective they are.

I had an important appointment with one of my doctors today for which I'd had to prepare. My medications were reviewed. I asked whether I really needed them all. I do. One medication has been reduced to 1/2 dose on a trial basis, and another -a new one- was approved. That's about it as far as the meds go. My current drug regimen has been very effective. It keeps my blood pressure perfect. For this reason, no changes to my medications will be made. I am still on two diuretics. Spironolactone - not the best or most effective diuretic - is good for the heart and helps with potassium issues. The beta blocker is needed for the heart as well. The only class of blood pressure medication I don't take is an ARB. I take Lipitor, aspirin, Ramipril, hctz, Spironolactone, Norvasc, Bisoprolol, Nexium, Reglan and metformin.
I will be undergoing some invasive and non-invasive tests to try and figure out where the inflammation is. Hopefully, the doctors will be able to pin it down. In the meantime, I guess I'll do some reading about it.

flowergirl

Old 11-13-2008, 04:56 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

ntbd HB User

what's your standard deviation like?

Old 11-14-2008, 09:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntbd View Post
what's your standard deviation like?
You asked about Standard Deviation, so I ran a report showing the year, month, number of blood pressure readings, the average Systolic, the minimum Systolic, the maximum Systolic and the Systolic Std Deviation, followed by the average Diastolic for that month, the minimum Diastolic, the maximum Diastolic and the Diastolic Std Deviation.

I listed the monthly results for 1999, and for 2008, and the annual results 1999-2007. The columns of the report are not spaced real great, but the info is there.

So...... if you follow along with the following report: In February, 1999, based on 327 readings, I had an average Systolic of 154, a minimum Systolic of 117, a maximum Systolic of 203, and a standard deviation of 15........... an average Diastoic of 97 (whew, nasty!), a minimum Diastolic of 72, a maximum Diastolic of 124 and a standard deviation of 9.

These awful, unhealthy blood pressure readings were accompanied by Heart Failure, heart rhythm problems (jumping, skipping, racing, weak, strong, etc.), constant breathing difficulties, chest pains, weakness, fatigue, sweating, mental confusion and anxiety....... much anxiety.

As can be seen I was able to survive YEARS of Heart Failure and very unhealthy blood pressure and I still have a good quality of life, although somewhat restricted in what I can do. That should give a positive message to others, with less serious disease, that are also battling chronic, difficult to control, High Blood Pressure. High Blood Pressure is not expected to kill someone overnight, but needs to be maintained at a healthly level in order to maintain good health.

year,month,nbr,Systolic,min,max,std,Dias tolic,min,max,std
  • 1999 1 491 155 111 207 15 99 71 121 9
  • 1999 2 327 154 117 203 15 97 72 124 9
  • 1999 3 259 147 118 179 12 93 73 111 8
  • 1999 4 254 148 105 188 13 94 67 114 8
  • 1999 5 267 146 110 185 14 92 69 110 8
  • 1999 6 261 145 112 173 12 92 67 109 8
  • 1999 7 256 145 110 196 13 92 69 111 8
  • 1999 8 284 139 107 182 14 88 64 110 8
  • 1999 9 262 142 107 187 12 89 68 108 7
  • 1999 10 260 140 109 174 11 87 71 104 7
  • 1999 11 345 141 101 180 12 88 70 108 7
  • 1999 12 333 144 116 185 12 90 69 119 7

year,nbr,Systolic,min,max,std,Diastolic, min,max,std
  • 1999 3,599 146 101 207 14 92 64 124 9
  • 2000 3,322 145 106 184 12 92 57 120 8
  • 2001 2,375 147 103 181 12 92 61 115 7
  • 2002 1,423 150 109 192 13 96 67 119 8
  • 2003 1,032 151 108 188 13 96 68 119 8
  • 2004 2,065 146 102 183 14 90 60 116 8
  • 2005 2,526 139 96 179 12 86 45 111 8
  • 2006 3,269 136 91 172 12 79 49 101 7
  • 2007 2,720 126 93 165 12 74 50 99 7

year,month,nbr,Systolic,min,max,std,Dias tolic,min,max,std
  • 2008 1 296 123 94 154 11 72 53 88 7
  • 2008 2 277 123 93 149 12 72 50 91 7
  • 2008 3 314 126 93 159 14 72 45 98 8
  • 2008 4 283 120 78 149 12 73 52 98 7
  • 2008 5 343 120 85 158 12 70 48 94 7
  • 2008 6 161 117 100 135 8 71 58 82 5
  • 2008 7 114 114 85 148 9 70 54 93 6
  • 2008 8 97 112 89 141 10 69 57 82 6
  • 2008 9 17 116 102 137 8 68 56 76 5
  • 2008 10 46 124 98 147 10 73 60 89 7

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 11-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
year,nbr,Systolic,min,max,std,Diastolic, min,max,std
  • 1999 3,599 146 101 207 14 92 64 124 9
  • 2000 3,322 145 106 184 12 92 57 120 8
  • 2001 2,375 147 103 181 12 92 61 115 7
  • 2002 1,423 150 109 192 13 96 67 119 8
  • 2003 1,032 151 108 188 13 96 68 119 8
  • 2004 2,065 146 102 183 14 90 60 116 8
  • 2005 2,526 139 96 179 12 86 45 111 8
  • 2006 3,269 136 91 172 12 79 49 101 7
  • 2007 2,720 126 93 165 12 74 50 99 7
Some comments about the data.

Notice for 2003 I only had 1032 blood pressure readings, my Average Systolic was 151, with a minimum of 108 and a maximum of 188; and my Average Diastolic was 96, with a minimum Diastolic of 68 and a maximum Diastolic of 119.

Why did my number of blood pressure readings drop from 2375 in 2001, to 1423 in 2002, to 1032 in 2003? If I was tracking my blood pressure so closely, why did I take my blood pressure less often as my blood pressure went even higher?

The answer was, that I was getting more and more frustrated trying to reduce my blood pressure. I was giving up. I figured that, perhaps because I had a damaged, weak heart, I would always suffer from high blood pressure.

So, then, why did I start taking my blood pressure so much more often during the following years? The answer is, that my symptoms were getting much worse. My ankles, legs and feet were swelling up. I could not sleep lying down due to breathing problems and heart rhythm problems. In fact, I was having problems breathing even sitting up. I would have problems breathing after eating. I was getting weaker and poorly. So...... I started making changes to my environment and my diet, trying, in vain, to get my blood pressure down.

It was only after I went on a diet targeting Insulin Resistance, that I experienced dramatic improvements to my health. I documented on Healthboards, during the time I first started the diet, in January 2005, on a thread, I called, Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure? The link to that thread is: [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=242229[/url] At that time, I did not really know if I would continue to improve, or continue to get worsening heart failure.

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Old 11-15-2008, 06:15 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

ntbd HB User

thanks, Machaon. I was guessing that the spread would narrow as your BP dropped. That seems to be true. That seemed true in my case as well.

There's so much in this thread to reply to from you and FG, that it could take all day. But I'll restrain myself

<removed>

You most likely know that warfarin is the #1 commonly used drug with the most drug-drug and drug-food interactions. Since it's a vitamin K antagonist, are you tracking the vitamin K content of your foods?

(and btw, new oral anticoagulants like rivaroxaban, apixaban and dabigatran are being tested for afib. You won't need monitoring of your INR with that once they become marketed. )

What would you say is the mechanism by which certain foods trigger a spike in your BP? Have you tried a leukotriene blocker (SINGULAIR) to see if that helps?

--

NT

Last edited by mod-anon; 11-15-2008 at 08:30 AM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find websites.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:03 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for the link to your old thread. How interesting to follow your progress - a few pages at a time! (It is a long thread.) I noticed that you started seeing results early on - within just WEEKS of beginning the diet. Great! I tried it today just to see how I'd feel. I can't believe how full I've felt all day. It is a diet I could easily live with.

Did you know that the link to the Insulin Resistance article you supplied is still valid? What a pleasant surprise!

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 11-15-2008 at 07:09 PM. Reason: typos

Old 11-16-2008, 12:44 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

flowergirl2day, looking at my awful blood pressure averages from 1998 through 2004, it is obvious that, just like so many others, no matter what I tried; no matter how many so-called triggers of high blood pressure, I eliminated; no matter how much I experimented with my medication, my blood pressure would not come down. That was the frustrating case through 2004. I had basically given up on lowering my blood pressure...... until my health started getting much worse.

Then, I started that frequent feeding, low carb, small portion diet. It was like magic. It was the very first thing that I tried that actually lowered my blood pressure and made me feel better. I started that Insulin Resistant Diet thread on Healthboards, four years ago, to share my findings, but I didn't notice too much interest. Dieting is not easy, and there are MANY who push blood pressure "cures" that turn out to be just ineffective hype.

Once one's metabolism is better controlled through diet, then the body starts working better, and then less medication is required; and then it is easier to figure out other things (triggers) that cause higher blood pressure.

Here it is, about four years after I started that diet, and I am still on it. I love it! I eat seven to eight times per day. And.....getting closer to 70 years, I've clocked four years of improving Heart Failure.

Quote:
I can't believe how full I've felt all day.
That is one of the great things about this type of diet. You don't feel hungry. And...... if you do get hungry, no big deal because your are going to eat again shortly.

I've read that the concept of frequent, small meals, is that the body quickly learns that it doesn't have to store so many calories "around the middle", since it is frequently getting fed. Since the body doesn't have to store calories, the extra pounds are shed. I went from about 180 pounds to 130 pounds rather quickly.

But, more than that, when the body gets more calories (especially carbs) than it can handle, the metabolism becomes dysfunctional, causing all kinds of nasty health problems.

The concept, actually, is similar to the Dash diet, except for the emphasis on small portions.

Would you mind sharing your diet, and the meals that you eat, and your progress? Perhaps you could start a new thread? That way your friends can cheer you on!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 11-16-2008 at 04:19 AM.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #15
(male)

Boiler20 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
I've taken my blood pressure over 25,000 times, since 1998, or about seven times per day. This morning I ran reports showing my average hourly readings for 2003 and for 2008.

My average BP for 2003 was 151/96 based on 1032 readings. Pretty awful for having worked hard on lowering my blood pressure for FIVE years! Thousands of readings, many medicine changes, diet changes, environment changes, and yet, the net fruit of my labor was an average blood pressure of 151/96! Good grief.

The following were my hourly blood pressure readings for the entire year of 2003. If anything, it will give others an idea of how one person's blood pressure varies throughout the day. The averages are listed via the 24 hour clock. So you need to substract 12 from any time after noon, in order to get the afternoon times. Thus 16 is actually 4pm. At 4pm (16) my readings were 146/92 based on 59 readings. At 10pm (22) my readings were 163/103 based on 60 readings.

Hour Systolic/Diastolic and Readings; --- for Jan 1, 2003 through Dec 31, 2003
  • 1 141/86 # 3
  • 2 144/90 # 6
  • 3 143/93 # 7
  • 4 151/98 # 7
  • 5 150/97 # 8
  • 6 153/100 # 16
  • 7 158/102 # 54
  • 8 147/93 # 83
  • 9 139/88 # 80
  • 10 143/90 # 88
  • 11 147/94 # 71
  • 12 148/95 # 73
  • 13 151/96 # 39
  • 14 148/92 # 21
  • 15 152/94 # 41
  • 16 146/92 # 59
  • 17 147/93 # 37
  • 18 152/95 # 46
  • 19 155/99 # 64
  • 20 162/101 # 71
  • 21 163/102 # 75
  • 22 163/103 # 60
  • 23 156/98 # 19
  • 24 145/97 # 4

I started a strict, frequent feeding, low calorie, low carb diet in December, 2004. The effects of the diet were almost immediate, and resulted in a lowering of my blood pressure. For 2008, my average has been 121/72, based on 1968 readings, but when I look at the hourly averages, I notice that my morning readings, from 6am through noon are now my lows for the day, whereas when my blood pressure was at very unhealthy levels, in 2003, the blood pressure levels were always bad, but the worst from 8pm to 10pm. My afternoon average blood pressure readings are somewhat higher than I would like, but acceptable since my health is improving at these levels. Interesting huh? The readings for the early morning and late night are somewhat faulty because of the low number of readings. The reason I was up at that time was probably because I wasn't feeling good, or was having problems with my heart, so I would expect higher readings during those times of illness and stress.

I also notice that I take more readings in the morning, when my blood pressure is at it's best, so that my average blood pressure of 121/72 for all of 2008, is not as good as it seems, and should probably be about 124/73, all things being equal.

The following are my hourly averages for 2008.

Hour Systolic/Diastolic and Readings; --- for Jan 1, 2008 through Nov 9, 2008
  • 1 134/75 # 8
  • 2 125/75 # 6
  • 3 128/73 # 6
  • 4 128/74 # 14
  • 5 123/71 # 43
  • 6 119/69 # 140
  • 7 112/67 # 180
  • 8 109/64 # 145
  • 9 118/71 # 127
  • 10 115/69 # 124
  • 11 118/70 # 98
  • 12 119/71 # 121
  • 13 123/73 # 67
  • 14 125/74 # 142
  • 15 122/73 # 53
  • 16 126/74 # 131
  • 17 129/76 # 60
  • 18 128/76 # 142
  • 19 128/76 # 77
  • 20 125/75 # 137
  • 21 125/74 # 85
  • 22 125/73 # 74
  • 23 131/75 # 9
  • 24 125/71 # 3

If anything, you can compare my results with your own results, or your own perceptions of your own blood pressure patterns and averages.
Thanks for your post and research, Machaon!

I was wondering....could you please share with us the specifics of your low cal / low carb / high frequency eating diet?

Thanks!

Closed Thread