It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
(male)

brach HB User
high systolic low diastolic?

Hello! i've done a search on this and couldn't find exactly what i'm looking for. Actually, searching is what is leading me to even worry about this. about a month ago i sat down at one of those blood pressure stations at some grocery store. It recorded my systolic at 133 if memory serves me right and diastole in the low 60's. i don't recall the exact numbers, but i know the systolic was high and the diastolic was low. My heart rate was recorded at 54 (i remember this because i was pretty excited at the prospect that my cardio training showed some results =D)

I'm a healthy (as far as i know) 23 year old male who doesn't have any heart problems in his family, nor have I ever had any health problems period. It seems like this high systole and low diastole is a cause for concern from what I've read. I workout at the gym pretty regularly, i weigh about 178lbs at 5'10" and train in cardio pretty regularly every week. I feel perfectly fine as far as energy goes at the gym and outside the gym. The only thing i can think of is either A) there's something seriously wrong i should have checked out or B) it's possible that the muscle that lines the arteries has thickened/strengthened from the weight training and cardio training such that the arteries would have a harder time dilating on the systolic pump thereby increasing systolic blood pressure, but since they don't have to dilate as much on the diastole pump the diastolic blood pressure would be low.

Is B a possibility? Or is this something I should have checked out? Thanks for any help guys

-Kris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2008, 08:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
Re: high systolic low diastolic?

Before you go down the HBP road, go to your Dr. or stop by a fire station or ER (when they are not busy). They will probably check your b/p for free on a accurate machine. B/P machines in stores are often inaccurate.

Systholic b/p is often 10-20 points higher when measured at the DR's or other places than one's normal environment. So 133 is not some thing to get too disturbed by. Also, the artery sometimes goes into a spasm on the first reading leading to a higher b/p.

Congratulations for taking good care of yourself. Fam

Old 11-20-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Brach,

I have to agree with famnd on this one. I wouldn't put too much credence into the accuracy of a grocery store machine. There are quite a few factors that could result in a weird reading... the machine itself being the first one.

Blood pressures change throughout the day, and everyone's reacts differantly. The key to BP measurement is the average of one's readings taken throughout the day, taken on the same machine (which must be accurate), over the course of a week or so. This is the number you are looking for. Best wishes!

Old 11-21-2008, 08:34 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

LeeAnn76 HB User

I agree that the consistency and pattern and even machine and location of where and how you take your bp are very important.

And I know what to take my bp accurately, I have to sit down at my kitchen table, rest for a few minutes-----rest my arm of the table so it is at the level of my heart----
and frankly if you just walked in and sat down, boom, 133 is not that high---and it is good that the lower is 60 because as my pharmacist, that talks about how hard your heart is working at rest---which is obviously not very hard which is a GOOD thing.----

and just think how many people have used those machines in the stores and how something may have happened to the machine-----It is better than nothing for people who don't have machines at home---but then maybe not if they can give pretty inaccurate measurements---you have no idea who, what when, how, it has been tested or re-calibrated.

Hang in there!

Old 11-21-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

When my b/p was at its' highest (over 200/110-120), I took my b/p at the pharmacy while waiting for my first prescription. Guess what it was: 120/80!!! Fam

Old 11-27-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
(male)

brach HB User

hah, rock on guys, thanks for the input. I figured it'd probably not be that accurate I just figured that even if it wasn't accurate that both would be off by 20 or so, not just one. You are all right though; about taking it more than once from the same machine, about BP changing throughout the day and what not. I was just a little more worried than normal because i haven't had health insurance in almost 5 years.

Update: went back to another machine and tried again. 120/64 heart rate was 50. any lower of a heart rate and i'll be hibernating hah

thanks again guys! congrats on the 120/80 fam, i wish more people could claim such a good BP.

Last edited by brach; 11-27-2008 at 02:51 PM.

Closed Thread