It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
(male)

pyam HB User
what to do for leg swelling taking amlodipine?

what to do for leg swelling taking amlodipine?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

LeeAnn76 HB User
Re: what to do for leg swelling taking amlodipine?

I wish I knew----that is, I was given amlodipine over 5 years ago because my doctor had samples in his office----plus I took atenolol which controls heartbeat or palpitations---and which worked fine for me---
but a huge side effect from amlodipine is the swelling----I finally for a number of reasons fired that first doctor and have a great internist and we took me off the amlodipine even though it controlled my bp well---but this new internist never understood why I was on it in the first place---

he and pharmacists and all sorts of people wondered why----a first line of treatment is a diuretic or a drug with a diuretic in it-----
I am finally on Benicar with HCTZ along with my atenolol----and finally I am hoping to get rid of swelling PLUS the neuropathy in my feet which nobody really talks about but which is a side effect of calcium channel blockers---of which amlodipine is one--

I would quiz my doctor as to why he chose amlodipine in the first place---
my new internist really likes ace inhibitors like lisinopril---all the ones that end in -ril
or the ARB's like Benicar which have a slightly different mechanism----

Unless a doctor could explain to me in no uncertain terms, totally specific with great background, I would insist on being taken off amlodipine and put on another bp med----there are many---

I have been off the amlodipine for a month or two and expect it will be over time that I recover from the swelling-----

Perhaps there are some people that need that class of drug---
I am NOT one of them

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

LeeAnn76 HB User

One more thing----and this is a huge gripe of mine---I know other people will argue and disagree because they have been fine-----
but for over 50 years I never, ever, ever had digestive or heartburn problems---but the same mechanism that relaxes whatever inside veins or arteries or tissues---whatever---that lowers bp---does the same number on the digestive system.

I began after a few months to have horrible, awful heartburn, first time in my life---that whole system relaxed by the amlodipine---
fortunately, Prilosec helped in a day---but it looks like I will be on it for the rest of my life because of the (expletive deleted) amlodipine-----
another reason I fired my doctor.

My new internist drew a picture of veins and arteries and flow and how a ccb works and leaves fluid in a place---versus how the ace inhibitors and ARB's allow a flow back that much, much lessens the swelling---I wish I could duplicate his drawing---but it made a believer out of me----

take care---but confront your doctor as to why, with all the drugs out there, you would need one with the most side effects----

and ask for a diuretic---if you have to be on a ccb, have a diuretic---that also will lower your bp

Old 11-30-2008, 03:42 AM   #4
(male)

pyam HB User
Wink Re: what to do for leg swelling taking amlodipine?

dear LeeAnn76 thank you very much for your response, hope to be back here with good news!
pyam

Old 11-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

LeeAnn76 HB User

Well don't get me started!!! I have formed a lot of opinions, especially after realizing that doctors often just don't pay attention.

I think it is perfectly, totally fine to ask a doctor, and why please tell me did you prescribe this particular class of medication-----if he has a REALLY good reason, okay.

But when I finally fired my first doctor and found an internist I really like---he didn't understand why I had been put on a calcium channel blocker as a first line of defense. He said he much preferred ace inhibitors----as I said---all the "prils--lisinopril etc---and he actually was able to explain why and draw pictures and talk about protecting my kidneys, etc.

When the lisinopril wasn't that effective, we changed to the ARB's----like Benicar which is a newer one that he really likes----I think Cozaar is a much older one, but he likes the newer one better although it is not generic yet so is more expensive---but again, he had his reasons why---and then he added the diuretic---Benicar HCTZ which has been really effective.

I know my first doctor gave me the amlodipine (then Norvasc, not generic) because he had samples in his office and he was trying to get rid of me quickly. I realize NOW that I should have done a lot of research on the various meds----but it was effective so I was not thinking about the long term side effects---for me, the short terms ones like flushing and palpitations went away rather quickly-----

Anyway, good luck. And ask questions!!! The way I look at it, if a doctor cannot explain to me why he thinks a particular drug is what I need, how it will help me and how it works-----we have a problem

Old 12-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

Calcium blockers are notorious for swelling limbs. Doctors prescribe Amlodipine and Atenolol the most because they are the cheapest generics available and the most popular. The side effects of Amlodipine are almost identical and predicatable for every patient. These include dizziness, dry mouth, edema flushing and occasional rapid heart beats. The rapid heart beats is something they were supposed to prevent. Norvasc (brand drug) is bad enough, I can just imagine the Amlodipine (generic). I'm surprised people can go to work in the day. Atenolol increases fatigue a little, though it is probably the better choice of the most popular HBP meds. prescribed. The better HBP medications are the ACE INHIBITORS which gives you a nagging cough. They are effective and safer and proven beneficial for heart disease and heart failure. Amlodipine cannot boast these beneficial results. ATENOLOL, METOPROLOL, PROPRANOL and CARVEDILOL are also effective and proven for heart disease and heart failure. The noted Ace Inhibitors are RAMIPRIL, PERINDOPRIL and LISINOPRIL. Either one is better than Calcium blockers.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyam View Post
dear LeeAnn76 thank you very much for your response, hope to be back here with good news!
pyam

Pyam,

Any new information about amlodopine?

Old 01-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
(male)

stophypertensio HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE28 View Post
Calcium blockers are notorious for swelling limbs. Doctors prescribe Amlodipine and Atenolol the most because they are the cheapest generics available and the most popular. The side effects of Amlodipine are almost identical and predicatable for every patient. These include dizziness, dry mouth, edema flushing and occasional rapid heart beats. The rapid heart beats is something they were supposed to prevent. Norvasc (brand drug) is bad enough, I can just imagine the Amlodipine (generic). I'm surprised people can go to work in the day. Atenolol increases fatigue a little, though it is probably the better choice of the most popular HBP meds. prescribed. The better HBP medications are the ACE INHIBITORS which gives you a nagging cough. They are effective and safer and proven beneficial for heart disease and heart failure. Amlodipine cannot boast these beneficial results. ATENOLOL, METOPROLOL, PROPRANOL and CARVEDILOL are also effective and proven for heart disease and heart failure. The noted Ace Inhibitors are RAMIPRIL, PERINDOPRIL and LISINOPRIL. Either one is better than Calcium blockers.
if these drugs are so "horrible" then why are they still on the market?

Old 10-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
(female)

Jewels60 HB User

I just went off this drug a few days ago to see if it was causing my numbness/cold legs in the evenings.
Anybody have these symptoms while taking this drug?
I've also got dry/burning mouth. Not sure if this is related or not but I'm sure it didn't start until I went on Amlodipine.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #10
(female)

Pat Texas HB UserPat Texas HB User

Jewels60
I am experiencing dry mouth and dry eyes. As a matter of fact, my whole body feels dry since I started taking amlodipine.
Since you have stopped taking it, are you currently taking a different medication for your blood pressure?

Old 10-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #11
(female)

Jewels60 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Texas View Post
Jewels60
I am experiencing dry mouth and dry eyes. As a matter of fact, my whole body feels dry since I started taking amlodipine.
Since you have stopped taking it, are you currently taking a different medication for your blood pressure?
No yet. So far so good. It was never all that high to begine with. That's the 2nd drug I've tried and hoping with stress reduction I can stay off it.

My legs are 99.99% better,

Old 10-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #12
(female)

Pat Texas HB UserPat Texas HB User

Jewels60,
How wonderful for you! I hope that you can continue without any of these medications.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #13
(female)

Jewels60 HB User

I'm still having some numbness or legs going to sleep and it's been 15 days. I am now questioning if it was that drug or not. I was sure hoping so but it should've been out of my system by now.

Closed Thread