It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2009, 06:56 AM   #1
(female)

Jenn3019 HB User
BP taken over clothing

What is the consensus about bp taken over clothing? I've had doctors take it both over my sleeve and have them request I roll my sleeve up. The reason I mainly ask is because i have hbp controlled by HCTZ. My avg bp is 125/85 and I normally take it later in the day never in the morning because I am usually rushing to get to work on time . Today I had extra time so I took my bp. My sleeve didnt roll up so I took it over the sleeve. It was 108/71 which is awesome but I am skeptical. I should have rolled up the sleeve and taken it again but I didnt have time. What does everyone think?

Old 01-16-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
(female)

ms58 HB User
Re: BP taken over clothing

I think if you are using a home BP machine, it will probably be less sensitive and therefore require a bare arm. The ones at the Drs. offices are probably more sensitive, but the bare arm is really the best measure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

The optimal way to measure bp is over a bare arm, but at the doctor's, where time is an issue, they will often take it over the clothing. If they were to find your bp a concern, they would most likely take it again on the bare arm.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
(male)

joe86 HB User

There's no excuse for taking bp over clothing, ever. If it's not accurate in the first place, how can the doctor judge whether to double-check it on a bare arm?

A recent study showed that 73% of health care professionals made serious procedural errors when taking blood pressure. For example, using wrong arm or cuff positions can change readings by up to 10%! How would you like to be taking drugs on the basis of a doctor who's in too much of a rush to wait for you to bare your arm?

This needs to be standardized to have any meaning.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Be proactive. Wear a sleeveless or short sleeve shirt. I wish there was a standard comfortable b/p check chair so that the patient would rest his/her arm at heart level.

The only DR's office where my bp is normal is at my Endo's. Guess what, the nurse follows all the protocols for taking one's b/p. Plus she is very warm & caring. At my primary care & other offices it soars to 210/80/90. Something needs to be done about this situation. I would even donate a chair to my Dr's office to avoid all this distress. Fam

Old 02-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

In order to get a good picture of your blood pressure take it the same time , same arm, and then look at the over all picture/graph over a period of a few weeks. A one time reading means nothing. Also note when you take your blood pressure what you have been doing at the time...did you just get out of bed, did you just walk up a flight of stairs, did you just have an argument, are your medications doing the right thing. There is nothing absolute about a blood pressure and wearing a thin fabric over your arm isn't going to make a difference and to tell you the truth I always keep my arm covered because you have no idea who has used that blood pressure cuff before you ...they don't cover them nor do they clean them so for me I keep my arm covered. If my blood pressure is so out of control then it will show up no matter what is covering my arm. Nothing about the blood pressure can be absolute...it is the best rough measurement of what is happening at the time.

Closed Thread