It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
(male)

stophypertensio HB User
has anyone had their BP lowered by garlic?

just researching the trials on the net showed it lowered their bp enough so they dont need meds anymore but others concluded it did nothing...

your opinion?

Old 01-15-2009, 06:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: has anyone had their BP lowered by garlic?

I've now taken my blood pressure 26,000 times since 1998, or about 7 times per day. What I have gained from this experience has been invaluable in my recovery from chronically high blood pressure, heart rhythm problems, Insulin Resistance and Heart Failure.

That said, I love garlic, and use it often, but haven't noticed any effect on my blood pressure averages in any way, at any time, regardless of how much or how little I use.

Of course...... everyone is different.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Zagreus HB User

I thought recent studies had shown that garlic does not affect blood pressure.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:33 AM   #4
(male)

joe86 HB User

The most recent studies I've read about show that garlic can lower blood pressure by an "average" of 7 systolic.

The key word here is average. It means that some people see no change at all and that's true with all treatments, drugs included. But considering that garlic is tasty and, so far as anyone knows, completely safe it can do no harm to try it.

There's one caveat: most studies mention that cooking destroys most of garlic's medicinal properties. That means that you need raw garlic... I love it but it's not everyone's cup of tea. Of course you can always use garlic supplements but I like it natural.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

I actually heard good things about Hawthorne berry extract to lower BP. Bodybuilders who take steroids actually use it to lower their BP while on a cycle. it's worth a shot if you want to go the herbal remedy route.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

Garlic, Fish Oil, Coenzyme Q-10, Vitamin D and HAWTHORNE are known to lower blood pressure. As is Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium. Bananas are rich in potassium, and many have lowered blood pressure levels by eating a banana. Minerals such as Magnesium and Calcium/Potassium can be tricky, because you need a perfect balance. Garlic and fish oil are great, but if you take too much they can cause bleeding and effect your clotting factor. Meaning, you can't stop blleding so easy....

Old 02-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
(male)

semicolon07 HB User

Hi Ace,
Do you think garlic has the same blood thinning effect that a baby aspirin does? I recently started taking Garlic Extract once a day because I stopped my baby aspirin to see if it was related to my ringing in the ear. I'm not sure if I will go back to the aspirin or stay with the garlic supplement. My doc didn't have a problem with the garlic supp, but I didn't ask all the question I wanted to when I was there last.
Thanks,

Old 02-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by semicolon07 View Post
Hi Ace,
Do you think garlic has the same blood thinning effect that a baby aspirin does? I recently started taking Garlic Extract once a day because I stopped my baby aspirin to see if it was related to my ringing in the ear. I'm not sure if I will go back to the aspirin or stay with the garlic supplement. My doc didn't have a problem with the garlic supp, but I didn't ask all the question I wanted to when I was there last.
Thanks,
Semicolon07,

Garlic Oil is the most potent form of garlic for thinning the blood. (Other potent blood thinners are Fish Oil, Vitamin E and GINKGO BILOBA). The problem is the combination can cause bleeding. The higher the level of allicin in garlic which can go as high as 6000mg the more potent the garlic and it's effects. The garlic I use with pretty good results and no after taste is KYOLIC Aged Garlic. I actually use the CARDIO Formula which also has HAWTHORNE berry. Aged Garlic is aged and refined and includes very potent garlic compounds without the allicin. Do not combine aspirin with these supplements. Aspirin is great as a blood thinner but it can also cause bleeding ulcers, and other GI problems. I stopped taking aspirin about 5 years ago and substituted fish oil and garlic instead.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
(male)

semicolon07 HB User

Thanks for the reply ACE. I'm taking Kyolic One a day and I think I will keep doing that rather then going back to aspirin.

Closed Thread