It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User
METOPROLOL/TOPROL being Recalled by ETHEX Pharmaceutical

Once again these cheap generic imitators (ETHEX corp) are being forced by the FDA to recall TOPROL/METROPOLOL (among numerous others including AMLODIPINE) for poor manufacturing practices and unsafe standards. In conclusion pills are junk. You can read all about it (It is public knowledge)

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-03-2009 at 12:28 AM. Reason: merging two threads with similar topics

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

METOPROLOL/TOPROL also being Recalled by SANDOZ Pharmaceutical

The recall is also extended to SANDOZ pharm. With all the recalls apparently with TOPROL/METOPROLOL the drug is currently in short supply and may be unavailable soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: METOPROLOL/TOPROL being Recalled by ETHEX Pharmaceutical

Thanks for the info, Ace...based on the posts I've read on these boards, all I can say is "It's about time!"

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-02-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: METOPROLOL/TOPROL also being Recalled by SANDOZ Pharmaceutical

Ace, why oh why does Sandoz pharmaceuticals ring a bell to me? I suspect I may have to go back and see if any of my bp meds were manufactured by this firm.

Bethsheba

Old 02-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

Wow, Looks like i got off the metoprolol just in time.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Based on a personal negative experience with a generic CCB, I am not surprised by this in the least. That's not to say that all generics are bad. Some are substandard even though our pharmacists would have us believe all generics equal their brand name counterparts. The challenge is in selecting the ones that are OK when cost is an issue.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
(male)

gbnac HB User

I get my meds from the VA and my doc says stop 100 mg of metaprolol and take 10 mg of amlodopine instead....scared me, i an't done it....whats the answer?

Old 02-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

This kinda makes me mad now. I always get generic meds for some reason. Whenever my doc writes a prescription she never checks off Dispense as written, so my pharmacist always gives me the generics. I never really thought much about it until doing some research the past few days after reading this topic, and it's kind of scary to think that not only are generics different from the real medications, BUT some generics are even different from other generics of the same medication, depending on what generic brand makes them. Kinda makes me think why so many medications didn't work for me, were the generics garbage?

The metoprolol actually worked fine for me, but it has me wondering about my other medications. So why do pharmacists give out the generics? do they think they are doing us a favor? and if i want the REAL brand medication , do i have to tell my doctor to check off the dispense as written?

Old 02-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Unfortunately many generics are made overseas in China, India etc. The quality control systems in some countries stink. Also, generic drug makers do not have to perform placebo studies for the FDA like the brand name drugs. In England placebo studies are necessary just as brand drugs. This makes sense to me. At least you can feel that the drug was tested on a hundred or a thousand patients to see if the pill works and the noted side effects. Generic drugs were allowed so that prices on drugs can be lowered and to create fair competition, unfortunately some very sleezy drug companies decided to produce junk and sell them as pills at the publics expense. In a previous post I gave an example of the drug known as ATENOLOL, the brand name is TENORMIN. The brand drug TENORMIN costs about $125.00 for 90 days, the generic pill cost about $3.00. Are these pills the same? Luckily some generics are produced by good companies or sometimes by the actual drug company who makes the brand. The price may be a little higher, but at least you can feel more confident taking your meds. For ex. TOPROL is manufactured by Astra Zeneca, but the generic METOPROLOL XL is manufactured by PAR pharmaceuticals. PAR and Astra Zeneca manufacture the pills together, but both pills were tested by CONSUMER LABS and proven to work correctly. Even though this generic is the same as the brand drug, you may have to pay a little more money. There are now about 10 generic companies who manufacture TOPROL, Pharmacies and Drug prescription plans always purchase the cheapest generic to assure a better profit. The consumer has no choice in selecting a Generic company. Drug stores will give
you the cheapest poison purchased in bulk. At least if your doctor orders a brand drug you know what your taking, and by law the drugist cannot switch brands. There is only one pill with less confusion.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

I checked my script for Propranolol and can't seem to find the maker of it, cause it's just in some regular prescription bottle. But my generic effexor (Venlafaxine) is made from some company called Osmotica Pharmaceutical, based in North Carolina. Are they safe?

Old 02-06-2009, 07:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

The PROPRANOL brand drug is called INDERAL. I don't think anybody but the FDA would be able to provide information on whether the drug is safe or not or if they've performed adequate quality control tests. If you have prescription coverage ask your doctor to write a script for the brand drug called INDERAL. He can specify (DAW) on the prescription which means Dispense as Written. They will have to give you the brand drug. If they refuse, tell them that you are getting very bad side effects with the generic which you did not get in the past with the brand drug. If you feel OK with the generic and your blood pressure is controlled, you can also stick with the generic.

Closed Thread