It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #16
(male)

harcle12 HB User
Re: Need Advice For Transitioning Off Beta Blocker

I haven't posted my updates for a few days thanks to being down with a nasty head cold. All is pretty much the same and I start skipping a day with Bystolic for a week, starting Saturday night. Then every other day for a week. Then stopping completely.
The only withdrawal symptoms that I noticed at all from the reduction in dosage, and I'm not sure thats what caused it, was a few days of some anxiety and a few missed heart beats (pvc's) which is no big deal. I've only had a couple of higher BP readings and they are always on the first reading and drop immediately down on 2nd and 3rd reading. Example this morning while rushing around I decided to see how much adrenalin was pumping and took it at once after sitting down-result was 158/67 Pulse 58. I took it 2 minutes later after sitting down quietly and it dropped at once to 133/68, then below 130, so I'm not at all worried. Average BP over the last 2 weeks of dose reduction was 131/70. See doctor tomorrow am and will get lab results to see if Bystolic raised my cholesterol or blood sugar at all. So far so good and I haven't noticed much difference between 5 mgs and 2.5 mgs of Bystolic. I will post tomorrow or over the weekend with updates. Jack

Old 01-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

Thanks for continuing to share your experience with beta blocker withdrawal.
Your blood pressure seems pretty good. Your top number in the morning is high, but not too bad considering you were rushing. Still, consider how many times during the day you get nervous or get an adrenalin rush. The top number (I believe) should be better controlled, regardless of rushing etc...
In regard to lab results, Bystolic seemed to worsen most of my test results.
My glucose rose 10 points, White blood cell levels increased, cholesterol up by 25 + points, and HDL was lower. I'm pretty convinced this pill has negative effects on blood test results, unless you increase cholesterol medications. For about 2 + months last year, I switched to another beta blocker called Betaxolol, When I had my last blood test all my numbers returned closer to normal, only a slight increase in triglycerides. Cholesterol drooped 30 points, Glucose dropped 12 points, HDL was the same. Aside from the negative blood test results, Bystolic is probably still the best and most tolerable beta blocker. It's mode of action seems to target inflammation, and artery function more effectively than most HBP medications. Your blood test results should be pretty good because you are on a very low dose of Bystolic, and you've been exercising pretty intensely.

P.S. Let me know if the blood tests improved with the exercise regimen...

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-29-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #18
(male)

harcle12 HB User

Hello Ace and other readers. Here's the update. I had my doctor's visit this morning and went over the labs I had done last week. Labs first: The only noticeable increase was in the glucose level which as you mention most likely is due to the Bystolic and Atenolol prior to it. My normal level is below 99 and it was 119--Doctor thought it was nothing to worry about as it was most likely due to the nearly 2 years of beta blockers. Cholesterol was still low-118-Ratio 2.5- Triglycerides were up from 38 to 59--might be due to the Bystolic, not sure still very low. Homohysteine level was at top level of 11.9 (actually top level is 11.4 but not enough to worry about).
Will be off of Bystolic completely by Feb 13th which is my stop date. Should be fine. My avg BP is 131/70 and my doctor is convinced that my "Labile" BP is due to anxiety (I'm in the financial service industry/insurance think AIG ) and that my normal low readings are very good. Last night it was 121/68--for age 64 (soon to be 65) its not bad. He believes that the higher reading the other day was due to a severe sinus infection and ear infection and that plus no sleep/anxiety probably caused the spike--I think it's nothing more than white-coat/cuff syndrome! I even scare myself when taking it-LOL.
Lastly, still no side effects and I plan on going back to the gym tonight as I've taken a couple days off due to the sinus infection/cold. Next week and the week after will tell the tale as I start to skip a day tomorron night and then the following week, one pill every other day. I also plan to work out continuiously but take it easy as I am aware that HR could be eratic once I stop. Will keep you posted and once again, I really appreciate your support!

Old 01-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #19
(male)

harcle12 HB User

PS: did I mention that i now have to also take Augmentin for the sinus infection. First prescribed Levequlin but I passed on it as it is ver costly and can cause some major problems to your tendons and joints, like snapping them! Same with Cipro-never work out while on either drug!
Later-Jack

Old 01-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harcle - The lab results seem pretty good. I'm sure the Bystolic is causing the increased glucose. At 125 or above, it's considered diabetes, and doctors usually begin treatment with diabetic drugs. That's one of my only concerns with Bystolic so far. I never had an increased glucosed with Ace Inhibitor drugs or ARB blockers. Homocysteine levels can be lowered with B-complex vitamins daily. Bystolic is supposed to lower homocysteine levels (perhaps another unfounded fact with Bystolic). Cardiologist don't appear to monitor homcysteine levels as much anymore. Another very important part of the blood test, more important than cholesterol or homcysteine, is your C-Reacive protein level (CRP). Ask your doctor for this test. This test is an inflammatory measurement of your cardiovascular system. You can also look it up on the web. Bystolic is great at lowering this level. My last measurement while taking Bystolic was 0.16. Anything less than 1.0 indicates low cardiovascular risk. On other beta blockers, my CRP was always > 1.0. The glucose can be a very serious problem, hopefully on my next blood test I will see a lower glucose level. Most medications appear to be double edged swords.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #21
(male)

harcle12 HB User

Ace, I couldn't agree more! the C-Reactive Protein test is probably the most important cardiac test there is available. Thankfully, mine has always been good. This time it was <0.10 . Last year it was about the same. Anything under <0.80 is good. You and I are very lucky indeed! Worked out this morning fairly hard with no adverse reactions. Avg HR was 120 which is about 80% of my maximum. recovery was 2.5 mins so everything seems to be ok. A few exercise induced PVCs that disapeared after cool down. Start every other day tomorrow, skipping tomorrow evenings pill. Then we will see what really happens with out it. BP this morning pre-workout was 133/70. Have a great weekend!

Old 01-30-2010, 05:54 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(male)

That's a great CRP level. I think we can feel pretty certain that Bystolic improves the CRP level. Very soon, when you ar off the drug completely, you won't have to be concerned about these blood lipid side effects at all. You may notice an increase in CRP once you stop taking Bystolic. If the level remains below 1.0, that is still OK. In regard to PAC'S/PVC's, I've had them for a good part of my life. My doctor said they represent an extra atrial beat or mis-firing and that he's convinced that something triggers them. I know they are scary but they are also harmless. Coffee, Chocolate, Nervousness, Anxiety and consciousness of the heart beat all seem to magnify the PVC's. During exercise they seem to happen in the beginning, then they suddenly disappear. Good to hear your right on track with the weaning process.

Last edited by mod-anon; 01-30-2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #23
(male)

harcle12 HB User

Update on transitioning off of Beta Blocker Bystolic: Finished the first phase on Saturday night which lasted 2 weeks and consisted of reducing my dosage from 5mg once a day at night to 2.5mg. I now am going into the 2nd phase which is skipping a day for 1 week and only taking 1 pill every other day for a week-then stopping completely.

Yesterday was the first day of the the 2nd to last phase (skip a day for a week) of stopping Bystolic. Did not take the 2.5 mg dosage last night.

No major noticeable difference other than I was nervious this morning about taking my BP and by the time I took it, the first reading, actually first two were high (which from what I read is normal). The first reading was a whopping 169/87 but then came immediately down to 151/79 and by the 3rd reading (which were all about a minute apart), it had dropped down to 135/77 Total white coat syndrome nerviousness. My heart rate remained low-averaging between 56 and 64 when moving around. My heart rate even with the readings above were a consistant 59. I worked out Saturday morning with max HR up to 120 and it only took 2 1/2 minutes to recover. From what I read, I could experience several high BP readings that will normalize and some rapid heart rate which I haven't experienced yet-thankfully. I have had a few pvc's which I've had all my life and like ACE said in a previous post, can be caused by coffee, food, etc. mine is mostly from coffee--duh! Will continue to post daily in order to help people needing support when transitioning off of any beta blocker. Thanks, Jack (Harcle12)

Old 02-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #24
Senior Veteran
(male)

Sounds good Harcle.....Just keep monitoring that blood pressure, with the weaning process..

Old 02-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #25
(male)

harcle12 HB User

UPDATE: Weaning process off of Bystolic going well. Blood Pressure last night was 129/73. This morning I took it 6 times in a row per an article I read from one of the medical clinics--dumped the first reading (which really wasn't bad-141/79) and averaged out the remaining 5 readings which were 137/77;134/78; 134/75; 127/73 and 125/74 (pulse on all readings was between 59 and 60). the average reading for the 5 was 131/75 which was pretty good considering its usually a little higher in the mornings.
Tonight is a "skip a pill" night and so far so good.
Thanks-

Old 02-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #26
Veteran
(female)

mabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB Usermabent HB User

I stopped taking Bystolic two days ago. My cardiologist told me that it wasn't necessary to taper off of it, since he was prescribing another beta blocker to replace it. I was taking 10mg Bystolic in the afternoon. He changed it to 12.6mg Coreg twice a day. So far I have not had any withdrawal symptoms.
The reason for his changing to Coreg was that my blood pressure still remained high while taking the Bystolic. I am now taking: 50mg HCTZ; 5mg Amlodipine; 25mg enalapril twice a day- along with 12.6mg Coreg twice a day.
I'll post again if I start having withdrawal symptoms from stopping Bystolic suddenly. Mabent

Old 02-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #27
(male)

harcle12 HB User

Weds morning update: skipped Bystolic last night and no noticeable changes--worked out last night and pre-workout BP avg 135/75 with low reading of 124/74 pulse 57 after long day at office. Post workout: 10 mins after BP reading was avg of 135/76 with low reading of 129/76 pulse of 63. No missed heart beats or nervousness .
Slept good and this morning upon waking and after morning coffee,etc I took BP with one high reading (white coat fever-lol) of 151/77 which dropped to 138/72 on low end over 5 readings,. Avg of the 5 readings I took was 144/73 p-58. Since morning BP readings are normally a little higher than usual, it's no big deal and during the tapering off period, BP will fluctuate some from what I've read. Thinking about cutting my 2.5mg Bystolic in half again for tonight's dosage as I feel no side effects at all from the tapering down. Should be completely off by mid to end of next week. Again, I am posting this tapering down report to support other going through it. Thanks! Jack

Last edited by harcle12; 02-03-2010 at 05:11 PM.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #28
(male)

harcle12 HB User

Update: Afternoon BP readings in the middle of the work day was from 142/84 high to a low of 127/77 Pulse was 61-65- 4 readings-with 134/79 and 141/79 in between these. Feel great and more energy I think. Working out tonight. Jack

Old 02-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #29
(male)

harcle12 HB User

Hi Mabent! Sorry I didn't see your reply or post sooner. You most likely won't notice any sort of a withdrawal since you are going from one Beta Blocker to another as they both do the same thing. I went from nearly 2 years of taking 50mg of Atenolol to Bystolic and didn't notice anything at all except that I had more energy and could get my HR up higher during exercise on Bystolic. I can't comment on the other drugs you take as I don't know anything about them. I took both the Atenolol and Bystolic as a plan to control Labile Blood Pressure but am now controlling them with exercise and meditation, supplements. Labile Blood Pressure is not sustained high blood pressure so Beta Blockers are a first line of defence but usually if you can control the anxiety, you can control the BP. If you can't, you stand a chance of getting Sustained HBP. I'm lucky to be controlling it for now. Good luck with the change and keep us posted on how your new meds are doing for you. Jack

Old 02-04-2010, 06:54 AM   #30
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mabent - Harcle is correct. I've switched different beta blockers form time to time. A beta blocker switch to another beta blocker can be done after 24 hours, according to doctors. This happens very often. For ex. Last year Generic Metoprolol was recalled by the FDA and TOPROL had a shortage of pills. Patients were switched immediately to Coreg, Atenolol or any other beta blocker. The same with Kerlone (Betaxolol). When the FDA recalled all KERLONE and Betaxolol form pharmacy shelves, you were forced to take another beta blocker. It's been over one year, Kerlone is still not available. The substitue can happen as soon as 24 hours without any problems for most.

Last edited by ACE28; 02-04-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Closed Thread