It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
(female)

Maui222 HB User
Anyone else have easily spikeable BP? Should I be worried?

Hi all!

My BP is in the pre-hypertension category so I am to keep an eye on it. Through diet IF I am relaxed it's usually around 123/82 or so. GREAT! However, I notice it's SO easily spikeable! For instance, my daughter was just doing cry it out (she's 1 and is a NIGHTMARE at bed/naptime) and after she went to sleep I took my BP. It was 125/93!! HOly cow! I forced myself to relax and it went down to 120/80.

But I notice that often. If I'm stressed it goes HIGH, particularly the diastolic, not really my systolic. Is it causing me damage when it gets high? I guess what I'm asking is, am I walking around all the time with high diastolic BP b/c I very seldom sit down and relax like I do when I take my BP! I'm almost always on the go! (I'm the one with 3 kids 5 and under). So am I causing myself damage or is that normal??

I KNOW I need to exercise. I've read that a highish diastolic # can simply be a sign of a lazy heart that never gets exercise - is that true or some online myth??

I get paranoid I should be on medication for my diastolic number!

Old 12-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
(female)

ms58 HB User
Re: Anyone else have easily spikeable BP? Should I be worried?

You are on to a good point. The diastolic is the more important number for heart damage, etc. So that's the one you are supposed to keep at 80 or below. And when I first started on BP meds I was told that what they mostly do is keep our pressure from spiking when we get agitated. Most healthy people don't go around all the time with super high readings, it's when we get upset or stressed.

You would probably do yourself a favor talking with your doctor about a bp med as those spikes can be a problem over time. And they probably give you headaches? Nice to get rid of headaches too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2008, 04:09 AM   #3
(female)

Maui222 HB User

Thanks! That is kind of how I was thinking, but I even was at a cardiologist (for a totally unrelated thing I have, MVP) and my pressure there was 120/90. He said I had no other risk factors and I was SO anxious that he felt confident it was my anxiety reflected in that number. But my point is like yours - so what? Doesn't that STILL mean it can be causing damage???

I took it this morning, and it was 116/93. Forced myself to relax (I get SUCH bad cuff anxiety!) and it went down to 118/86. So my forced b/p cuff relaxation I KNOW Is probably much less relaxed than my real relaxation so maybe he's right??

What happens if someone with my top #'s goes on medication? Could the top get too low? Should I try exercise before I go to the Dr. and ask about it? I swear I'm such a hypocondriach, I felt FINE this morning then I saw "93" and I start getting imaginary chest pain, etc. I HATE being in between in "pre-hypertension". Makes me paranoid!

Old 12-03-2008, 05:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

You know there is research that suggests a high diastolic (with a normal systolic) does not lead to any more adverse outcomes than a normal blood pressure. Maybe there is new research to dispute this, but if my memory serves me correct there were two studies done. One split the patients into 4 group - one was normal - one was high systolic, high diastolic - one was high stystolic, normal diastolic - one was normal systolic, high diastolic. The normal systolic, high diastolic group fared just as well as the normal group on follow up. I think I've read somewhere that it's possible a higher diastolic actually can help protect the heart? So, I gave up a while back trying to make sense of it all ) I think your blood pressure looks pretty good. I am almost certaint that exercise would help make you feel better though and drop both your numbers by at least a few points!

My other big suggestion would be to stop yourself from taking your BP so much. I've easily gotten OCD about it a few times and it really does nothing for us. It's the trends and averages that are important. Besides 90 is only *right at high* and I really, really wouldn't worry about it. Exercise - take your BP twice a day (am & pm) and see what your avergage is after a week or a month. (Also, if you need to, take your BP 3 times at each of your two sittings then take the avg. just make sure you wait 5 minutes between each one)

(FWIW I just took my BP and it's 118/91. However, for the month of November I averaged 116/83 )

Old 12-03-2008, 05:36 AM   #5
(female)

Maui222 HB User

I actually have read that study too! In fact, I read that they call the difference between the 2 #'s your pulse pressure (right? I think I'm correct on that) and they are finding that the LOWER your pulse pressure the less your risk of stroke/heart attack. So theoretically a pressure like mine would be great! However, then you read the next thing and it says "HIgh diastolic pressure is the biggest indicatior of s/ha in young people". But they don't specify - is that with or without high systolic? I'm only 33 so I'm in that category!

You're right I NEED to not be obessed with it. I will try exercising (If these kiddos will ever nap and give me a chance!!) and try taking it only twice a week before I run to the Dr.... Especially since last month it was good all the time, for whatever reason the past few days it's been high. (hmm...houseguests, a baby that is refusing to nap, eating unhealthily???)

Old 12-03-2008, 06:02 AM   #6
(male)

marantz1935 HB User

My GP told me once she would like to see a 100/90 any day. My own diastolic was 96 initially, it's now mainly under 80. HBP is consistently 140/90 or above. Exercise has benefited me greatly by reducing my weigh and stress. I am much calmer than I've been for years!

Last edited by marantz1935; 12-03-2008 at 06:06 AM.

Closed Thread