It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User
New Year's Resolutions & Wt loss

A noted expert in B/P says that every 10 lbs we gain since our high school days can potentially raise our b/p 4.5 points. So I've gained about 50 lbs-20 since I started on b/p meds .

If some miracle happened perhaps I could decrease my b/p by 22.5 points. For now I would be happy to lose 10 lbs.

Would love to hear stories of people who have had a significant reduction in their b/p when they lost weight.

Fam

Old 02-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: New Year's Resolutions & Wt loss

Famnd,

I can give you the reverse...a significant increase in bp with a weight gain!

I'd love to lose some weight...still haven't taken off the weight I'd gained on bp meds....

I"d be interested in doing a weight loss support thread....perhaps we could use this one.

Bethsheba

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I was able to reduce my bp meds following a 40 lb weight loss, but I still have more to loose. I gained a lot after hypertensive strokes, and lots of medications.

I think a BP related weight loss thread would be cool. I have been using the Wii fitness in my living room, and have seen great results with that (and it's fun).

Old 02-03-2009, 11:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

I stopped one of my medications (not an antihypertensive) several weeks ago due to side effects. I have lost several pounds since then -enough for people to notice and comment on- with no changes to my diet and hardly any physical activity. I hope this trend continues and plan to increase my activity level. Like so many others, I also need to lose weight for better health. I can't help wondering how much of the excess weight is due to medication.

flowergirl

Old 02-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

My carpel tunnel is better so maybe I can type again. Dr. Oz & another Dr. recently stated that some b/p meds can cause weight gain. They didn't say what to do about it since one can't go off meds. Apparently some of Oprah's wt. was from her b/p meds.

After experimenting last year, I've found that I just can't do the 1500 cal/day diet & hope to lose anything. My Endo didn't want me to go lower. I don't think he believes that I eat very healthy as he is afraid I won't get enough nutrients.

Yes, I think we need to do a weight loss thread because weight has such an impact on b/p. I've found such inspiration from how others cope with losing or maintaining their wt. Dr. Laura talked about how her husband can eat high calorie deserts. She just sits & enjoys the conversation because she loves how she looks in clothes plus the obvious health benefits. Lately, my husband has been buying some of my favorite foods which he hasn't done in the past. I usually don't like his choices. He likes them out on the table or prominent in the frig cause he forgets to eat them. Imagine that, forgetting to eat a tasty desert. Right now we have a piece of cake that is getting moldy in the downstairs frig. I better get rid of it cause the person who made the cake is coming over for cards next Monday!!! Fam

Old 02-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Well, I'm really trying. I made up a special food journal. I patterned it like a calenday with spaces for food entries, exercise, & a place to check off my food plan. I took the time to use a special french script so that I would be more inclined to record my food intake. So far I am doing better with my recording. I recorded my food intake for years until I developed HBP & went through all those bad drug reactions. I think we all have to find ways that motivate us to lose weight. I joined a wt loss group called TOPS which is helping too. It only costs $30/ yr & is non-profit. The members volunteer to give talks on nutrition etc. I'm making a list of enjoyable activities that I can do instead of eating high cal foods. What are you doing? Fam

Old 02-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

FG,

Are you finished with all your surgeries ? Are you back at work?
Which med did you have to stop? Hope you are doing better. Fam

Old 02-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
... Would love to hear stories of people who have had a significant reduction in their b/p when they lost weight.
Since I went on a diet, targeting Insulin Resistance, in Dec 2004, I went from about 180 pounds down to my current daily weight range of 119-125 pounds. That's a loss of about 55-60 pounds.

My blood pressure average dropped from 152/97, based on 1016 readings, to the current average for January of 127/73 based on 384 readings.

Going on a healthy diet isn't the only answer to Chronically High Blood Pressure, but without a healthy diet, taking medications, exercise and avoiding things that cause high blood pressure, are like swimming against the current.

If interested, the thread that I created in January of 2005, documenting my diet, is called: Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure? and is at the following link:

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=242229[/url]

Best of luck and health!

⇒ I avoid common ordinary but unhealthy household items
⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I alter my Circadian Rhythm
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 02-07-2009 at 12:00 PM.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Thanks for posting the link again. I read this thread once in its entirety and will re-read it. I remember printing it out for future reference. The only problem with that is that I can't remember where I put it, and that the printed text was very small and at times difficult to read.
Considering the challanges you have faced over the years, your results are very impressive and a great inspiration. Keep up the good work!

Old 02-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
... Considering the challanges you have faced over the years, your results are very impressive and a great inspiration. Keep up the good work!
Thanks.

Not too many want to follow the frequent, low calorie, small meal, high fiber diet, and I don't blame those who reject it. You have to think that your health and condition is badly deteriorating to make the drastic dietary changes, like I did.

In 2004 my legs, ankles and feet were swelling up and I was having constant problems breathing. My heartbeat was getting more erratic, I fought against fatigue every day, I was getting weaker and I just felt lousy. I had also suffered from Heart Failure and pre-diabetes and Insulin Resistance for 15 years.

Was that enough incentive for me to diet? Believe it or not, Not hardly!

I didn't diet, at first, because I didn't know that I had to. I didn't know that it would help and I didn't know how to diet. I never dieted before. I never had to, even with heart failure. I didn't know how to diet!

That is why, in January 2005, the title of my thread asked a question: Does an "Insulin Resistance" diet improve blood pressure? At that time, I didn't know, and I really didn't know what I was doing.

Fast forward to today, and I realize that, going on the strict diet targeting Insulin Resistance, was the best present that I have ever received. And..... I gave it to myself!

Best of luck and health to you, Flowergirl!

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 02-08-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

My challenge is keeping my family fed, and keep everybody happy/healthy.

My hubby is a hard working man, is 6'5", and is hungry. My youngest child (and his frequently visiting friends), is a teenage eating machine. Both of them would be happy to eat 4-5 times a day.

I have little appetite for anything, but am carrying 40 lbs. of med's/water/whatever weight (half of it seems to be in my face). I may cook 6 meals before I eat one.

My skills in the kitchen are impared by stroke...but I can boil, bake, & BBQ!

Old 02-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Writeleft, you represent the under-recognized heroes of our world: Mothers and Wifes who sacrifice themselves for their families.

I hope that your stroke symptoms are able to improve, and continue to get better.

Take care.................

⇒ Balanced, healthy diet
⇒ Exercise
⇒ I LOVE COREG!

Last edited by Machaon; 02-08-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

I think I represent many of us on the boards...so, thanks from all of us!

Old 02-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Macheon, thanks. You are an inspiration. I plan to investigate the Insulin resistance aspect of HBP. I'm reading two very good books right now on HBP that go into the Insulin connection. Hopefully, my Dr. will be willing to run a insulin level on me soon. Fam

Old 02-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Right/left. I know the challenge of feeding a family a healthy meal although I'm through with that phrase of my life. My husband never got in line with the program. All but one follows a healthy lifestyle today. It wasn't easy to explain why Dad ate the fluffy white stuff while they had whole wheat . I had all five take turns cooking with me so that got them involved. Luckily, I grew up eating healthy & had to walk everywhere.

I found freezing meals a blessing timewise.

It must be so difficult for you having had a stroke. I remember when my mother-in-law had one. We were able to find a few kitchen items like a special can opener to help her.

Are you able to exercise? Fam

Closed Thread