It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User
Copper and blood pressure

To the list of possible supplements, add copper. I was reading some medical studies from 2004 which noted many hypertensive people are copper deficient. Research also implied that copper has an effect on arterial compliance, so that is another pathway. I have read earlier that copper helps strengthen arteries and thus might be useful for people prone to aneurisms.

I am a little leery about taking copper supplements for concern over toxicity, but curious if anyone has more to add to this...

Would also like to know what foods might be high in copper besides blackstrap molassus.

tamuprof45

Old 11-15-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: Copper and blood pressure

tamuprof,

do you take a daily multivitamin? Most people do. Anyway, a well-known brand I looked up contains 100% RDA of copper. Do you think you need a higher concentration than that? 100% should be safe and sufficient. The percentage of a vitamin or a mineral contained in each tablet takes into account the average person's daily dietary intake of that substance. Is copper commonly found in foods? Probably not, since there's 100% of it in the vitamins. One should be really careful with high potency vitamins or supplements. I always check with my pharmacist before purchasing a new product, to make sure it is safe to use when combined with the others and the medication I take. She uses a great database I can only WISH I had access to. Even with the research done beforehand, it isn't easy to keep track of all the do's and don'ts of supplementation.

I am trying new multi's my pharmacist recommended that have a higher iron content and, unfortunately, have not saved the packaging. The print on the bottle is so darn small I can't read a thing. I don't know how much copper they contain but would guess it is 100% RDA, or less.

I didn't know that copper improves arterial compliance and thus the blood pressure. That is good to know. I guess the next step would be to read few studies.

P.S. How does a copper deficiency manifest itself?

flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2008, 06:49 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ntbd HB User

geez, I just love how this thread came out of the blue. When I first saw it, I thought how there could be (and is) an almost endless list of necessary nutrients and phytochemicals and whatnot.

Then I was sleuthing down the trail of how a virus infection can cause HTN. My interest from day 1 was on this persistent cold-like infection, which is lasting a month. My second interest immediately developed, and that was Nitric Oxide.

So, one very key point is that superoxide consumes NO. Why does that possibly apply to me so powerfully? Why is my BP up and my NO response so diminished? That leads me to my second factor: alcohol, and the stress that preceded it. Alcohol makes you lose minerals (via increased kidney excretion). I know I had a magnesium deficiency, and that is mostly reversed now.

How does that relate to copper? Well, macrophages engulf pathogens, or cells that contain pathogens. So what do they do then? They kill the pathogen with a blast of powerful free radicals, especially superoxide. The superoxide then doesn't magically disappear. If it's produced right there in or around the endothelium, then it's there to consume the short-lived NO before the NO does its vasodilating (and anti-inflammatory) function. And guess what? The body normally uses SOD (superoxide dismutase) to deactivate the superoxide, and you need copper to make the most prevalent form of SOD. SOD is a metalloenzyme.

Why should anyone else care? Stress might cause the same mineral loss. Diabetes sure does, as does excess blood glucose.

So, for me it's lots of mushrooms and turnip greens today. I think I'll drink some molasses, too - like tamu says. Spinach and cashews.

Btw, long ago I'd heard the idea that since molasses is what's left over (especially minerals) when they refine sugar, then anynody who eats sugar should take molasses to put the minerals back.

Another btw: immune cells using free radicals to kill invaders is also why people need more (anti-oxidant) vitamin C when fighting a cold. It's also why marathoners tend to get colds a lot - normal energy expenditure naturally produces free radicals from the mitochondria, which weakens their immune systems, and so they need more C, too.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

tamu45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
tamuprof,

do you take a daily multivitamin? Most people do. Anyway, a well-known brand I looked up contains 100% RDA of copper. Do you think you need a higher concentration than that? 100% should be safe and sufficient. The percentage of a vitamin or a mineral contained in each tablet takes into account the average person's daily dietary intake of that substance. Is copper commonly found in foods? Probably not, since there's 100% of it in the vitamins. One should be really careful with high potency vitamins or supplements. I always check with my pharmacist before purchasing a new product, to make sure it is safe to use when combined with the others and the medication I take. She uses a great database I can only WISH I had access to. Even with the research done beforehand, it isn't easy to keep track of all the do's and don'ts of supplementation.

I am trying new multi's my pharmacist recommended that have a higher iron content and, unfortunately, have not saved the packaging. The print on the bottle is so darn small I can't read a thing. I don't know how much copper they contain but would guess it is 100% RDA, or less.

I didn't know that copper improves arterial compliance and thus the blood pressure. That is good to know. I guess the next step would be to read few studies.

P.S. How does a copper deficiency manifest itself?

flowergirl
Funny you mention this, because I just read where a lot of supplements have copper in them, so most people get more then they need. Anuerisms run in my family, so anything that strengthens blood vessels is of major interest to me.

I don't take a multi-vitamin, but rather different vitamins because I combine the different ones: B, C, etc. with different groups of supplements at different times.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:14 PM   #5
(female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User
Exclamation Re: Copper and blood pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamuprof45 View Post
To the list of possible supplements, add copper. I was reading some medical studies from 2004 which noted many hypertensive people are copper deficient. Research also implied that copper has an effect on arterial compliance, so that is another pathway. I have read earlier that copper helps strengthen arteries and thus might be useful for people prone to aneurisms.

I am a little leery about taking copper supplements for concern over toxicity, but curious if anyone has more to add to this...

Would also like to know what foods might be high in copper besides blackstrap molassus.

tamuprof45
I have read coffe and chocolate containhigh levels of copper and toxicity is easy to do in today's day and age with our diets.

Closed Thread