It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
(male)

RobbieD HB User
Angry Superficial Vein Thrombosis

I was admitted to a hospital for a seizure on Jan. 15, 2009 and released on Jan. 19. I have developed knots in the vein where one of my I.V.s was. It is hard,painful, and swollen with the pain radiating up and down my arm. I was given Phenagren for my nausea and my research has shown that it should not be administered through an I.V. Is this what caused my problem ? I have done the warm compresses and anti-imflammatory to no relief. My doctor has told me on three separate occasions he is not concerned. I am in a good bit of pain and he won't prescribe anything for it except the anti-imflammatory. What can I do ? Please help!!!!

Old 02-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: Superficial Vein Thrombosis

Robbie,

IV needles can cause damage to the veins, tissue and nerves. My experience was somewhat similar to yours. After several days and many puncture sites later my veins became unusable. To make things worse, several of the IV needles had been jammed into the tissue, missing the veins completely and causing the IV fluid/drugs to leak into it. This resulted in an extremely painful swelling of the lower arms. A PICC line had to be used. It took several weeks for my arms to heal and for the pain from the "bad pokes" to stop. I have a visible reminder of this experience in the form of two lumps of tissue on the inside of my left wrist and very prominent veins in that area. As I see it, the pain and discomfort were a small price to pay for the lifesaving treatments received. I know this does not help much. Like you, I had no pain medication once I got home and was forced to tough it out. Hang in there. You can do it. These types of IV-related problems are probably more common than one would expect - your doctor isn't concerned. Just to be on the safe side, if you don't notice any improvements after a while, check with his office.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 02-03-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
(male)

RobbieD HB User
Re: Superficial Vein Thrombosis

Thank you for your response to my problem. It hasn't gotten any better yet,but I will tough it out. I don't have a choice.

Robbie

Closed Thread