It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2009, 03:42 AM   #1
(male)

ashishmutha HB User
Blood Pressure above 200 - Please Help

Hello guys,

My mom who is 41 years old yesterday checked her blood pressure and found it 170 then next day she went to doctor and at doctor's clinic when she checked her BP it was 220 Doctor gave her few tablets she took them, it have passed around 5 hours now BP is 153.

Her age is just 41 and she got this high BP problem.

Please help me guys pls tell me is it a major problem getting that high Blood Pressure and what she can do to control BP.

My main question is: Is this a major problem?

I reffered few sites and consulted doctors on how to control it but none says that its a major problem or its common.

PLEASE HELP ME GUYS!!!!

Last edited by ashishmutha; 01-05-2009 at 03:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: Blood Pressure above 200 - Please Help

Hi,

there is no need to panic. High blood pressure in someone your mom's age is not uncommon. More and more people are having to make changes to their lifestyle in order to reduce the risk factors of cardiovascular disease. Daily use of antihypertensive medication for blood pressure regulation is often necessary. We are lucky antihypertensive medication is available.

It hasn't been established that your mom has high blood pressure. Home readings are often unreliable due to people not taking the readings correctly. Same goes for office blood pressure measurements - often, errors are made. Blood pressure is variable. In many people (with or without hypertension), it becomes markedly elevated at the doctors' office. This is called white-coat hypertension. Blood pressure can also spike considerably when we are stressed, ill, or in pain.

Diagnostic procedures include repeated blood pressure measurements, taken on several occasions (often in both arms), as well as laboratory investigation. There are some basic lab tests which will likely be ordered. Should secondary hypertension be suspected, additional tests will be done.

The chances are your mom has been told to monitor her blood pressure at home for a week or two, and to take her pills. A date has been set for a follow-up visit. It is probably during this or a subsequent visit that laboratory workup will be ordered, the effectiveness of her drug therapy evaluated, and proper cardiovascular risk assessment done. The very fact that she was sent home with medication does not indicate any perceived urgency. It could take up to several weeks for her medication to become fully effective.

Hypertension is a very managable condition. The goal of treatment is to maintain normal, or near normal blood pressure levels. Some of the people on this board have lived with hypertension for a very long time. With the help of medication, it can be managed well and quite easily.

flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

What is the bottom number? What medication was she given? FG is right in that b/p can become quite high at the DR's office for some of us especially when we are in a panic.

Most guidelines say to slowly lower the blood pressure rather than abruptly lowering it which might cause other problems. We'll help you all we can.

For now, avoid drinking a lot of alcohol but a glass or two would be alright. Alcohol can raise one's blood pressure.

Fam

Old 01-06-2009, 12:08 AM   #4
(male)

ashishmutha HB User

Thank you guys for your replies.

Her BP is now 140/81 hope to see normal soon.

Doctor asked to revisit clinic on friday lets see what he says.

Thanks alot for this guidelines FB and famnd.

@ famnd - She dont drink or smoke at all.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
(female)

violet312s HB User

140/81 is a good reading for someone who had been so high. I hope that it continues to improve.

Good luck to you and your Mom!

Old 07-11-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
(female)

allizwell HB User

Hi , your mom is healthy. My Aunt has BP of 220 always and it is a serious condition and it doesn't come down even with medications and she got her right eye almost blind. This is because of her bad lifestyle and food. Please ask your mom to change her food style and advice her to do some meditations. Meditations and a positive attitude will cure this surely.

Get her some self help books about positive attitude , that will make her inner vision more clear. And ask her to say to herself "you are healthy " instead of "i am sick " which everyone naturally says and feels.

Hope she stays healthy.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I hope the doctor also has her on a diet and exercise to help control this. Lower her sodium intake and do away with any "fast food". Eat fresh, healthy veggies. Little red meat. Lots of seafood.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Hi ashishmutha! Hope both you and your mom are doing well.

Air Pollution can contribute to higher blood pressure and also heart rhythm disorders and worsening asthma.

How is the air pollution in Chennai?

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 07-11-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
(female)

shiela11 HB User

Constant bp monitoring and bp medication is the answer. There are so many bp meds out there. With the help of a physician in a clinic or not will be most helpful. Cut back on salty foods, if she has weight issues, now is the time to try to lose some of the pounds. It is a lifestyle of changing, to save her life.

Closed Thread