It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 04:49 AM   #1
(male)

abergeron HB User
My results from this morning; why so different?

I took my BP on my home monitor three times this morning, within about 1 minute between each reading (no time for 5 min). Here's what I got:

144/85
122/84
139/81

Why would it fluctuate so much within a span of 3 minutes? Is this an accuracy issue (see my other post on this page). I used the medium size cuff instead of the large.

Also, why does it pump up to a different pressure each time? Sometimes it pumps up as high as 180 before deflating, sometimes only to 160. Usually when it pumps to a lower number, I have a lower reading. Of course, then when it pumps higher, I get a quick rush of anxiety, so who knows if that's skewing the result.

Thanks for your insights.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: My results from this morning; why so different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abergeron View Post
Here's what I got:

144/85
122/84
139/81
The bottom line is that all three readings are a little high. Blood pressure gauges are not exact and frequently make less than totally correct readings. Were those the types of readings that you normally get?

I've taken my blood pressure with an Omron over 26,000 times in the past 10 years, or an average of 7 times per day. Personally, I have not been interested in exactly correct readings as much as I have been interested in getting the relative, somewhat reliable readings down to healthy levels.

Blood Pressure usually increases during the day, being the highest during the evening.

Do you have any "evening" readings?

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
(male)

abergeron HB User

Thank you, Machaon, for your response. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
Do you have any "evening" readings?
Yes, although not from the past week or so. If you read the other thread I started, I've been having some trouble figuring out which cuff to use and not feeling very confident in the results of the test since I routinely get such drastic changes in back-to-back tests. I have had readings as low as low 110s/ low 70s and as high as high 140s/ low 90s. It's hard to figure out my "consistent" BP with readings like this, know what I mean?

I also think I'm prone to having anxiety pushing up the readings, but I'm not sure. I try to relax, breathe deeply and slowly, and really calm myself when taking my pressure, but I'm a fairly anxious person to begin with. This morning was weird in that I got a high reading, spent about a minute of deep breathing, then got a relatively normal reading, breathed/relaxed some more, and it was a little high again.

Any other insights on how I can better determine my "consistent" BP?

Thanks again!

Old 02-05-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

You need to allow more time between readings so the blood vessels can relax and get back to "normal". Taking multiple BP readings so quickly is why you're getting such inconsistant readings. You should take it once in the morning, once in the afternoon (I took my monitor to work) and once in the evening. Do this for a couple weeks and you should get a good "average" BP reading for yourself. Once you get into a routine, it should help to lessen your anxiety. Your BP is not that bad, just a little high and it's probably due to anxiety. Try to relax and quit worrying. That just makes it worse . Take care.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

My 26,000 bp readings are seldom less than 30 minutes apart. If I am having a difficult time bringing the numbers down, I'll take another reading 15 minutes after the first one. I have found that if I take readings too close together, I get screwy readings like you. I think that it has something to do with the compression of the artery. The older one is, the more fragile the arteries.

Regardless of stress and anxiety, which is impossible to avoid at work, during rush hour traffic, during taking your blood pressure, etc., the important thing is getting those readings down more towards healthy levels.

If stress causes a blood pressure increase from 140/80 to 160/90; then if we reduce our blood pressure by 5 points, we are then dealing with a range of 135/75 to 155/85. Stress is nasty and can cause all kinds of health problems. So...... we need to reduce the impact of stress on our blood pressure mainly through diet, exercise and appropriate medication.

I have no idea about cuff size. Perhaps another more knowledgable fellow patient can shed some light on that.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 02-05-2009, 08:12 AM   #6
(male)

abergeron HB User

Thanks for both of the responses. That makes sense. I'll try to take more consistent readings throughout the day (although, I'm a little hesitant to fire up the machine at work--guess I could close the door to my office). I feel really personal about health issues; only my wife, my doctor, and the anonymous people on this board are privy to my elevated BP readings!

Anyway, I'm going to get in a better routine and see if I can get a more accurate read on my average BP over time. Will update.

Thanks again.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
(male)

abergeron HB User

I've taken four readings this evening:
5:30 150/87
6:30 142/84
6:45 136/79
7:00 140/79

The 5:30 reading was right when I got home from work. That is one of the highest readings I've ever had. I'm fairly amped up and stressed by the time I get home from work, though. Need to work on that.

The next three were after dinner.

Also just realized that my machine will average historical readings. So, of 48 readings over the past maybe 2 months, I average 130/83.

I feel better about that average, but not about tonight's readings. Ugh. Frustrating.

Last edited by abergeron; 02-05-2009 at 04:21 PM.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

In my humble opinion (with years of experience with malignant hypertension, ans survivor of 4 hypertensive strokes), I believe on of the worst things you can do to yourself, when living positively with hypertension...

...is to over-analyze your blood pressure readings, either by taking them to often, or by connecting them to every event in your day.

This is not because I never did that, it's because I DID!

Dial in your medication, take them once everyday...and live your life! This is just my opinion, and I certainly respect other's choices about managing hypertention.

Last edited by writeleft; 02-05-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:31 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abergeron View Post
... So, of 48 readings over the past maybe 2 months, I average 130/83.

I feel better about that average, but not about tonight's readings. Ugh. Frustrating.
You are doing the right thing. If you want to fix a problem, whether it is with your body and health, or in your work, you first have to identify the problem and then be able to analyze and verify the solution.

The human body is amazingly resilient and, in most cases, can put up with quite a lot.

I am near 70 and have had Congestive Heart Failure, Persistent Atrial Fibrillation, Chronic Tachycardia, Chronically High Blood Pressure, Immune System Dysfunction, Insulin Resistance, Pre-Diabetes and Asthma for over twenty years.

Faced with life-threatening and debilitating diseases, these were my annual "average" blood pressure readings from 1998 through 2008.
  • 1998: 152/97, readings=1016; Standard Deviation= Systolic of 15 and Diastolic of 9
    An average of 152/97 for the ENTIRE YEAR! Is it any wonder why I was getting worse!?
  • 1999 : 146/92, readings=3599; Standard Deviation= Systolic of 14 and Diastolic of 9
    An average of 146/92, each and every day, for the entire year. Better than 1998, but still a serious health problem!
  • 2000 : 145/92, readings=3322; Standard Deviation= Systolic of 12 and Diastolic of 8
  • 2001 : 147/92, readings=2375; Standard Deviation= Systolic of 12 and Diastolic of 7
  • 2002 : 150/96, readings=1423; Standard Deviation= Systolic of 13 and Diastolic of 8
  • 2003 : 151/96, readings=1032; Standard Deviation= Systolic of 13 and Diastolic of 8
    My health was getting much worse and I was very much fearful of my survival. Finally, after all these years, my health got so bad, and I felt so sick, that I decided to take my diet seriously. TIME TO DIET!!!
  • 2004 : 146/90, readings=2065; Standard Deviation= Systolic of 14 and Diastolic of 8
  • 2005 : 139/86, readings=2526; Standard Deviation= Systolic of 12 and Diastolic of 8
  • 2006 : 136/79, readings=3269; Standard Deviation= Systolic of 12 and Diastolic of 7
  • 2007 : 126/74, readings=2720; Standard Deviation= Systolic of 12 and Diastolic of 7
    An average of 126/74 for the entire year. There is hope that I can survive these nasty diseases!
  • 2008 : 122/72, readings=2543; Standard Deviation= Systolic of 12 and Diastolic of 7

My Cholesterol Numbers are also great, solely through diet, without ever having to take statins!
  • Total Cholesterol: around 160
  • HDL: around 60
  • LDL: around 90
  • Trig: around 60
  • Ratio: < 3

If I hadn't been so determined and pro-active about my own health, and not relied completely on our busy, impatient, time-restricted, non-caring medical system, I would now, without a doubt, be dead or worse by now.

As you say, your average of 130/83 is not as troublesome as some of your individual readings. If you want to bring down that average, or lower the peaks, then what worked for me were changes in diet, exercise and taking the most effective medication.

For comparison, as I listed in this post, during the entire year of 2003, my average blood pressure was 151/96 for the entire year, day after day, week after week, month after month, based on 1032 bp readings. The Systolic Standard Deviation was 13, and my Diastolic Standard Deviation was 8 which means that my peaks not only commonly ran up around 164/104, but also occasionally higher.

As can be seen, I have greatly improved my health and my quality of life, and my life expectancy mostly through diet, exercise, the proper medication and avoiding irritants that worsen my heart disease. My health is slowly improving day by day. I feel younger, stronger, more alert, and with more energy. I do upwards of 200 push-ups, 240 weight lifts, 400 steps with my stepper, and one hour power walk per day.

I would NEVER have learned so much, and had so significant an improvement in my health, had I not spent so much time, and effort, into finding out what was making me sick, and fixing it.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 02-06-2009 at 05:43 AM.

Closed Thread