It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #46
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User
Re: Need Advice For Transitioning Off Beta Blocker

Harcle - I was just trying to get a clearer picture of why you wanted to drop medications. Many of us, unfortunately still need to rely on a medication for better control. I'm sorry about the hardships you had to encounter. When you reached that breaking point, medications were definitely necessary. At least till you were more in control. It appears you overcame many obstacles and improved both mentally and physically. Keep up with that positive energy and determination. Of course, continue to update your weaning progress...

Old 02-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #47
(male)

harcle12 HB User

Ace-the support here is unbelievable--especially from you! I truly appreciate it! Having always been an "in-charge" kind of guy and never having had to deal with this type of emotional stress--it hit me like a sucker punch, but thanks to my wife who did deal with panic attacks in the past and was there for me, and my personal belief that I could overcome anything, I was able to get through it—but I know that it can always rear its ugly head again and I am vigilant. I certainly have a much more compassionate feeling for those who are suffering from anxiety and panic attacks and hope to be of help to some of them here on the boards as you are to me.
OK, update: two days without bystolic and feel great—supposed to take Ĺ pill (2.5mg) tonight-skip Thursday and Friday and Ĺ pill on Saturday and then I’m done!! Worked out last night and felt great during and after workout. BP last night Pre W/O was 138/75 p-56---Post W/O- 5-readings, highest 140/71(1st reading anxiety)- 131/75-128/69-117/71-115/75 – Pulse 65-69----this morning BP readings after waking:140/75-130/77-124/66-p-67-68—2nd machine: 127/72 p-62; all seems to be good. Feel absolutely great and wish I didn’t have to take the Ĺ pill tonight - Thanks Ace-Jack

Last edited by harcle12; 02-10-2010 at 12:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #48
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harcle - Anxiety is always around the corner waiting to strike. We need to at least be better prepared when it does, and I think you are. Stress and Anxiety can become very difficult opponents to challenge. In the meantime, this also has a negative physical effect, not only mental. It seems you've learned to be more sympathetic and patient through these hardships. The expression "Suffering breeds character" comes to mind.
The issues dealing with stress, panic and anxiety are probably better discussed on another board or website. The issue of blood pressure control is something you will continually need to monitor in the future. If exercise and weight control are continued, the numbers will more likely always remain closer to normal. Hypertension is known as the silent killer because it does alot of damage even at borderline levels. My cousin's BP numbers were never to high, and he stopped taking medications a few years back. He also never monitored the numbers too often, because he was feeling OK. One day he noticed blood in his urine, which was diagnosed as hypertensive kidney damage. He is now on 5 different medications, at rather high dosages for HBP control and Kidney preservation. This is the silent killer aspect of hypertension. Keep checking those numbers and monitor the heart rate. If not acceptable, your MD is their for consulatation/advice.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #49
(male)

harcle12 HB User

Ace, I only mention the stress/panic attacks/anxiety as that is what caused my BP to spike so high and stay there for so long. Monitoring my BP is now a life long thing and I have no problem going on a med down the road if necessary to control it. Right now it seems to be fairly normal with the only oddity being the high 1st reading most of the time I take it. Guess that is why they suggest you toss the first reading and relax a few minutes before taking the next one(s). 124/68 this afternoon. Will continue to post through the week with regards to the tapering off. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #50
(male)

harcle12 HB User

Feb 12 update: No gym last night as I was in Los Angeles all day in meetings. BP & HR last night were 134/71 P-57. No Pill last night and none tonight. Last2.5 mg Bystolic will be Sat night. BP at 8am this morning was 129/71 P-62 and 126/78 P-63 5mins later.
Had some GERD reflux last night while asleep which caused a couple of PVC's but nothing to worry about and am sure it was due to a rich-big dinner and a sinus flush I did earlier which causes reflux and in turn usually a few PVC's. I take prilosec once a day for refulx, so no biggie. Only 3 days and I'm done with Bystolic and all seems to be well. Glad I tappered off slowly! Everyone reading this or considering stopping beta blockers should taper off slowly! Jack (harcle12)

Old 02-16-2010, 07:20 AM   #51
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harcle - I hope all is well.....So I take it, you are now beta-blocker free as of Saturday???

Old 02-16-2010, 03:01 PM   #52
(male)

harcle12 HB User

Ace-Hope your weekend was good! I didn’t see your response for some reason or I would have answered sooner. I am Beta Blocker FREE, loving it and feeling great! Today is my birthday so I've been celebrating since Friday evening but managed to work out three times (Sat AM, last night and this morning) all without any adverse side effects or problems. Max HR was over 130 on all three cardio workouts and BP is holding firm in the 120's/low 130’s over 70's with my pulse rate at rest in the high 50's/low 60's. I did have one occasion of higher pulse rate on Saturday after working out and then doing 3 hrs of yard work. Pulse was in the high 80's and 90's but only hit 100 once, and then settled down in the high 60's once I moved from the yard work to the pool to get some sun. My pulse was not really that high really considering I was doing a lot of physical work outside so it may have been just over doing it a little—1 Ĺ hrs of gym followed by 3 hrs of yard work might be a little over kill! Anyway, it’s great to be off of the beta blockers but will continue to keep a log of BP and pulse rates until my next Doctor’s visit in a month, and maybe forever. Will keep reading the boards and stay in touch. Thanks for all of your support! I am so very appreciative of it!
Jack

Old 02-17-2010, 06:06 AM   #53
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harcle - A very happy birthday, and the very best of luck with your newly discovered medication free life. It appears that earlier side effects are gone and improvement apparent. Keep in touch with your progress and general well being now that your medication free. This will definitely be an encouragement to others looking to transition from HBP medications.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #54
(male)

harcle12 HB User

Thanks Ace! I appreciate the BD wishes and the support! I'll keep in touch and keep updating my continued progress. Hopefully others that are trying to taper off will pick up this long thread and add on so I will see it, otherwise, I'm not sure exactly how to provide advice to others as I won't know they are looking--duh--make sense?
thanks,
Jack

Old 02-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #55
Senior Veteran
(male)

Makes sense.... The feedback you provide may not always be commented on or responses may be lacking, but the post is being viewed by hundreds of others needing help.. Good luck again.......

Old 02-18-2010, 11:25 AM   #56
(male)

harcle12 HB User

Hi Ace and everyone else watching this board. Here's an update: Worked out last night litely as it was my 9th day out of the last 12 and wanted to take it a little easy as I have a big one planned for this evening and my BP readings and pulse were normal with a low of 114/70-P64 after the workout. Slept well but when I woke up this morning I was full of anxiety for some reason--maybe work related or some rebound issues and then of course, being the compulsive BP taker that I am, I took a bunch of readings that were definite adrenaline spikes maybe from the rebound withdrawal issues. Of course the more and faster I took them the higher then went, even managed to pump it up to 194/85 or something but then I STOPPED obsessing, and relaxed and the readings came down in the mid 140/70s with one low reading of 128/76--what's very odd is that my HR was in the mid and sometimes low 50's averaging 53-55. My bottom distolic number avg in the low to mid 70's with the exception of one high for me (85) reading. I believe that some of the high 160's/170's readings were perhaps movement and I'm fairly certain that the 195/85 was incorrect but still it freaked me out. Showed my wife who smartly told me there was nothing wrong and that I was doing it to myself and put the machines away (yes two ). Anyway I'll watch it but I believe that i read that short bursts of rebound hypertension was normal after stopping Beta Blockers and that it would go away. Any thoughts on it as it's only been a full 4 days that I have been off of them? Thanks, Jack

Old 02-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #57
Senior Veteran
(male)

Jack - I don't know enough about withdrawal and rebound. I do know that everyone reacts differently to medication/beta blocker withdrawal. I withdrew from all medications years ago, but I only took my blood pressure a couple of times and the numbers were OK. I was not as vigilant as you. At the time, I didn't have a HBP device at home either. I relied on my doctor's visits, or my company nurse etc... to be the judge. I stayed med.free for about 12 years.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #58
(male)

harcle12 HB User

12 years if very impressive Ace. I'm certain that this is anxiety as I can force it up while watching it. I took the first reading this am and it was 151/79 or 80 and my pulse was only 52--and I should have just accepted that it was early morning/coffee in my system, etc. But no-i had to continue to take it until i drove it sky high-how compulsive is that!!!! Duh! the last few readings were in the 140/70's with one low one of 128/76 using two different machines so I'm not worried that much--ok maybe a little but I believe that it is just do to my learning to reset itself (like you say) to being normal again. What strikes me as odd is how low my HR is as I thought it was only low when I was on BB's. Guess the working out must be good for the old heart. Thanks for being there to bounce this off of. BTW, I've looked for other posts that I thought I could add my experiences to to maybe be of help--feels really good to do that.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #59
(male)

harcle12 HB User

7:14 PT-Update: the BP spikes disapeared by 1PM and the readings have been normal to actually low this afternoon with the average between 130/68 to a low of 123/63 with a Pulse rate avg of 58. Took readings between 3:30 pm at office until just now (currently 7:11 pm and still at office) and everything seems normal or has it has been the last few weeks and certainly the last 4 days. The reason I'm posting this is that in case anyone is going through some "rebound hypertension or BP spikes", I now believe it is normal for Beta Blocker withdrawal patients to experience these symptoms, and that my body is simply trying to "reset" itself to dealing with Adrenaline rushes that are normal to most people. If you are going through tapering off of Beta Blockers or any med for that matter that requires it, just hang in there for the ride--the result is worth it! I actually feel great in spite of the anxiety this morning. Thanks and I hope this helps someone out there. Jack

Old 02-19-2010, 05:55 AM   #60
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harcle - If we look long enough, we will find something. Taking blood pressure
always brings on stress and anxiety. Only those with low or perfectly normal blood pressures, feel relaxed when taking their blood pressure. Even when they are nervous or upset, blood pressure numbers remain low. My wife has very low blood pressure. If she gets upset, excited or stressed, her blood pressure reaches a high of about 100/60. My doctor wishes that I had her numbers. Unfortunately, everyone is different. Just knowing that an abnormal tendency exists, can spike blood pressure readings thru the roof, will also create a constant state of anxiety, which will raise blood pressure levels. If we really stress over our blood pressure long enough (and it's high), and let our imaginations run wild, we will begin to paint a picture of doom and hopelessness. The fixation and anxiety is worse than the disease. It's all about attitude. Take time to smell the roses and enjoy the landscapes.

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-19-2010 at 07:34 AM. Reason: removed quote

Closed Thread