It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
(male)

kg21678 HB User
Red face Trying to come of bystolic and getting frustrated!!

Hi everyone, I THINK IM GOING CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZYYY!!!! I know everyone has been having wonderful effects with bystolic, and it does help your BP, and lowers your pulse rate which to SOME degree helps with my anxiety. Here's the problems: I no longer sleep straight through the night, i usually wake up atleast 4-5 times a night, im constantly waking up thirsty. My arms, legs, feet, whatever, keeps falling asleep and waking me up, once my whole body felt like it was numb. I am always out of breath, and have problems standing for too long. I'm 27 5'10 210, I have problems exercising now because im always out of breath and dizzy. So starting last night i started cutting my 5mg of bystolic in half since my phsyciatrist believes the Bystolic is having adverse affects with my anxiety (I take 5mg of paxil for it) and he pulled out some big book and looked up everything I have been telling him i felt and wouldn't you know they are all potential side effects with this drug. I felt like crap on norvasc as well, but I didn't have this problem with my arms, legs, hands BODY, falling asleep, very strange. This morning I woke up feeling anxious and short of breath, but my heart rate was at 57 bpm, and my bp was a pretty normal 124/74. Whats driving me nuts is that at 27 i would love to be LIVING life, traveling, going out to dance with my girlfriend, and being able to play basketball and lift weights. I feel like my life has been robbed from me with these damn BP meds or has it? I try to keep faith in my GP but how do i when im getting so many other people thinking i dont need it. When I took myself off norvasc, and came into the doctors office a week or two later, my bp was at 150/90, however when i took my pressure at home it was about 130-140/80. At that time i went from 5mg to nothing and was wondering if it could have caused rebound hypertension. This time i decided to cut the pill in half. My doctor seems so adamant at keeping me on a bp med, but my phsyciatrist thinks i might not even need it. I've gotten to the breaking point with this crap since it seems like each med im taking causes something that the other med needs to treat. I take a bp med that has caused acid reflux and a need for an inhaler as well as omeoprazole for acid reflux. Then, I take 5mg of paxil for anxiety but it causes you to have sensitivity to heat, and cold (as does the bp med) so i have problems going out during the summer which causes me to feel upset, which just plays back to the damn meds. Talk about a crappy crappy cycle. Anyone else try to get off bystolic? Anyone have any opinion as to where i should go from here? I also see a nutritionist just to possibly help even thought im not obese.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
(female)

ms58 HB User
Re: Trying to come of bystolic and getting frustrated!!

I have posted numerous times about my bad experiences with a beta blocker (bystolic is also a beta blocker) Atenolol, and the withdrawal saga. Beta blockers are not for people with poor peripheral circulation and as you are getting numb, you are in that category. They can constrict the peripheral vessels in our bodies and cause the shortness of breath, headaches, numbness and other problems. You are not crazy at all, you are just having an adverse reaction to a drug which is not good for you and when you finally get it all out of your system, you will go back to your normal self. Tho note below, you should not get off beta blockers cold turkey, you have to get off slowly. And there is a rebound anxiety and pulse racing reaction, so be ready to tough it out, as that's the only way your body can get itself back to normal adrenal gland regulation.

Some of us are just not good candidates for beta blockers and have the bad reactions you are having. I had many of the same symptoms, and finally got off the beta blocker, 6 1/2 months ago and am almost my "delightful" self once again, FINALLY!

But you should get off the bystolic, tho its a weaning process, not cold turkey. And then, don't get mad now, but lose some weight, if you get down to 185 lbs I bet you can get off meds, feel better, and live a great life for a young man. Losing the weight is certainly a cheap price to pay for being able to feel good and young again.

Here is a link to a search on this board about getting off Atenolol, and tho your question targets bystolic, the link is relevant as they both can cause similar problems. I found the threads at the link very helpful when I started having bad side effects and couldn't isolate the problem. Great support from the people posting there.

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/search.php?searchid=9237973[/url]

Check my other posts (click on my name, then other posts) for more info, and good luck.

Last edited by ms58; 02-04-2009 at 01:59 PM.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
(male)

kg21678 HB User

ms58

Hi thank you for letting me know im not going crazy, its been tough losing any weight since i can't work out due to the fact im always dizzy, but ive been CRAVING exercise. I mostly sit all day which is killing my hamstrings. I tried that link but its not working is there another link?

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-04-2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 02-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
(female)

ms58 HB User

To get to the link, go to the main High and Low Blood Pressure Board, one back from here, then in the upper right side look for "search this board". Click on it and type in "atenolol withdrawal" and a bunch of threads about this problem will come up and you can read thru them for much more info.

Didn't mean to offend you about weight, but when I was in my 20's, many years ago, my BP was high like yours and I was heavy. Back then we didn't get pills so easily. So instead, I lost about 40 pounds and remained with good BP for the next 30 years. It was worth the effort. Just trying to help young people stay off meds if at all possible. Again, hope everything works out well.

Last edited by ms58; 02-04-2009 at 05:16 PM.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
(male)

kg21678 HB User

Hi, definitely did not offend me with the weight thing, I actually at one point was 230 solid muscle, and now i am down to 210 with a little belly, I would like to get down to 195 at the least, but its not going to be easy. I really really would like to get the the hell off these meds so all your advice is very much appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read the essay i wrote lol, its been a very frustrating and expensive journey, one i thought i would never be traveling especially as someone that has been weight lifting for 14 years, and now has problems standing for more than 10 minutes .

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-04-2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 02-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
(male)

kg21678 HB User

MS58 I wanted to ask you, when you were coming off it did your BP fluctiate? these were my bp readings today

9:29 A.m 129/74, 9:55 am 123/64, 10:02 am 110/72. 6:22pm 121/60, 8:25 pm 150/69 67bpm after running up the stairs and coming back down. at 8:38 it was 131/66. about 15 min later i started feeling a tightness in my chest just at random, im feeling a little sleepy, and took my bp it is 134/82 now im using a digital bp machine so it could be 140/85 which is not that great, but what is up with these fluctuations? I am concerned because I went from 5mg to now 2.5 (if i cut the pill in half the correct way) But i am now tired just from walking down the stairs lol this is bad, and i am worried my GP might just continue this viscious cycle because i know when i go into his office im going to be nervous not to mention the withdrawel isn't going to help.

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-04-2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 02-05-2009, 07:46 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

BP,

This is just my opinion from what you posted. It appears other classes of HBP medications (Norvasc) were not right for you. I think a beta blocker is probably better for you because beta blockers have a calming effect, help with anxiety and lower blood pressure. I was on bystolic for awhile and bystolic was OK for blood pressure but it was not that good for anxiety.The best beta blockers for anxiety related blood pressure spikes are PROPRANOL, METOPROLOL and BETAXOLOL. These medications have been used for years to control blood pressure and have a calming effect. I'm currently taking BETAXOLOL with minimal side effects and a much better quality of life versus bystolic. Some years ago when I was approx. your age, I was going through some very tough times and my doctor prescribed LOPRESSOR (2 X a day) I would break the pill in half and take half in the AM and half in the PM. Within about 2 weeks my anxiety, mood swings, rapid heart beats were almost completely eliminated. LOPRESSOR is the brand name drug for METOPROLOL/TOPROL. The alternative is to take another blood pressure class of drug. ACE Inhibitor, Diuretic etc. but these pills will do nothing for anxiety or for the white coat syndrome. The point I'm trying to make is that their are other choices of beta blockers. The 3 beta blockers I mentioned are known to cross the blood brain barrier in a very particular way and target only beta1 receptors. The many benefits offered cannot be boasted by any other medication class currently available.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
(female)

ms58 HB User

BP1981, When I stopped taking the beta blocker, I was taken off cold turkey as I was having a very bad reaction to the drug and needed off immediately. I was put on a calcium channel blocker due to my poor peripheral circulation and the fact that I should never have been on a beta blocker at all.

But in your case, if you read over the links I referenced above, you'll find many people who got off gradually which is preferred, and as they got off their pulse rates, at first, would fluctuate a great deal, with some heart palpatations and anxiety. And many were told to not take their BP for a few weeks as the withdrawal symptoms cause wide fluctuations in BP. Also, do not do any exercise till you feel your palpations subside. Could be a month or so. You have to realize that you are going thru drug withdrawal, as these beta blockers are very intrusive in the brain, they stop production of the adrenal gland and when your body resumes receiving adrenal secreations it has to relearn the proper regulation, it takes time and you just have to tough it out. You also have reduced melatonin production with the beta blockers, which is what causes the sleep problems, so that too has to be resumed. Your body has to reboot, it will take time.

As you are getting off beta blockers, as I said above, there is a period where you feel terrible, have palpatiations and anxiety. That's just how it is getting off. If you allow the feelings to overcome you, and continue on the beta blocker or take another, you will never successfully get off and will continue experiencing the side effects. Which in your case, and mine, and a million other people are completely unacceptable.

As I have written before, if you want off of this class of drug, you will have to just tell your doctor to take you off and not listen to his/her opinion. For some reason, some doctors think beta blockers are the best thing in the world, others will not prescribe them, EVER. So you have to decide for yourself. This is your body, you know how you feel, and you have to take control.

In my case it has taken months to get this drug out of my system, but each person is different. You really need to read over the other threads so you can get a more complete picture of the withdrawal process from a larger group than me.

Tho I will advise you to get off no matter what your doctor tells you, because you need to get back to feeling normal again, and you won't till you get this out of your system.

Last edited by ms58; 02-05-2009 at 08:20 AM.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #9
(male)

kg21678 HB User

I have definitely noticed an increase in anxiety, and dizziness, and getting easily tired since cutting the pill in half, although it seems to be not as intense as the first 2 days. I just noticed though I do take a preventative inhaler for slight asthma would that be wise to continue during the withdrawel of thebystolic?

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-07-2009 at 08:18 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 02-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #10
(female)

ms58 HB User

Hi BP, I really don't know about all the effects other medications might have on withdrawal from a beta blocker (which is NOT supposed to be given to people with asthma to begin with). You mentioned in your original post that your psychiatrist looked up bystolic and recommend you get off. It seems that he/she knows what's up with that med., so if I were you I'd call him and discuss the other med and see what he recommends. It's always best to get advice from a good doctor when you find one that knows what's up and your psychiatrist seems to.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
(male)

kg21678 HB User

Just an update, during sexual activity I feel a mixture of extreme enjoyment and overwhelming adrenaline rush which leaves me shaky, difficulty breathing and tightness in the left side of my face. My Bp stays elevated for atleast 2-3hours at about 125/87. My Dr. seems to think that its normal and probably due to me being out of shape. He just instructed me not to do any heavy weight lifting. He wants to switch me to Calan SR 120 MG (verapamil) My phsyciatrist doesn't think i should take it. Neither one of them wants to talk to eachother (the dumbest thing i have ever heard). I have difficulty breathing while standing which is a damn shame, its embarrassing for a 27 year old to have the functioning of what feels like an 80 year old, i have difficulty just walking around in a store without being out of breath. It seems to have become worse while coming off this stupid drug. I have started to use the exercise bike for low intensity exercise but i wanted to know if any one else has felt this way, both doctors do not seem concerned, I do.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

Many taking different HBP drugs and beta blockers have complaints about sexual function. It appears your sexual function and enjoyment have not diminished. You also state you feel worse being off this drug. Perhaps BYSTOLIC caused your blood pressure to normalize and gave you a calmer feeling. Keep in mind beta blockers act as anti-anxiety drugs (maybe better). You also get the added protection against strokes and kidney damage. If you have high blood pressure and are a bit out of shape regardless of your age, you need to be taking a HBP medication if your numbers are high...

Old 07-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #13
(female)

Doodster HB User

Dear ms58,

This post of yours from Feb. really, really, really helped me today. Thank you so much!
Just like you I was having a bad reaction to Bystolic and had to get off of it asap. I tried cutting the pills in half for 2 days, then yesterday my health professional took me off it completely. I told her I basically couldn't endure another night from hell in the 'weaning' process. So, I'm off of Bystolic - almost cold turkey. And HoLY MoLY!

I wasn't warned about what happens when you stop beta-blockers. Weakness - dizziness - disoientation - anxiety - tingly, numb hands and feet. Today was rough, but I'm determined to get back to my normal, happy self, through exercise, organic diet and weight loss. I want to get by blood pressure lowered the natural way. No more pharmaceuticals for me. <removed>

Thanks again ms58 ~ it was so good to know someone else out there had been in the same unacceptable, terrible place from these drugs. Today, when I felt like I was falling apart, you made me realize I was - and would be - going through drug withdrawal (I can do it and my brain had to 'reboot', relearn and start functioning again. So smart. So helpful. Thank you!!!

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-29-2009 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #14
(female)

ms58 HB User

I haven't been here for a while, and your post is from late July, but in case you come back. You are very welcome. I've just passed the one year mark of being off a beta blocker, body is once again functioning properly, some very slight effects sometimes still pop up, but almost completely well again.

To anyone else seeing this thread. It's worth the effort to get off, tho a big effort, worth doing. I lost 40 lbs. during the withdrawal because as I wasn't too hungry, I figured take advantage of the moment and it worked. Really helped BP overall.

Doodster, thanks for the kind words.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:26 AM   #15
(female)

jamie007 HB Userjamie007 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg21678 View Post
ms58

Hi thank you for letting me know im not going crazy, its been tough losing any weight since i can't work out due to the fact im always dizzy, but ive been CRAVING exercise. I mostly sit all day which is killing my hamstrings. I tried that link but its not working is there another link?
KG, I so feel your pain! I've been on beta blockers (metroprolol, inderal) for 3 1/2 years now. I was FINE before starting them and use to only take an occasion inderal of 10 mgs for anxiety. I was going to have elective surgery and my blood pressure was soaringhigh whenI got to the hospital for the surgery. I took it in parking lot even and it was perfect and before that never had a problem with bp. I am 54 now, 5'2 and 180! I feel that during the first 3 years on beta blockers is where I gained all this weight. 30 pounds in 3 years?! I was always hungry and always felt the need to eat and if I didnt eat I felt hypoglycemic even though my blood sugar was where it was too be. I've not gotten metabolic syndrome and struggling day to day to deal with that by eating good and trying to control anxiety related hunger.

So here is where I am today. I take 2.5 mgs of bystolic and 12.5 hctz (water pill). I am out of breath just talking at times, I am out of breath walking up the stairs, my head feels fuzzy, I have daily anxiety STILL, and I cannot lose a pound even with water pill though my edema in fingers has gone done some now. I have very little energy and can literally SIT on the couch on computer all day lonnnng! I've never been that way! even when I was on Metroprolol/inderal, I had energy, I had a life, I had a house cleaning job!

Last summer something happened and I think it happened when i was trying to get off beta blockers all together. I developed a horrible panic disorder which caused agoraphobia which I still have both! Panic is not near as bad now days as things have settled down withthat. I've tried to get off beta blockers all together and was doing good for about 8 days straight with no meds at all then one day it jumped and my bp was like 176 over 107! I freaked and ran back to bystolic and here I am still again.

I have tachycardia an beta blockers help to control it but I dont NEED it I choose totake it so I dont have to worry about hving a tachycardia. I had one off the beta blockers the other day, during that 8 days off it, and I handled it fine but the hctz alone was helping my bp. I'm inthe process of trying betaxolol that is suppose to help better with anxiety. If I can take it without shortness of breath, etc, then I will stay on it but if I have the same problems I will wean off beta blockers all together and try hctz with somethng else. My Dr. give me valium for my anxiety when it is really bad. I take only 3 mgs or less when needed. She is awesome in giving it to me and knows I dont or wont abuse it. I also have paxil here and am debating on trying that over the betaxolol for anxiety, but betaxolol does a double whammy with anxiety and blood pressure or so am hopoing.

I know I am rambling but just so much to say. Just be so careful if you come off the bystolic and they say when you come off a beta blocker to LIMIT your activity, so coming off bystolic is NOT the time to start to exercise, wait till you feel secure in what you are doing. My heart started racing about 3 days off it, I didnt wean off the 2.5 mgs as I felt it was low enough but I took valium DAILY to get through it. at night when I would walk upthe stairs to go to bed, I would get in the bathroom at the top of the whole 16 stairs and my heart would be racing so hard and fast in my head and ears that I had to stand there for it to settle down....this was beta blocker withdrawl to me...my resting heart rate shot up to 107 every other day! good one day high the next till it settled down in the 70's and 80's.

Ok well I wrote a longer "novel" then you, lol....hope this helps! Just one last thing to reiterate...that I think the bystolic for me even at 2.5 has caused me to be so lazy and sedentary and no energy and to eat more and more food finding myself in the pantry and fridge every 2 to 3 hours! With Metropolol I was eating constanting or feelig hypoglycemic so ate all the time and gained all this weight, now I have no energy to exercise to lose it but my eating is better with hctz and with bystolic alone I was still picking on food ALL DAY!!!

Closed Thread